my friend needs help

well as the title says above…my friend needs help and i don’t know how to help her.she can’t open her computer on the my computer icon and can’t access her documents folder.when she tries to open the folders there is an error.anyway,she’s having probs with internet explorer too,she types an address and all she gets is a blank page or a page not found.please help me to help her lol :wink: thanx

maybe she needs a harddrive? I dunno… :stuck_out_tongue:

Those are pretty general problems. You might want to be more specific.

Not that I could likely fix it.

‘My Computer’ is simply a ‘wrapper program’ that reads info from all the drives connected to a system and adds access to any other info Microsoft wants. The fact it ain’t working isn’t surprising, afterall it’s a MicroSoft OS. And at the same time, the fact that the OS even loads at all means the hard drive didn’t fail. Remove all floppies, CDs and DVDs from the computer and try again (I found out an unreadable recordable DVD or CD, forget, was not allowing XP to boot at all). Run as deep a scandisk as MS allows including surface errors (take her out for lunch (she pays) then to a movie (you pay), then a dinner (you pay), then another movie (she pays) then an overnight bed and breakfast vacation (split 50/50) while it runs, MS code isn’t exactly speedy). If that don’t work… Complete HD wipe with OS reinstall is probably warrented to fix it. Save the important stuff first and make sure it’s actually needed because that sometimes creates headaces of its own.

As for getting nothing on Internet Explorer…ummm, does she even have internet access? Is it payed and current? Are the lines plugged in? Are the TCP settings correct? Is she on a WAN and if so are the router lights dead or recording activity?..

Which version is it?

SPYWARE! VIRUS! STUFF! :<

Listen, if you’re such a dumbass that you screw up your PC and your My Computer doesn’t work anymore, I’m surprised you’re smart enough to string two words together. How do you manage to breath?
If you don’t use MS and this never happened then you’re about as qualified to talk about this as a retarded monkey.

The fact is, MS software is NOT slow. Linux took 1/2 a day to install on my computer and it takes about 5 hours to boot up. It’s the 5th distro I’ve tried. Windows just starts right up. Linux has worked fine on other computers for me, but even then, Windows was much faster.

Lol sounds like something simular I had. Writing python, write files using teh script, then aftherwards finding out it’s impossible to delete them :(. So I renamed the folder to Radioactive files, it’s full of files I can’t remove, even not with scripts, or tools. :-?

I absolutely HATE that.
Have you tried booting into safe mode to delete them?
It makes me feel like my computer has power over me…

I absolutely HATE that.
It makes me feel like my computer has power over me…[/quote]

Ahahaha, I can’t believe you told MeanPi2 off for having a go at Windows and then you tell us you can’t delete files. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, I thought you had a command line. Can’t you just sudo rm the files like in Linux and Mac?

This isn’t necessarily true. I came across a PC where the hard drive read but didn’t write. This caused an error saying Microsoft Explorer has unexpectedly quit. This causes confusion because the assholes at M$ decided to call the file browser the same as the web browser.

Anyway, the symptoms are that you can use the OS but Explorer won’t connect to any pages because it can’t write to the cache. Also, if this is the case, you can’t install a new system because the HD is broke.

I absolutely HATE that.
It makes me feel like my computer has power over me…[/quote]

Ahahaha, I can’t believe you told MeanPi2 off for having a go at Windows and then you tell us you can’t delete files. :P[/quote]

I don’t see any similarity. I’m not blaming the problem on the OS. If I want to get rid of the files, I can, but not without spending way too much time.

Listen, if you’re such a dumbass that you screw up your PC and your My Computer doesn’t work anymore, I’m surprised you’re smart enough to string two words together. How do you manage to breath?
If you don’t use MS and this never happened then you’re about as qualified to talk about this as a retarded monkey.

The fact is, MS software is NOT slow. Linux took 1/2 a day to install on my computer and it takes about 5 hours to boot up. It’s the 5th distro I’ve tried. Windows just starts right up. Linux has worked fine on other computers for me, but even then, Windows was much faster.[/quote]

1. I’ve used MicroSoft OS’s since DOS when a 486sx computer cost $2,500. Then Win3.1, then Win95preOSR2, then Win95OSR2, then Win98, skipped ME and NT and 2000 and held on to Win98 since I managed to get it somewhat stable until I had to upgrade to XP with much whining and nashing of teeth which, turns out, I don’t regret in the slightest… for the most part…sortof. I haven’t used a MAC or UNIX or Linux nor have I ever said anything about those stability-wise since, again, I’ve never used them- I will state I’ve never used those OS’s and only MicroSofts because that’s where the glut of programs I use are. Linux, BTW, almost has a software base large enough I may create a partition and dual-boot setup for it.

2. People ‘use’ OS’s. I ‘USE!’ an OS- that’s what it’s for. DOS was stable because for the most part the low-level interface DOS provided was simple but difficult to use for the layman. Enter Windows. And ever since then if there’s a way to break Windows I’ve probably found it unintentionally and tried to re-create the breakage to understand what happened.

3. Run disk defrag with surface check on with Windows then do it in a third party program optimized for the procedure. Certian ‘addon’ parts to Windows is simply barebones- it does what it’s supposed to do and thats it.

4. Your total ignorance not only to the original message that started this thread but my reply to said message is appalling.

Actually a hard drive is a hard drive. It does what it’s told. If a HD reads it will write unless told not too- this is goverened by the drivers controlling the HD. In the case you state I guarantee the OS created the problem and probably a total reinstall of the OS cleared (or would clear) it up- but the trick would have been to boot into a non-Windows OS that didn’t know about Windows ‘rules’ but could read the disk format.

In any case, Windows is simply a connection to the hardware and the hardware without a connection won’t work. But the connection doesn’t have to be Windows. As far as HD’s go, Windows (all versions) can lose access but that doesn’t mean the HD is dead without testing the HD OUTSIDE the OS. 99% of the time the HD is fine in testing and Windows somehow got screwed. There’s a reason DOS is still used as a diagnostic OS on bootable 3.5" floppies with drivers to read not only FAT16 drives but also FAT32 and NTSF formatted drives…

…There’s also a reason to learn how to do all this oneself because no matter what any shop says any data on a HD is free game to technitions…

That’s not true. I know how to use computers good. You shut up now.

That’s not true. I know how to use computers good. You shut up now.[/quote]

Your forgot the smiley face at the end of your last message. Here Valar, I’ll add it: :o . Oops, wrong one. Maybe this one: :-? . Dang, wrong one again. Perhaps: :< . Nope, that’s more anger evil flaming red eye wanna kill you. How about: :expressionless: . Nope, too blatant. %| ? Naw, I want to use that one. [!] ? Nope. [>] ? Naw, makes no sense. :smiley: .? There we go, that fits…

%|

I think you meant this one…

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/piss2.gifhttp://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/thebirdman.gifhttp://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/piss.gif

Fuck now we have a war going on.
Please everyone act civilized and appologize.

But I don’t wanna!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Cool, I like that monkey one but that’s not it either.

Ok, I’ll apologize. ahem I’m sorry ValarKing for your ignorance. I’m sorry you were incapable of understanding I was responding TO the subject of this thread and not that I was having problems with Windows. I’m very, oh so very sorry that in writing my reply to the original problem I made it too complex and assumed, studidly, that people would be able to understand it wasn’t I having the problem in question. And, I mean this from the heart ValarKing…my heart, deep deep inside…I don’t extend this apology often because usually it isn’t needed… I’m so, so very absoutly sorry that you’re a total dumbass. Honestly if I had any idea you were dumber then a box of rocks I would have never replied to this message at all.

But the biggest apology goes out to Gargola. I’m sorry I tried to help based on my experiance. I was wrong to do that. Forgive me. And forgive ValarKing for being a complete dumbs*it. :stuck_out_tongue:

But something good did come out of all this: Gargola, or anyone really, if you ever need urinating monkeys (who doesn’t at some point) they’re at ValarKings beck and call. Just don’t wonder why…

Wow, this feels kinda like deja-vue…

That’s ok MeanPi, we can forgive you.