My first Demoreel

Edit: Now here is a correct link:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OMTYF9eF0c&fmt=22

I made everything over the past year (it hasn’t even been a whole year, since I came in touch with Blender for the first time). I learned the basics of Blender in an elective at my university, but much more was self taught (tutorials and a lot of experimenting). I think you will soon realise, that my work is very focused on effects. Because that is what I like to do most… to think about how to achieve a specific effect and then try it out. Everything except for two pictures (or rather one and a half) were made entirely with Blender.

I hope you like it.

Here’s the complete link :slight_smile:
About the effects - how you did most of them I can only speculate and wonder… Awesome work there!

Wow, I’m not even finished watching it and I’m really impressed! You really need to do some tutorials.

Thanks for posting the link^^

You really need to do some tutorials

Well… I probably will. Besides: there are already some tutorials on my channel. But some of them are a little old (I mean I would do things a little different today), but I think the portal tutorial is great. And I guess it would be even more interesting for experienced users to watch the series: ‘Nion’s Blender Experiments’ where I explain the effects only very brief. I will probably release a third episode very soon about growing grass and some other stuff.

amazing job,i wouldnt hav thought blender could achieve all this , mate i would love to see your tutorials…where s your homepage

Love the dissolve/burn/evaporate effects. Is there a tut somewhere for those?

Cool stuff, enjoyed watching it.

amazing! Really good!

Neat effects. I’d take a look at the normal flipping on the fins of the ship in the docking vid. It’s pretty distracting, and not up to the quality of the rest of the reel.

mate i would love to see your tutorials…where s your homepage

The tutorials are on my youtube channel…
Edit: Here is the link:
www.youtube.com/user/NionsChannel

Love the dissolve/burn/evaporate effects. Is there a tut somewhere for those?

I talked a little about a dissolve effect in the first episode of Nion’s Blender Experiments.

I’d take a look at the normal flipping on the fins of the ship in the docking vid. It’s pretty distracting, and not up to the quality of the rest of the reel.

I know :confused:
These are things you don’t see till it’s rendered.

really nice effects here. Did you use any other software besides Blender for the reel? I mean for the transitions and some composite effects. After effects just came to my mind.
Really nice effectwork. I also digg the music, whats that?
The only thing i like to mention is, that the images are too saturated for me. And the spaceship in the docking station seems to be poorly textured. (and of course the normal flipping doenst look good. Did you use rt=1 render?)

I made the transitions with Blender as well. For example: I rendered two clips, then made a new .blend file which renders only a black screen and then I just used image inputs in the composite node editor to get my two clips together. The only other program I used for the animations is virtualdub… only to put everything together and compress it afterwards.

The music is Sooner or Later (Instrumental) from Trifonic.

And the spaceship in the docking station seems to be poorly textured. (and of course the normal flipping doenst look good. Did you use rt=1 render?)

Yes I have to admit I’m not very good at texturing… the clip with the space ship was the only one where I used something else than procedural textures. And I didn’t use render simplyfications… I didn’t even know that was possible back then… it was my first ‘bigger’ animation (Yes they are all short, but you know what I mean)

Amazingly beautiful, wow! Thanks for sharing and keep it up :slight_smile:
Music is great too. Was one of the first questions when playback started: “oh my why I don’t have this music in my collection yet?” :slight_smile:

wow. bravo :slight_smile:
blender just lacks a couple of important features to be a real compositor for videos.Everything is possible with it, but the workflow (or just mine) is not that fast :confused:

Yes I have to admit I’m not very good at texturing… the clip with the space ship was the only one where I used something else than procedural textures.

just time to play with the new UV features. the image editor is quite capable. i really think you could improve the spaceship a lot with propper texturing. and don’t forget normal/spec/dirt maps :slight_smile:

and for the whole animation…
have you tried going for a more de-saturated look? i think it might be worth a try.

lanü

Two words “SIMPLY AMAZING!!” very inspirational i havent been that excited to use 5 minutes of my time on youtube since the assasins creed 2 trailors came out

Wow. Pretty awesome effects work here; I’ll be looking at those tutorials. If you’re thinking about using this as part of a job search though, I’d work on tightening the pacing a bit, and tweak the order in which you’re showing things. It looks like your strengths here are motion graphics and lighting/texture effects, so emphasize those. For instance, right now the docking animation that’s first is one of the lower-quality things in the reel. Maybe focus on the ‘wow’ moments (I like the forcefield effect, and your animation of the ship dropping onto the clamps has a good feeling of weight to it), but put it later in the reel so that people see some of the more excellent stuff first. I’d also try shaving a few frames off each of the transitions, maybe – feels like it sits in black for just a smidge too long, sometimes. I’m torn, though, because the slower pace in many of the segments (the “Suzanne emerges from bowl of water and becomes grass” bit, for example) works really well for the sequence, but still seems to linger a bit too long, in the context of a demo reel.

Anyway, wow. I’m excited to see where you go from here. Congrats on coming up with all this awesome stuff in less than a year!