My 3D (Blender) Learning Streak

Learning from the epic beginners tutorial by Andrew Price I once again tried to dabble in 3D this time and for the first time in blender 2.8. I know this is incomplete and lightyears away from good. I’m just a beginner in 3D but a fulltime filmmaker and editor.
I would really like constructive reviews and improvements feedback from fellow artists. That’s the reason I’ve created and uploaded this post.
A good critique on the composition, to lighting, to modeling, to post-processing or anything and everything is always appreciated. If it’s bad, good, or you wanna know how I did it or teach a thing or two, go ahead and tell me. The goal is to learn, join and create along with a creative community that loves nothing more than creating breathtaking visuals.

So I’ll be regularly updating this post with new blender 3D renders and stuff until I get better and I plan on making youtube videos as well.

Uploading: top.png…

1 Like

Hello there,
I do feel kinda obligated to pose a reply to your work, since my first serious attempt with Blender was together with this tutorial as well, so I would like to give one, or two ideas of mine into the mix. :slight_smile:

The wood looks very nice, maybe a little bit strange in the reflective spots, because it is such a dark wood that you would think it’s waxed a lot, or oiled, so the surface would be less bumpy and more shiny. Not… more shiny, but it would give more sharp reflections. But if you do so I would also see if you are able to add some marks on the wood, like finger prints, or something like that. Though this is some advanced stuff, so this is maybe something for the future. :wink:
Anywhale, I think you’ve had a specific wood in mind, or the textures you were using have had the name of the wood written to it. I would look at references on how this wood looks like as furniture, the reflections and how bumpy it is depends highly on how it is manufactured and how it is processed. So reference is everything.

The mug could use a hint of the solidify modifier, it looks very very thin.
Also, if you look at reference images, it is very seldom to see that there are holes inside the mug, where the handle is connected to it. If the holes would actually go all the way through the handle you would have a hard time cleaning it, as well as holding the mug without burning your hand.
Furthermore, it seems you’ve had a hard time with the lower connection of the handle to the mug, it seems very thin and not centered properly, even though the last is hard to tell from this perspective.
I like the fact that you went the extra mile for the very fancy bubbles in your coffee, makes it look very believable and nice. :smiley:

I must say, I am not a real fan of the colors you have picked for the donuts. The chocolate is brown on brown with the table, which to me looks a bit strange to the eye and the pink doesn’t look very believable to me. I am from Germany, and when I am bowling anywhere, there are some very poor animations playing on all the monitors, I don’t know if it’s the same where you live, anyway, this is what I am talking about:

You have a very believable coffee and wood, but the colors of the donuts give it away, the solution is reference. Type in donut in google images and look at the color of the dough and also from the frosting. The sprinkles look fine to me though.

The plate looks a bit blocky, due to the few vertices you gave it. You can either loop select the corner and hit W to subdivide the loop once, or twice to give it a more round shape. Or, you go the easy way like I did back then. I created a Torus, made it very thin and added it to the edge to hide the lack of vertices and thickness.
You can look at my render to see, what I mean with the Torus and so on. Since it was my first actual render as well, do not await any master piece, there are a lot things you did better than me. :smiley:

I hope something of what I said will be useful for you, if you have some problems understanding all my rubbish, feel free to ask, I tend to be a bit hard to understand at some points, especially since english is not my native tongue.

Have good luck with your work and loads of fun with Blender. :smiley:

1 Like

Dunno – I could see the tabletop being made of some linoleum or formica type of material which wouldn’t show gouges or grime. I think the table looks fine.

As for the cup, however, the edges seem almost … fuzzy. Maybe because of the color of the light that’s reflecting it vs. the color of the cup itself. (Look at e.g. the right edge in the first shot, the left edge in the second.) In professional photography, the strobes are usually tinted very slightly (or sometimes, not-so slightly) by taping plastic “gels” over them.

As an illustration of how gels are used in photography, see this web-page. Yes, this is outdoor photography and probably written for plastic film, but it clearly illustrates the effects that this form of manipulation can have. “Color is your friend” in light as well as in objects.

1 Like

Thank you Deven, sorry for the late reply, I broke my leg in a motorcycle accident so I just got around to reading it today. I value every line of your feedback and I will improve my work and keep in mind in my next modelling.

To be Honest I rarely have donuts because I’m from India and it’s something I only see on screen very often. But what you said about the color combinations makes a lotta sense.

vielen Dank mein Freund… your english is great as well…!

Thank you, my next render is coming soon. Sorry for the late reply. I value your time and effort you put into the feedback. You are an awesome friend.

Hello there to my fellow blenderers, here is my next render. I kinda learned it from a youtuber by the name Ducky 3D (Link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlZgfcRcuy4). I will render out the glossy metallic animated video probably tonight, but wanted to share my variant of this project. All constructive critique and feedback is appreciated here on. Thank you guys!

#ducky3D

Here’s my render for today and I thought I’ll put it up here for constructive critiques. Awaiting them Eagerly!

Today I sat and did this low poly render. Again inspired from an artist from artstaion Mat Szulik(https://www.artstation.com/matszulik/albums/1260966) and learnt from the famous ducky 3D tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyts71XMtw).

A few other tutorials I checked out as well just to increase my understanding particularly this one (https://youtu.be/wB0VgyN8tOw) by Grant Abbit taught me a lot.