My first tutorial! How to Convert a 2D image to a 3D Scene

Hi all!

Well I’ve made my first tutorial ever and I’m releasing it to everyone now. It’s a tutorial on how to map a photo of a room onto a 3D object of the same shape. I don’t know if anyone will like it or not or if it will be of any use to anyone, but I hope it is.

As long as one person learns something from it then I’ll be happy.

I’m very happy to accept feedback on this tutorial, positive or negative. Any advice I can get on how to improve it or how to make my next tutorial better would be welcome.

Also I don’t know anything about the legal side of making one of these or if I should have put a copyright stamp on everything or if one copyright thing down the bottom was enough. Any info on that would be welcome to.

Heres a link to the tutorial on my site:
How to Convert a 2D image to a 3D Scene

EDIT: I’m redo-ing my website right now (because the ugly-ness just can’t go on any longer!), in the process, this link was broken, so just updated it. Just on the off case that anyone still wanted this tutorial (I know I hate finding broken links on the net, so I figured I’d do my part to reduce em just a bit)

err people? You can post a comment on it if you want… :confused:

Heh, heh. I didn’t reply, since I thought you’d be in bed, like I should down here in Melbourne…

Well I quite like the article to be honest. I’ve only just gone through the process of working out what I need to do when and how when it comes to match-moving about a month ago. I read what is essentially the same process as you describe from a book -
Sybex.Inc.Matchmoving.The.Invisible.Art.of.Camera.Tracking.ISBN0782144039.pdf

I was immediately struck by how much less laboured your description was and how much easier it was to follow what you were saying. It’s just a shame I’ve already got it sussed - otherwise you’d have already taught somebody something…

You’ve got 4 gold stars from this little black duck…
Wish I did your tute before I did mine on lining up a cg set with a real one and animating a ball knocking down some dominos. My camera matching in that tute is a bit on the cheap and nasty side to say the least. Oh well, at least I’m all set for next time.
Thanks (fellow) aussie.

Simon.

Your tutorial is great. I was trying to save in my hard disk as html but it was not saving.
Good Tutorial.

Thanks for the feedback. :smiley:

Hi enhzflep, likewise mate it is good to see a fellow aussie here.

I was immediately struck by how much less laboured your description was and how much easier it was to follow what you were saying.
Well above everything the most important thing to me was wording and it’s what I worked on the longest. I’m glad that I did because I guess it’s paid off.

Oh and kkrawal,

Your tutorial is great. I was trying to save in my hard disk as html but it was not saving. 

Good Tutorial.
Thanks mate for the comment, if you like I will see if I can put it all in a pdf and put it up as a download.

EDIT: PDF uploaded, it’s at the bottom of the page.

It’s a well done tutorial. I would suggest making the pictures larger: having to click them and then bring each to full size makes the tutorial a bit harder to follow.

I loved the tutorial, thanks for sharing your techniques.