My demoreel

Here’s my demoreel, which I made for applying into a 3D school. Most of the stuff has been posted here before, but it has some new character animation so I decided to post the entire reel. I haven’t been around long, so the reel includes almost everything I’ve ever done in 3D (some 2D drawings too). :stuck_out_tongue:

28MB, divx/mp3, running time 3:24
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~lpentika/elysiun/demoreel-divx-low-sound.avi

Please comment, especially the character animation parts.

maybe ill download it later but 28 megs seems a little big to me…Can we have one without sound maybe?

dante

I like it! :slight_smile: The guns were amazing, and the character animation was really smooth.
The only thing that disturbs me, is when the music pauses in the middle of the movie (when the mouse does the choppping thingy) ; it makes me think “is this the end?” But then it continues. Maybe you could add music for that moment too.
It would still a great reel if you leave it the way it is now; you did get accepted for the school, didn’t you? :wink:

To say the truth, its an 3d-animation studio to be founded in Rovaniemi (Lapland) in the northern Finland. Im trying to get there, too. They will invite the (not sure if all of them) “candidates” to an interview, after which they will select the people to the team. They will take 15. So, I guess we’ll know not untill after the interviews.

Heh sorry but it would be just 25MB without sound, and considerably worse I think.

Thanks! The dance track pauses in the karate-scene, but there is this drumming and chimes sound. Maybe it’s a bit too quiet. I originally intended to do some japanese-like music for the scene, but I ran out of time and put just the drums and chimes there.

Like Falgor said, there is still the interview to go. I think it’ll take few weeks until they announce who they’ll take in.

This is really good, I hope you make it :smiley:

I liked the part with the plane the best and of course the karate mouse - so funny. I didn’t hear any music in that scene either, should have turned it up more. Overall the animation made a great impression and it is obvious that you put a lot of time and work into it. Good luck!

Decent, but I think it needs a big clincher model to work though it. Something with like a million polys and real quality to make the video work better.

I read somewhere to keep it short and only show your very best work.

Nice job on the legos, I like 'em a lot.

Looks pretty good. Nice server. I was getting a download speed of 338 KB/sec, so it didn’t take long at all.

I would think the time length would be ok. Make sure of the format for submitting your demoreel.

I recommend posting on some of the other 3D forums that have more professionals that can give you specific demoreel advice.
http://www.cgtalk.com/
http://www.3dcommune.com/

Good Luck

Thanks for comments everyone. Any character animators out there who wanna comment on the rat scenes?

Decent, but I think it needs a big clincher model to work though it. Something with like a million polys and real quality to make the video work better.

I wish I had something like that done. I had only 2 weeks to make this video, and the rat wasn’t even rigged when I started. I hope I get something big and beautiful done in the future. :slight_smile:

I read somewhere to keep it short and only show your very best work.

I think that’s true when you make a reel that you send to employers (who hate watching reels after just watching 200 bad ones ;)). In this case I’m applying for a school, and I needed to demostrate as widely as possible what I’m able to do.

I recommend posting on some of the other 3D forums that have more professionals that can give you specific demoreel advice.

I don’t know about those other two forums but this isn’t a cgtalk quality reel. They are professionals over there. :-?

I don’t know about those other two forums but this isn’t a cgtalk quality reel. They are professionals over there. :-?

That’s why I would recommend getting their advice. You will find more people that have already been through college courses.

Be humble and ask for advice from all the great 3D artists to help a poor untalented wannabee. Be up front that you are trying to get accepted to a school not for employment.

I think the transitions are too slow. For instance, the karate mouse- the lead-in is too long before he chops the block of wood. A good practice would be to limit each scene to 5 seconds. I believe the entire last scene with the mouse and the gun would be better if the animation moved more quickly and was kept under the 5 second rule.

Ok, thanks for the advice. It’s really weird how you don’t see your own mistakes until someone points them out to you. I try to find some general animation guidelines somewhere, maybe buy a book about the stuff.

edit: ah I found a good looking one, wish I had read this before making the reel.

http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/3ddocs/charanim/