My Bathroom

Hi guys,
the following project is a render of my bathroom - ist not finished yet, but since i’m not satisfied with some things i want to post it here, so you can maybe help me out.
Still want to add some objects like toothbrush etc…

Cycles
500 passes
5-6min
1024x1024

What i dislike:
-Noise
-Towel looks like a sack… (wanted to make it thicker so i extruded before sim)
-Is the lighting ok? Dont have a lot of experience… what would you suggest making it better?
-Any other suggestions on materials?

Thanks in advance!
Greetings Dario

Great work Dario!
There is too much noise and it’s to dark, in my opinion. Try adding more light.

ps. i ako si iz Hrvatske, pozdrav :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks!
No, I’m not from Coatia :smiley:
I guess the noise comes from ne glass - i even tried Andrew Price’s glass shader in his “Realistic Material Tutorial” to get rid of some ray calculations, but that looks kinda weird…
Dario

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=36956

Not bad at all, though some detailing and post-processing could do the trick here.

• The scene is dark. Not extremely dark, but still gives a rather… ‘gloomy’ atmosphere. Your lighting itself
    is good though, so use post processing in GIMP or the Blender Compositor to achieve a better lighting.

• The scene is noisy. Try using GIMP to despeckle the image.

• The toilet seat and lid seem to be one. It appears that you can’t lift one without lifting the other.
    Add small adjustments in shape and scale to fix this.

• Left of the toilet, there seems to be a napkin…? If that’s a towel, it needs to be bigger.
    Also, it seems like the towel is actually sticking inside a hole in the wall. You might want
    to change the position or add different lighting in that area.

• If you look closely, there’s actually a ‘hard transition’ between the roll of toilet paper and the 1
    sheet of toilet paper that’s ‘hanging’ from it. In real life, toilet paper will never hang down in a straight line,
    due to it’s curved shape on the roll.

• The tap in the shower seems to be completely bland. No color indicators or arrows to indicate hot and cold water.

• The green towel hanging over the shower glass actually seems to have some sharp corners at the top.
    Perhaps most smooth subdivisions will solve this.

• On the left, on the sink, there’s a reddish object. What is that? It actually seems like a tap,
    but the position on the sink shows that it’s actually not connected to the wall.

That’s all I got for now :slight_smile:
Good luck!

Hey, thanks for your thoughts and tips.
A little feedback on your feedback :slight_smile: :

- The toilet seat and lid seem to be one. It appears that you can’t lift one without lifting the other.
Add small adjustments in shape and scale to fix this.

Ill try to fix that.

- Left of the toilet, there seems to be a napkin…? If that’s a towel, it needs to be bigger.
Also, it seems like the towel is actually sticking inside a hole in the wall. You might want
to change the position or add different lighting in that area.

Yea this actually should be a small hand towel and i too am not satisfied with it. The “hole” is actually a shiny metal hanger for the towel.:eyebrowlift:

- If you look closely, there’s actually a ‘hard transition’ between the roll of toilet paper and the 1
sheet of toilet paper that’s ‘hanging’ from it. In real life, toilet paper will never hang down in a straight line,
due to it’s curved shape on the roll.

Agreed, will try to fix it.

- The tap in the shower seems to be completely bland. No color indicators or arrows to indicate hot and cold water.

There are actually just very tiny marks on that shower tap which you can only see when your close enough. The left handle controls the water flow and the right the temperature.

- The green towel hanging over the shower glass actually seems to have some sharp corners at the top.
Perhaps most smooth subdivisions will solve this.

I’ll see what i can do about that.

- On the left, on the sink, there’s a reddish object. What is that? It actually seems like a tap,
but the position on the sink shows that it’s actually not connected to the wall.

This should actually be a fluid soap dispenser sitting on the back flat side of the sink :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again and greetings, Dario

i don’t understand a couple of the shadows

in the shower, the chrome tube going to the showerhead is casting a shadow on the wall that i don’t get where the light source is (it seems like it would have to be a bit lower than the tube to throw the shadow ‘up’ the wall)

also, the bottle in the basket in the corner is casting a shadow ‘up’ as though lit from below rather than ‘down’ from the light over the mirror

ther eisn’t a strong ambient light in the room to account for these two relatively strong shadows being thrown ‘up’ from a low source of light

Hey,
well i dont have experience with lightening, so i put lightsources as they actually are in my room.
At the right hand to the shower is a window, where i added an emitting plane. Same goes for the door, which is on the opposite side of the room.
In addition i put a light in the ceiling :slight_smile:
So thats where all those different shadows come from… :evilgrin:

Rendered with cycles
1920x1920
1000 passes

The cloths look awesome, but weird as duplicates IMHO, maybe flip one over so you see the back?

some proportions look strange (although this may just be the angle of the camera), the main one for me being that the toilet looks slightly too round (as opposed to ovular).

Finally, get some grunge maps on there! It doesn’t mean it needs to look dirty, but but your bathroom looks unnaturally clean. Especially on the mirror, as the reflection is too prefect - and the reflected hangar looks like it’s actually hanging on the wall unless you look at the bottom of the mirror, and this kind of messes up perspective :confused: plus non tiled bits look too perfect - no painting i’ve seen has that smoothness. Take a photo of your wall and throw it in as a bump map!

Thanks for the comment - and i get your points.
Everything in this scene is modeled without a reference image or so - thats why some things look weird or unproportioned…

I discovered Blender about 4 months ago, so I’m fairly new and have a lot to learn :slight_smile:
I will try to implement your critique!
Regards Dario

I think it needs more light, and unless your bathroom is green it would also benefit from some colour correction.

The backwall is actually green yeah :slight_smile:

Hi, I like the modelling and materials.
I think the view has no center and some parts are cropped (left lamp).
May you put a rubber duck (on the toilet) or something and center the camera on this object.
You can simulate a window with a textured mesh emitter to get more interesting reflections.
Bathrooms are often very bright, so I think organic is right.

Cheers, mib.