My first model and how do I make selected vertices rounder?

Here’s my first model. I used the better face tutorial of torq and im having problems adding the back of the head. I could make it better manually moving it vertex by vertex but that would take too much time and future problems like this might arise so im looking for techniques on making those selected vertices rounder (image 3). thank you =)

http://www.pinoyforum.net/uploads/blend1.JPG
Just the face

http://www.pinoyforum.net/uploads/blend2.JPG
Rendered face

http://www.pinoyforum.net/uploads/blend3.JPG
Face with ugly back.

Hi vivalawahwah.

Not bad for a first model.

The Push/Pull tool might help you. Read more about it here.

In the edit buttons: hit smooth a couple of times. If it doesnt have the desired effect (because it tends to shrink the selection too), hit shift+S–>cursor to selection --> hit the “to sphere” button and choose something between 40% and 80%.

If your face get ballooned, you can squash it in the x axis by using the resize transform handle or hitting S then X .

Edit: And by the way, why do you work in a control cage? That is too cumbersome. At the subdivision modifier click on “Optimal” and click on the little disc next to the dropdown box.

We really need a “tighten” tool like wings has.

Smooth really dosen’t cut it - it kind of “melts” the mesh into a smaller one.

Mostly I use smooth to make eyesockets and the mouth, or any other oriffice/ hole rounder early on in the modelling phase.

@iluvblender

thanks for the comment =) it’s quite fun to model with guys like you helping in the forum. All my problems are just a few search away. Im a perfectionist so I think that is helping me model well… but im so darn slow… it took me 2 days just to model this face =( but with a little practice maybe i could get faster.

thank you for the tool =) i saved it but I want to explore blender more so i have to learn doing things the hard way for now. Im really grateful for the script and im sure it will save me a lot of time in the future. =)

@toontje

omgosh… thank you so much about noticing the control cage thing and giving me a tip that will certainly make me faster.

(at first I didn’t know what difference it made, until i went to ‘edit mode’)

again, im so grateful for this =)

@mrmunkily
my first solution was to smooth it, it made it rounder but it melts and shrank =( but im happy to say using toontje’s method really helped me a lot =)

In the edit buttons: hit smooth a couple of times. If it doesnt have the desired effect (because it tends to shrink the selection too), hit shift+S–>cursor to selection –> hit the “to sphere” button and choose something between 40% and 80%.

In conclusion, that method fixed my problem but I still have to manually move a lot of vertices to give it a rounder look and that’s when the proportional editting(Hotkey:O) made my life easier =)

(i hope this topic will help other beginners like me who are having the same problem)

I’m glad it helped you out a lot , but mind you though, you barely scratched the surface. The more you work with Blender the more you will discover how fast and easy it is to model with. :smiley:

2 days you say? That is fast! Some people who are gifted can model a nice head in a couple of hours. But even them had some years of hardship before they reached that level. A good artist can take days or weeks before they get a good mesh to begin texturing with.

Anyhow, I think I will start up my head modeling tutorial thread again. I don’t have much time on my hands, but I’ll try to post one or two steps a day.

Have fun!