My first render | Architecture Project

Hi all, this is my first render with blender. I started to learn blender two weeks ago so I still don’t know how to solve many problems, such as the amount of noise. Also, I post-processed the image using Photoshop, I don’t know if this is good practice or not. (maybe I should use blender’s lights to achieve what I want, but I don’t know how). Rendering time was 2 hours 52 minutes for 1913 x 1573 px resolution.

If I could get some feedback from the community it would help a lot. Thanks.

Have a nice day.

1 Like

Add a bevel. To everything :wink:

Did you use a real window? Or are these just empty window frames?

Thanks for your feedback, I’ll do that. Yes, the windows are real, each one has a glass pane.

You don’t need PS to make changes in exposition. Tweak Filmic settings (in Color Management) instead. Also - do you use PBR materials? The surfaces look a bit flat. Try adding Normal Maps or Displacement in material nodes.
Overall, I like the composition of your scene and stools - nice concepts.

Ok, I’ll look into that. No, I don’t use PBR materials, I’ll try to improve them so they look more realistic. Thank you for your comments.

I’ve done a new version with bevels and PBR materials, it has made a notable improvement. The bevels I used are approximately 1-2 mm, I don’t know if it’s enough in your opinion. With PBR materials applied the rendering time was 3 hours 46 minutes for 1913 x 1573 px resolution, nearly one hour more than before.

I still get quite a lot of noise, is there a way to get rid of it? Thanks.

Have a nice day.

1 Like

Light-Portals
Clamping
Bounces
Denoiser

Try to remove that glass (like delete the whole mesh) and leave only frames and see if that helps you with a noise. “Standard” glass shader is not best to use on windows since it does produces a lot of noise. There is a “hack” version of glass shader where you remove some light paths so it does keep reflections but also lets ray to go in and doesn’t produce that much of noise. Try to google it I guess the Blender guru (Andrew Price) describes it in one of is tutos.

I’ll try that, thanks.

I’m using the same glass configuration Andrew Price uses in his bathroom tutorials. I’ll try tweaking the settings @CosasM suggested and I’ll compare the results with the glass and without it.
Thank you for your feedback.

I don’t see the bevels in your render, so maybe increase them a bit more? Just have a look at real life furniture to estimate the bevel size (I guess for some objects they could be larger than 1-2 mm) :wink:

I’ll increase it a little bit more then. Does the amount of segments of a bevel increase the rendering time?

Also, since I applied the bevels and the PBR materials blender runs very slow, even if I hide some of the objects in the viewport. Would the use of layers and turning off the ones I’m not using at the moment solve the performance issue? (Right now everything is on the same layer)
Any other thoughts on how to improve the performance?

Thank you.

Sure, you are adding more faces to your objects, so Blender will be a bit slower with each segment. But you get a much more realistic render in return!

I honestly don’t know why your scene is so slow, but hiding parts you don’t need (even hide faces at invisible sides of objects, like the back of the table) will decrease rendertimes.

I just realized that what affects the performance are the PBR materials. When I work with shaded, wireframe or bounding box viewport shadings blender works just fine. The performance issues occur when I start working with the rendering, material and texture viewport shadings.
Do you know how can I solve this problem?
Thanks for your comments.

Don’t know for sure, but it might be because of your complicated Materials. I have the same issue in a scene of my own: I have a table with a complicated Material (lots of textures etc.) which moves really slowly in rendered mode. As soon as I remove all textures and only keep the bare Principled BSDF-node suddenly all moves much (!) smoother in the viewport!

This is a really great learning scene but do one thing at a time! I just read through the 14 previous posts :slight_smile: Happy with the geometry? Bevel? Using 2.8? There’s a Bevel Node for materials; it’s buggy by blender.org admission but I’ve tested and it’s wonderful! Saves you on polys.

Lighting? Using portals? Good! Rays are terrible things to waste. :stuck_out_tongue: Glass and reflections still do better with Cycles. Cycles does well with GPU, renders better in 2.8 with little tile sizes, bigger tile sizes in 2.79 - go figure.

When you go deep into materials, don’t toss PBR at everything!!! I’m a nasty skeptic in the minority so I say use hand-crafted answers to solve different problems. PBR is good and fun but a wrecking ball more than half the time. 2.8 now requires a Displace Node where 2.79 didn’t, so watch out for that when you’re looking at tutorials. Normals and Bump and such will change your lighting drastically.

Keep your polys even - I like your pick of image and I prefer the raw, higher contrast version too. Just rope your workflow in. You caught Blender at a weird time: 2.8 is extremely different and 2.79, though not in vogue, still has wonderful lessons to teach.

Thank you @Rezzy777 and @HelloHiHola. This render is part of a house I’m designing. Right now I’m working on the architecture and modeling of the whole project, once I finish I’ll get back to rendering and I’ll use your tips.
I’m using blender 2.79. I don’t use portals and I’m using a sun object for the light (I don’t know if it’s the best method).

To give an example of the materials I’m using I upload this screenshot of the Node Editor. It’s the concrete material from the floor, probably the most complex material in the scene (Roughness with surface imperfections and Normals). Some of the other materials only use Normals.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Have a nice day.

Hi all, I’m uploading a new render of a different scene of the house. It still needs bevels, but I used Filmic and Denoising (suggested by @Miss_BB and @CosasM) for the first time. I really like Filmic colors.
The Denoising configuration for this image is the following: Radius 8, Strength: 0.50, Feature S: 0.50. This was my first attempt, I think I should lower the effect to avoid smudging the image.
Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Have a nice day.

L

Looks already better then the previous one. New suggestion - add some wear&tear (like smudges, scratches, dirt, etc) - even the brand new interiors aren’t in pristine condition.
About de-noising - that’ll be kind of choice between render time and quality (number of details you can get without distortion). I don’t know, how much your hardware can handle, but there are other (than PC upgrade) -
possible solutions - you can try some render farm service, or try different renderer ( build - in 2.80 Blender - Evee, or third party, like Luxrender, or YafaRay). Sometimes the light source is big game-changer (if you don’t have highly reflective surfaces, like in your last picture, it’s better to choose other light, than HDRI.

I think that your lighting in this shot is “impossibly inconsistent.” If the stone wall is “well-lit,” as it very obviously is, then the light that’s coming in through that window cannot possibly be “directional.” The sun must be more-or-less directly overhead. It could not possibly illuminate the left wall without just-as-evenly illuminating the right one. Light would in fact be bouncing off that big stone wall and illuminating the room very evenly indeed. If there’s bright illumination on that table, it can’t omit the floor-line between it and the nearby stool.

And so on … and on … and on … and on … :frowning:

1 Like