my armatures are deforming mesh wrong!

My armatures are deforming my mesh’s wrong! :x …i create the armature system, then parent it to the mesh…i make the weight groups…then i try it out, and its all wrong!..when i try and rotate the lower leg of a charecter, the lower leg scales down…why is this?..i have an animation of what im talking about, if ya wanna see it email me at [email protected] …and thats it…

do you have same vertexes assigned to many different weight groups? if so then I think that’s the way blender does armatures…

would like to see it changed when the sources are open… or atleast to have the option for the real movement of a bone to affect the way the mesh is deformed instead of just a straight inbetween of the affecting bones… (dunno if it makes sense or if it’s possible at all… but if anyone has for example tried to model a little bit more complicated eyelids with armatures u know exactly what I mean…)

if anyone knows how to get this working without rewrighting the code I’d also love to hear it…

Armatures (for me anyway) are one of those things that has to be set up just right.
First of all, try only assiging each vertex to one bone. And don’t fiddle with the weighting until you’ve got everything set up right.
There are a couple of REALLY good hand/arm and leg/foot armature tutorials on the blenderchar web site:

http://blenderchar.weirdhat.com/tutorials.php

Maybe try to practice setting up bones in there examples??

Otherwise you can email ([email protected]) the .blend file and I can have a quick look, although I’m definetly not an expert.

if anyone knows how to get this working without rewrighting the code I’d also love to hear it…

I can’t see much wring with the code myself. If you are carefull with how you set up the bones then you shouldn’t’ havbe much trouble. And I’m about halfway through creating a human like creature, and so far my bones are working fine… lovely actually…

Anyway… check out the blenderchar tutorials… That’s how I learn’t how to animation limbs…

Humphrey

ok, thats cool, i think thats whats wrong…i have the same vertices assigned to several different bones…GREAT! thanks guys, that really helps! :smiley: