My Digital Painting And Other ArtWork

(tyrant monkey) #102

Yes sir! You put the soft brushes aside, (don’t forget them completely)

My two cents on edges, something I learnt from conceptart.org

hard in light
soft in shadows
hard for straights
soft for curves
hard for cast shadows
soft for form shadows

You should be breaking up your edges into hard, firm, soft and lost edges.

I was watching an interesting YouTube video from Jeff Watts who pointed out something I perhaps took for granted when it comes to learning art the amount of repetition you have to engage in before you master something. For learning Blender you can watch a tutorial and maybe after two or three tries you notice huge improvements in your work, for traditional work you can watch a tutorial on drawing a head but maybe it’s only after your 50 or 100 head do you start noticing improvements. So keep practicing.

Personally this year I am doing an hour of gesture drawing and 30 minutes of mannequinn drawing every day. My goal is to reach 500 hours of gesture drawing and 500 pages of mannequinn drawings.

(Softwarespecial) #103

Ja12 I have used the lasso/freehand tool but useally for walls and such. I know of the locking transparecy but I don’t think I have ever used it. I should it makes it quicker I usually just select the item but then I have to select it every time. If I lock that on the layers I no longer need, having to select and re-select. Thanks.

Tyrant Monkey Thanks for the tips on edges. I won’t forget the soft brushes completely if I want to do a human skin realistically I use them. Or other things done more subtle. I know about the drawing or painting idea of how long it takes. Its one thing to watch a tutorial and see how to set up the nodes. Or how to pull this out and that to get a space ship.

Yet to draw is to learn to see the shapes draw them and not just draw but plot them in a smaller space shrinking it down or enlarging if you are making a huge painting. Then if you go into the concept idea of creating something. Its then how do I take this form and put it into perspective. Takes a lot of practice and work. For me the hardest thing on a face is the eye. Thanks for the advice.

(JA12) #104

Not sure I understand what you’re saying. If you mean you have to re-select the layer you fill, then yes, which could be done on the canvas if you’re using Krita. Keeps you from destroying the edges when painting over the silhouettes, and keep organized.

(Softwarespecial) #105

JA12 I use gimp and when I do I usually just select the item on that particular layer. So if I had five layers with five things I would select the one item on that layer paint. Then when I went to another layer I would select what was on that one and paint. If I just lock the transparency on each layer I don’t need to do that. I can just paint and it won’t go outside of it. I started locking the layers transparency now.

(Softwarespecial) #106

I am looking at working on the 3/4 view more right now. As well as perspective drawing of people that is a real struggle for me. Thanks again both JA12 and TYrant Monkey.

(Softwarespecial) #107

This is one of my struggles this is not easy for me. I have some ideas of creatures or characters but its trying to put it into 3D space and not just do a side and front view. I found what appears to be a good 3/4 view tutorial and others that have to do with this type of thing. I have not had a chance to go through them yet but hopefully it will help me improve on this stuff. Note image I did. Keep in mind these are rough sketches. Its a concept test. Practicing trying to draw the idea in perspective and not just an ortho view. Though I do like concept 1. I will paint at least that one and maybe the rest. I may also turn 1 it into a 3D model.

This one is another Sand style Temple. I like the design idea but not so much the execution of it. I came across some Either Aztec or Inca temple images. I like that general look I think I will translate this design idea into that general style of building.

Insect like Creature painted up. Still a little rough but isn’t that the idea for a concept piece :slight_smile:

(JA12) #108

Yeees. That’s why I suggested something simple in 3/4 view. By simple I meant something along the lines of a wooden toy locomotive, or a smart phone, from a reference photo. Not your own design.

The first one is in 3/4 view. The others are not, and with those you’re going back to your comfort zone. The first one is a solid try though, so maybe more of that, but just with things you already have a reference photo of. The reference doesn’t have to be in 3/4 view, as long as you have enough images or information to understand what the thing you’re drawing/painting consist of.

Would also suggest to forget the word “concept” for now. To be brutally honest, it sounds like an excuse of doing or not doing something. The reason for being so negative about it is because it’s not helping and I suspect you’re missing many important points because of that. Main one being the difference between drawing and design, and practicing those separately.

A concept communicates ideas to solve a specific problem for a specific purpose. If you can’t list the project, purpose of the concept in that project, the requirements for the concept, the backstory you had or developed and the references you used to pull the ideas from, it’s not a concept.

Design/concept work is very different from practicing drawing and painting. When you practice drawing, you’re focusing on improving your ability to visualize anything. Drawing and painting already has so many things going on that you need to implement or develop a process that takes you through all the important parts of it. Adding design to all of that is like trying to get in a better shape by lifting excavators.

It’s the same as trying to get into 3D with Blender, being new to both of them, and starting all of that by modeling a human head or a car of your own design. Starting modeling with a car or human head is a big rookie mistake. Starting modeling before the design is done, even bigger rookie mistake.

Theoretically you could do it if you knew to gather the list of information you have to learn and practice, preferably in a hierarchy to get the order of things right, and have the patience to fail again and again knowing it’s the rocky path you’ve chosen for learning. Haven’t found a single learning resource that would teach all of that from the beginning to the end, probably because it would contain material to go through for a few years.

The reason I linked to the example I posted in another thread, http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=120277 is because it shows a simple example of a drawing process. The subject matter is simple, just a twig, because it’s not important. The process itself is the important part, where each step is there to solve a set of problems before going to the next one, improving the result in stages and saving time by fixing mistakes early. It doesn’t go into rendering a fully textured and detailed image, and is not the prime example of a one size fits all process for everything because there isn’t one.

(Softwarespecial) #109

A concept communicates ideas to solve a specific problem for a specific purpose. If you can’t list the project, purpose of the concept in that project, the requirements for the concept, the backstory you had or developed and the references you used to pull the ideas from, it’s not a concept.

I appreciate all your help but let me make sure we are all on the same page.
The concept stuff I do is to solve a problem. I also program and am working on first a 3D maze that one the coding is pretty much done just some fixing. The main thing is designing and creating the other mazes. I am also working on a first person Shooter. I have the A.I programmed. The only concern is if it will work when the person or creature is put into a building.

Right now the testing is done with some obstacles and open space. Probably for now I won’t have the enemy’s going up the stairs. So the concept pieces are for creating into my game projects three a FPS and a 3D maze plus one similar to the old point and click adventure games. So they are for a project and a purpose and a story and what they will be for.

Though the story of the first person shooter needs changing its kind of dumb. Though as you said I should probably practice the 3/4 view with stuff more simple and things I have reference for. Which I will do. I did find some videos from moderndayjames on YouTube.

My first modeling were glass cups. Well technically it was back when I was in High School with the student version of 3DS max though that was a very basic intro.

I am not new to drawing or painting as I have done that since 7th grade in any art class I could take. Though back then I still didn’t get the idea of painting a painting rather then drawing. I kept trying to draw the painting. I learned the Highlight core and bounce light. What I didn’t get was that light has to follow the shape of the object.
I would do all the shading you were supposed to for a sphere but I would not curve it with the shape of the sphere. So it ended up looking flat.

For me the hard part of drawing a 3D object is more of what part do you see from that angle. Example an egg. Simple object but if its at an angle how much do you see of the front side. I already do the perspective though for more artistic paintings I don’t stay with it perfectly. I already do the sketch silhouette and forms. Its the edges I have some trouble with. The image below is a simple thing I did real quick in Gimp. I get the shading part. Though I get hesitant with how much of a highlight with wood or things like that. One main thing I need to look at is knowing when a sharp edge or a soft that part I am not so good at.

I learned the art part not everything as that is a lot but a bit. I don’t always do everything by the book but I do know it. I know local value and I know shading. Though there are some stuff I don’t know. Like mood, I know some color theory. I know about Foreground mid ground and Background. Though what makes a dynamic shot or a cool shot those I am not as good at. The twig reference most of that I know its the edges I am not so good at. My struggle is in knowing what gets seen. Like a mug with a handle where the mug is turned away just enough that the handle is turned away from camera. How much do you see. You posted a picture of camera and at 18 its this 55 this. That type of information I need to look at. Thanks for the help. I will do some 3/4 view with items that exist. Though I may or not post them here. I don’t always post the simple practices. Still thanks for the help.

(JA12) #110

Ah, so it has a purpose. Sorry about that then. I can only comment on what you’re showing or telling.

I don’t see which problems the insect creature solves, as it’s generic and too loosely defined for me to just start modeling from. Even if it shows everything that needs to be modeled, I would have to check that it does by asking and by checking the already existing models.

Keeping drawing practice and design separate sounds like a good idea. There are problems in the images but I don’t want to keep pointing them out. That wouldn’t help, especially when you’re already aware of them.

(Softwarespecial) #111

Ja12 the Insect creature is for me. I was trying to get ideas for general creatures. Nothing to dramatic or different but still fun. The insect would be for the FPS since the only other creatures are also more generic. The Main guys though will be more creative but are not going to be done tell a while later. Since its for me I could of just modeled it but a friend of mine says sketch it first then render it on paper/digital paper then model it. I think mainly to get some practice doing that. I just modeled my dragons but they are more cutesy and not sure if I would want them in the game.

Right now the FPS has only two creatures so it needs more even if they are generic and for the base creatures that is fine. For the main guys that will be different but not something that will happen for a while. I still need to brave up and try to see if my A.I. will work inside a building. Right now the creature will go around obstacles but if it needs to travel to the door way to get to the player I am not so sure he won’t slowly start moving through the wall.

Its my 3D maze I need to finish right now. Its going to be for devices. I already have a maze pretty well done. The only thing I need is to add more stuff to make it more rich with environment. That and everything looks the same I need to add more pieces to change things up. Some of the other creatures I thought of maybe having in the mazes to move and act as some extra richness but not sure if for a device it would add to many Polly’s. Thanks.

(Softwarespecial) #112

An Attempt to add some mood to the images. Will be looking up tutorials on putting mood into the art.

A Portrait Study. I still struggle with the eyes.

Attachments

(Softwarespecial) #113

Some More Portrait Study’s. I learned check your second screen resolution to make sure its not distorting the image you are referencing from.

(Softwarespecial) #114

More Portrait Study’s.

(Softwarespecial) #115

Another Portrait Study

(Softwarespecial) #116

These portrait study’s along with the last two are about emotions.

(Softwarespecial) #117

One More Portrait with Expression as the focus. The other a fun Water through rocks.

(Softwarespecial) #118

Some More Portraits with Emotions in mind. The Pained Surprise is like the first moment after you step on the Lego.

(Softwarespecial) #119

Some More Emotion Portrait Study’s.

(Softwarespecial) #120

Now trying my hand at Baby Portraits.

Grumpy 2 year old

(Softwarespecial) #121

Another Portrait and a Puppy