my first render

This is my first completed render. I’m now using blender for 1 or 1,5 month. The render is very simple, and it didn’t took long to make it. It is an usb-stick.

http://members.lycos.nl/ravichri/usbstick.jpg

Good work. You have a much better grasp on blender than I had at that point. Although the, um, casing around the, uh, interface looks like it has no thickness.

Good work. You have a much better grasp on blender than I had at that point. Although the, um, casing around the, uh, interface looks like it has no thickness.

Select the main part of the USB drive and the cap, go to edit buttons, and hit smooth, or hit auto smooth, and set it to 10 or so. That will get rid of those sharp edges. (although maybe their supposed to have them?)

Also, extrude the inside of the metal tip, then scale it down very slightly on the correct axis. Then turn up the hardness on the material settings, and I think it will look much better.

good job! try using set smooth, and/or subsurf on the body of the memory stick

I thinks that’s a very nice first image with some good solid modelling work. Since you have the basics right, moving on to more complex objects shouldn’t be too challenging. I agree with all the advice given above … those will improve the model and image greatly.

I risk being targetted by the SPCAO (Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Ambient Occlusion) for this :smiley: , but tools are there to be used. Once your done cleaning up the model, I suggest keeping the one lamp you now have for specularity, and doing a ray-traced render with Ambient Occlusion switched on in the world settings. That should take this to the next level of realism.

Welcome to Blender and hope you enjoy your stay. :slight_smile:

Samir

Thanks a lot for all the comments. I’ve replaced the improved picture, and it looks a lot better! :smiley: :smiley:

to be honest, i have been doing blender for a little longer then you ,. [email protected] , and you are much better then me at modeling !!

well done !!!

J.Goss

the render is great,

wow, it looks so much better! :smiley: Good job. My only crit is that the metal part’s spec should be increased., other than that, great job! Can we see a wireframe? :wink:

Great first render

Here is the wireframe, I know there’s something wrong in the back (V-shapes, that shouldn’t be there).
http://members.lycos.nl/ravichri/usbdriveWF.jpg

I also rendered a picture with a higher spec in the front metal.

http://members.lycos.nl/ravichri/usbdrive.jpg

hhhmmm in your wire u got some writing we cant see in the normal renders:P looks like bunch of numbers.

Why use AO?

Why use AO?

well, that was an advice of Samir. And I like it (except it increases the rendertime afcourse).

hhhmmm in your wire u got some writing we cant see in the normal renders:P looks like bunch of numbers.

those are indeed numbers (and other symbols), on the back of the stick. And you can’t see the back and the front at the same time natturaly. :wink:

btw thanks again for all positive reactions :smiley:

I think it just creates an unesesary grain, ruines the lighting and increases rendertime

AO can greatly enhance renders if done right. Very nice, about the wireframe, as long as the flaws don’t show in the render who cares.