My iMacs Nvidia GE Force is not compatible to Blender 2.8

blender 2.8 don’t recognize my old iMacs Nvidia GE Force graphic card. Any suggestion instead of buying a new computer ?

what’s model of that geforce?

What version of Mac OS are you using? Because version 10.14 and up does not support CUDA, and Blender 2.8 does not support OpenCL on Mac. So if you have Blender 2.8 AND Mac OS 10.14 +, currently there is no way to use GPU for rendering

of course I’m Mojave 10.14.6 with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1 GB. Then there is not how to fix ?

iMacs system report don’t show an error message for the Graphic Card

Yes, currently there’s no way to use GPU for rendering for Mojave + Blender 2.8. If you really want to use GPU rendering, the options is either:

• Downgrade to Sierra or High Sierra
  • Downgrade to Blender 2.79
  • Run bootcamp and use Blender there

P.S. I’m also facing the same situation as you, and ended up only using this Mac for modelling only and rendering on another computer

what is a PS?

of course modeling on this iMac and then rendering on another may be the best option.

Windoze Piece of Sh*t
:wink:

I had no idea about PS meaning.

I think must be a blender compatibility issue, because Mojave don’t shows an error/compatibility issue about GE Force graphic card. Then it must work with other programs on same iMac.

I have Davinci Resolve 16 on same iMac, it seems to work well with GE Force Graphics card

Just a heads up, Nvidia and Apple don’t really get along too well, which is why they now use AMD graphics cards. Nvidia and the new MacOS software can sometimes be a big no no - there are lots of driver issues etc.

CUDA is not supported (and will not be supported anymore - http://www.cgchannel.com/2019/11/nvidia-drops-macos-support-for-cuda/) in macOS Mojave/Catalina.
Some older Nvidia cards still working in Mojave/Catalina but only for OpenGL/OpenCL/Metal.
Old terrible and unstable Nvidia drivers ‘works’ in High Sierra but these have to be updated after every macOS security update and I am not sure if Nvidia still publishing updates.
Blender coders disabled OpenCL rendering in macOS version and stopped development.
In fact the only way to use GPU rendering in macOS will be Metal (coming Octane X, Redshift) or remote windoze crap. Bootcamp with windoze can be used however you loose macOS apps workflow this way.

1 Like

then I must forget the idea about a new macBook nor iMac because all of them brings with Intel GPU no compatibles with blender ?

Intel GPU is not suitable for any serious 3D work no matter in macOS or Windoze. Blender works fine on MacBook / iMac (AMD GPU – internal or eGPU). You loose Cycles rendering in macOS but you can use Octane X instead.