My first finished image, GPU Pro 4. Feedback needed.

Hi, this should be my first post on a finished image. I was trying to create a model of this book GPU Pro 4, which is beautiful but also challenging to read. I tried to strive for realism but something is still off. There isn’t the red margins on the covers. Size is approximate but not precise. I spent hours tweaking the UV mapping stuff. Textures just went crooked when I tried to put them on slightly curved faces :frowning: Anyway, I only got 125 hours. I would love some feedback on modeling, material or texturing. I didn’t focus on setting up the scene.

Cycles, 512 samples.

Attachments

Here is a closer look to the model itself. How can I make the model better? Also I cannot think of a way to make the pages. Any good idea on that?

Attachments

It definitely looks realistic, I wouldn’t notice it’s a render right away. For the pages you can use a procedural shader, in the end it’s just lines, and use this texture for the bump input as well. Like I did on this model for the rim of the coin, just make the lines finer and the bump much less pronounced. You can check my node setup here

Unless you want to animate your book with the pages turning, now that would be a different issue. Of course you could see how it loojs if you add the pages as a plane or a really flat cube and hundred-fold it with an array modifier. No idea though how you would go for the bending of the pages…

Wow nice coins. I downloaded the blend and the nodes seemed pretty advanced for me lol. But that textures+bump idea is definitely useful ^

lol I actually tried that. I don’t know how to randomly change every page’s location so it looks flat as well ~_~ For a still book I would try to use textures to make the pages ^

Good work at first.

For more realistic you might to add more textures on environment and displacement maps for all materials. Also all surfaces looks pretty good with reflections, even with much roughness.
At second, if the book is on floor, corners have baseboard on them. Small detail, but mostly important.

Yep I’m tryin’ really hard to figure out how to make those textures. Nodes & procedures… Yet to make sense to me.
And yeah I haven’t realized about the baseboards part until now. I didn’t even know what’s that b4 lol.
Thanks for the useful tips ^

I don’t understand if you’re aiming to realism of the scene or realism of the book.
IMO you should create a ProductViz studio scene and concentrate your effort on the book at first.

Because for what I’ve seen so far I think your skills are not sufficient to manage an entire scene.
One step at the time in your way to the top.

Is there any Gloss on the material? the light doesnt show that well if there is or not… Most Hard backs have a bit of gloss… So changing the Light could help boost the glossyness… Also If you want to Animate the pages to turn I have a Tutorial on that : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUII1qc3fwA

That video is showing you the Finished result but on my channel “How to turn Pages in blender” should help you…

Yeah I’m focusing on my modeling first. The book’s geometry and also material/texture are what I care the most for now. I just grab a random scene and add a random light to show the book clearly ^

Oops I didn’t add any gloss on the book, good point.
And your channel looks good, subscribed ^

Lol yeah I used to forget gloss a lot… sometimes you don’t realize it until some randomer points it out :wink: … and thanks for the sub I appreciate the support!..

just some small tips:

• do a studio set-up like LazyVirus suggested; best loot at blendswap for something (I recall there is one there, not sure)
  • use an HDRI environment map for world lighting (google hdri haven, he has some freebies you can use) and some reflections
  • use a grunge map for very subtle amounts of roughness once you add the gloss (put the texture into the mix factor of gloss and diffuse); you can start with a noise texture and tweak it with a colour ramp for starters - this will give you the fingertips you see that break up the gloss once someone touched a book
  • arrange some subtle spot lights around your scene and give it some variation (check 3-point lighting tutorials on youtube)
  • add some compositing (e.g. depth of field, vignette, …)

you will see that it changes the perception of the image immediately. Also, if you think you lack the realism in a product visualisation set-up (it is a bit artificial) you can model a modern metal book stand and put it on :slight_smile:

Happy blending

P.S.: On the UVs: you can change the UV layout in the UV Image editor while in edit mode on the object - if the Unwrap squeezed your UV islands you can bring them back into straight form with axis scaling - this way some of your issues might be solved.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Some of the terminology is still unfamiliar to me but I got it noted in mind. And yes I tried to tweak the UV by scaling along axis, the words are fixed but still not in a straight from :()