My 100+ Free Cycles Procedural Textures - Blend Files and/or Settings Included

RobertT, these are wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing them.

1 Like

You’re most welcome, WayStar :smiley:

I’ve been meaning to do this for a while, and had promised some fellow forum members I’d be doing this, so I’m glad to finally have the opportunity to share some of my experiments and discoveries with everyone.

I’m uploading another set after this message.

RobertT

Cycles Agatoid (Agate-like) Procedural Texture

For Blender Artists Weekend Challenge 746 (“natural crystals” theme) I created one of my best-ever procedural texture-centric pieces, and it was all thanks to the versatility of the Cycles nodes:

There’s an even larger (2K) ultra high-resolution version of this I submitted to the Challenge, which can be viewed at this link.

If you view the larger version, please be sure to zoom in to 100% to see all the lovely details :smiley:

I’m releasing three agate-like Cycles procedural texture experiments here which preceded my final entry for the challenge:

Agatoid 1

Blend file:
Agatoid-Example-01-byrjt2017rev2018-b279.blend (99.3 KB)

Settings:

Agatoid 2

Blend file:
Agatoid-Example-2-byrjt2017rev2018-b279.blend (99.5 KB)

Agatoid 3

Blend file:
Agatoid-Example3-byrjt2017rev2018-b279.blend (99.4 KB)

Download blends, then press SHIFT Z to instantly see these results right in the viewport.

You’re free to use or adapt these three agate-like procedural blend files however you wish!

For some real agate formations, try this link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=agate+crystals&source=lnms&tbm=isch

RobertT

7 Likes

Rosy

Settings:

Blend file:
Cycles-Rosy-ProceduralTexture-byrjt2017rev2018-b279.blend (502.3 KB)

5 Likes

Cycles Procedural Texture Pack # 8

CyclesBasicProceduralTexturePack8-byrjt2017.blend (961.3 KB)

Download blend, then pres SHIFT Z to instantly see all these in the viewport.

You’re free to use or adapt this however you wish!

Something I think that’s worth repeating here:

Some of these have practical applications, while others are clearly experimental or, at first, seemingly just “for fun.” :smiley:

But even in the “for fun” ones I’ve tried to demonstrate some potentially creative usage of Cycles nodes, particularly the combination of textures and the various ways inputs and outputs are combined to achieve various effects.

These are initially meant to serve as examples, but they can be used, extended, or evolved into even better looking, stranger, more interesting shapes and colors :smiley:

Well, I hope you enjoy at least some of these.

They have been created/tested within Blender 2.79.

4 Likes

I’ll definitely play around with these when I have time for it. One thing that occurred to me is that some of these probably chew a lot of resources to render, but they are so visually appealing that there would be the possibility of using them to make image textures for some applications.

Yes:

imagine simply choosing one texture, modifying it, and then applying it to a large plane, rendering it, and then saving that image to be used as a texture within another Blender project - or anywhere else

Even in this singly capacity, Blender could function as an amazingly powerful, flexible, and extensible texture generator

:smiley:

RobertT

2 Likes

Someone was saying in the “Photoshop alternatives” thread that they had found Blender was effectively as good as PS for image work, albeit a bit trickier to set up. I’ve been wondering about that myself.

While I would say I’d prefer to use GIMP before Photoshop, and have used both over the years, I’d also point out that nearly all my post-processing in Blender is done entirely within Blender using Blender’s options.

This has been true ever since the compositor’s render nodes became a thing in Blender.

I encourage everyone to learn about these options, along with Render Layers:

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/compositing/index.html

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/render/post_process/layers.html

As well as Blender’s own very capable Color Management panel:

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/render/post_process/color_management.html

Using any or all of these tools within a project can open up such amazing possibilities :smiley:

RobertT

1 Like

I know GIMP has its fans, but I’ve never found it as intuitive and powerful as PS, and I use an older version of PS. GIMP to me has always been usable in a pinch, but it’s never impressed me enough to make me want to use it. Although maybe it’s better with 2.10.x. I’ve rarely looked at it since 2.8 was released.

Anyway I’ll check out those docs you linked.

1 Like

Cycles Procedural Texture: Golden Unruled

Settings:

Cycles-Procedural-GoldenUnruled-byrjt2018-b279.blend (545.3 KB)

Download blend, then press SHIFT Z to instantly see these results right in the viewport.

You’re free to use or adapt these three agate-like procedural blend files however you wish!

5 Likes

Cycles Procedural: Symmetry Study

Settings:

This, like the interactive Kaleidoscope Toy and Rorschader above, uses four planes using the same material for a combined symmetrical result.

CyclesProcedural-SymmetricalStudy-byrjt2018-b279.blend (617.5 KB)

Download blend, then press SHIFT Z in the 3D View to instantly see these results right in the viewport.

2 Likes

Cycles Procedural: Kaleidoscopic Patterns Redux

Settings:

Blend file:
CyclesProcedural-SymmetricalStudy2-KaleidoscopicPatternsRedux-byrjt2018-b279.blend (581.7 KB)

Other examples:

Another example with further edited parameters:

Second blend file (for this one example)
CyclesProcedural-SymmetricalStudy2-KaleidoscopicPatternsReduxB-byrjt2018-b279.blend (581.8 KB)

Download either blend, then press SHIFT Z in the 3D View to instantly see these results right in the viewport.

You’re free to use or adapt this procedural texture + blend file however you wish!

2 Likes

Cycles Procedural: Modern Art Shapes (Pica-so-and-so)

Settings:

Blend file:
CyclesProcedural-ModernArtShapes-Pica-So-and-So-byrjt2018-b279.blend (567.8 KB)

Download blend, then press SHIFT Z in the 3D View to instantly see these results right in the viewport.

You’re free to use or adapt this procedural blend file however you wish!

Some variants with settings:

Settings:

Settings:

Settings:

Settings:

Settings:

6 Likes

Hey RobertT,

great stuff, great work! Thanks a lot for sharing!

best regards
Oktansinnt

Thank you, RobertT for sharing this wonderful works,
And I already save them in my collection xD
With this wonderful occasion, I will share my own Procedural Textures, which I been created for various personal usage.INTERNAL TEXTURES MATH3.blend (8.8 MB)

11 Likes

Thank you very much for the interesting “landscapes” created through material nodes. Some might be coloured and used as a bump texture for imitating rust.

Hello! Can I use and share for everybody usage your nodes in my BIS add-on?

@RobertT, thank you. Those are super cool. I especially like the agate ones but they are all cool.

woaah,thanks for shareing your knowledge,these are very usefull