My first tutorial -how to create a pinetree-

(hannibar) #1

http://users.pandora.be/willem.packet1/pine_tut.html

I hope you like it.

If you have questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to say so.

(S68) #2

Cool tutorial :slight_smile:

I remember your renderings :wink: Tut is clear, technique sound… :o lots of vertices… but if you want detail and realim…

Stefano

(ec2) #3

That is great. I have to try it out. We need more tutorials from the advanced Blender users out there, like yourself. Thanks.

(acasto) #4

wow… nice tree

(Zweistein) #5

hey that s cool

(blengine) #6

hey the result looks pretty awesome, what was the render time?

(kaktuswasse) #7

the result is nice. But the is a lot of work. There has to be a way to
optimize it :wink:

cya henrik

(Bapsis) #8

Thank you for the tute, muchly appreciated!!! :wink: Its always good to know how to do more stuff in the great B!!! :wink:

Matt

Blend on, and blend well!!!

(malefico) #9

Yep, the results are worth the effort. However it’s still a lot of vertices, maybe you can render a separate branch and use it as a texture for a more simple leaf ? :-?

Cool tute ! :smiley:

Cheers.

malefico.

(hannibar) #10

Thanks for the replies.

I don’t remember that exactly. It’s more than 1 year ago that I did those renders. I think it was about 10 minutes, not very much anyway.

(KC0GRN) #11

Thanks for the great Tutorial, was just what I needed.

Actually I really like how it’s done, it allows you to be able to tweak the settings so you get exactly the look you’re looking for.

I suppose it wouldn’t be a great choice for animated shots, but for stills it looks great, and personally I don’t mind stills that might even take an hour to render (if it’s a good shot, all the more detail helps anyways.

I did come up with one tweak to it already, at the tips of the branches, rotate some of the needles to point out, then on the last couple rows of needles at the tip of the branch, shorten them until the last row of needles at the tip of the branch are pretty small/short. This looks a bit more like how a pine tree grows, and if you spend a little bit of extra time on one branch, the effect just gets multiplied across the whole thing anyways :slight_smile:

(shibbydude) #12

Why not just use ripsting’s grass script? That gives nice random effects with a relatively small amount of vertices.

(kai_yak) #13

That tutorial is very cool. But now to take is one step further. How would you had snow on this tree??

Kai

(ePlastik) #14

Where can i get that?

(shibbydude) #15

Where can i get that?[/quote]

Just search for Ripsting grass script.

(hannibar) #16

Yeah! I’m on fire!

(KC0GRN) #17

I’m not sure about how one would add snow to a tree like this, maybe a buncha metaballs linked together or something?

You could probably flock the tree rather easily by using a green/white texture on the needles…

I’m still working on gettin my tree done :slight_smile: Been havin a hard time with the branch you put the needles on, I was thinking I might try and use that lsystem script to make a branch and then bring it to my model (probably for the stem too.

(KC0GRN) #18

I finally finished the image I was working on that included using this tutorial, thought I’d post it so people could see another tree done with this method. Found out it doesn’t look as nice for closeups though, possibly just need to refine it a bit for that :slight_smile:

http://home.attbi.com/~joeldick/images/christmas2002.jpg

(rwv01) #19

That’s a nice tutorial. Easy to follow. Maybe to save on vertices you could “duplivert” the branch with an eight vertex circle as the parent. Then duplicate the result a few times and do your scaling and positiong. Of coarse you’d loose a lot of ability to modify the branches afterward.

(Clete2) #20

psst… how about a n00b tutorial? I just started using blender the other day, have read some tutorials, but got mixed up here:

1. Extrude the three vertices until the object is long enough for a needle. Select the top 3 vertices, extrude 1 grid up, and scale them down till the 3 points meet eachother. Do the same with the other 3 vertices.
  2. Press remove doubles. 4 vertices will be removed. ou should have something loke this.

hehe…