My first official blender render.

An Orange Cube. ;D

very good!
cycles? or vray?
did you use zbrush for the model?

this is really good work. I like the illusion of the cube floating and the execution of the materials… :confused:

@Abc

I used BlenderRender, cycles just doesn’t look good with my computer. What’s V-Ray? I’m still new to blender… Haha ;D

@Peter

Thanks, it took me a long time to figure out the materials.

Not bad! :slight_smile: The lighting’s pretty good too, not too one-sided - I’m guessing you used the Ambient Occlusion option in the World settings?

Oh, and abc123’s just messing with you - it’s a recurring joke around the forums, asking how long the cube took to model and what it’s vertex-count is, and so on (the default cube is a bit famous in the Blender community)
About V-Ray, as far as I know it’s the render engine often used with Autodesk’s 3DStudio Max, though it seems to be an external render engine compatible with several 3D programs.

Anyway, good luck! :smiley:

@Mesh

Yeah, I used Ambient Occlusion.

And OH that’s what he’s talking about, lol.

I’m glade your getting started…as we were all noobies once:) However I would suggest working with blender ( a lot) for a few weeks and watch many tutorials and then post your latest scene in either the “Works in Progress” forum or “Focused Critique” forum first to get comments. I dont want you to get discouraged posting your progress in Finished Projects forum if you get rough critques and comments.

Like MeshWeaver said above it does look like you have a good eye for lighting and I agree so keep it up:)

Happy Blending!

I think you must require new features.
You must open many topics with feature requests. :slight_smile:

@Derek

That’s sounds like a great idea. :smiley: Oh, and thanks for noticing the lighting. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hi, I think it’s great for the first one! Agree with others about the light spot on. However, just trying a bit of constructive criticism here, you could try moving the camera for a more dynamic view, squeezing so to say more energy out of the cube. I would also activate the guides in camera settings to get a perfect thirds composition. Even if it’s not really obvious, using for this a boolean operation will give the image a different feel than the default cube.But overall great work.

I love the minimalism of the scene and the implied possibilities of what the unseen cube faces are really hiding.
:slight_smile:

I’m guessing that the edge loops must be subdivided with edge crease on?
Uv unwrapping done well - sphere projection could have been used,
I would say 12-15K poly’s, Although the tangents and topology look a bit off.
Personally I think that far more effort could have been put into the sculpting and a higher poly count is needed.
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Joking aside it looks quite good!

A cube… Whoa! A Cube! :smiley:

As for the lighting and shadows - if you are using raytraced shadows (settings to be found in the lamp properties), you could increase the number of shadow samples. They’ll become softer - you can adjust the ‘softness’ with the ‘soft size’ parameter.

I see you considered the “Rule of thirds” - I must agree with krokodyl1220 about trying soft shadows - If you do that you get a perfect cube render!

I also like the color of your cube! it’s a very fresh though warm yellow.

keep going!

P.S.: if you’re interested in tutorials you can take a look at my website or youtubechannel:

http://amadeocompositions.com/tutorials.html

@krokodyl1220