My Interior-ish thing! / Luxrender Test.

Well I attempted to model most of the furniture in the “Blender 2.4 - LuxRender v0.1 Tutorial” For fun and to better follow the tutorial. :smiley:

Everything was modeled, in blender with the exception of the “Stanford Dragon ;)” Then the materials were assigned and exported, and rendered in Luxrender! :wink:

First Image

http://www.digitalredplanet.com/images/modern_furniture_Luxblend_01.jpg

I am re-rendering it tonight to try to fix the glass of the dragon. :rolleyes:

And I am aware of the artifact on the wall, and am attempting to fix it. :wink:

Gimp screwed with me so the text is all blurry… :frowning: (Which I didn’t even really need in the first place. ;))

I would like all Crits and Comments!

Technical Info

Blender 2.45
Luxblend Alpha
Luxrender RC1
Scene had around 210,000 Faces
Rendered for around 5-6 hours
Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition SP2 - :rolleyes:
AMD 62 X2 Dual Core 3800+ 1.99 GHz
1.0 GB Ram

~Marslyr

It’s looking good, a little bland…maybe more pictures on the walls or a light fixture would make it better…

Turn on the light to give it some depth.

Some work needed but all in all, very good. Is the site finally working again to download the LUX Render?
EDIT: Where did u get the new render engine from? The site it still saying 19th October but obviously u already downloaded it before hand, which is still saying not publicy available yet.

Go to http://www.luxrender2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=41#p193

Thnx Musk
:slight_smile:

I’m sure that with a long distance AO asnd the right light setup, Blender Internal could do something similar alot quicker.

A GPL lighttracer, who knew?

I definitely have to give this a try soon.

Hey Everybody, Thanks for the responses!,
But now its update time!

@Cativo
I am planing on adding a modern art-ish, picture on the left wall, and maybe a modern-ish sculpture, in my next render…

For the picture does Anyone have an idea where I could find a CC or free for non-commercial use image, of a “modern” abstract painting-ish thing?

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my thread. :slight_smile:

@musk
Ahh… yes the light,
I am talking with some of the people on the luxrender forum, on the best way to go about doing it,
As of now I think the best way is probably to place an emitter inside the lamp,
Although you are completly right, It would add depth, Which is needed to make it look more like a room and less like a rendering test :stuck_out_tongue:
So its something thats definitely on my to do-list :wink:

Also thanks for linking the to the - Release Candidate

@digital_domain As of today(yay) there is the second RC for d/l on Windows - Linux - and an Untested Mac binary,
Tomorrow radiance should also come out with the Alpha 8 of Luxblend the export script for Blender!

Links

Luxrender RC2
LuxRender v0.1 Release Candidate 2 available

LuxBlend Alpha 7
LuxBlend v0.1 Alpha 7

Thanks for taking the time to post something in my thread!

@TheANIMAL
While it is true, that the same thing could probably be archived with (depending on your skill level) a little bit of work In Blender.
I would also like to show my support in the Luxrender project, because I think that a “open-source” “unbiased renderer” is a great cause/idea/project, and would be a great addition to many artist’s toolbox once its grown-up a little bit :wink:

But again, I thank you for taking the time to post your opinion In my W.I.P. :slight_smile:

@konrad_ha
I’ve only played/tested with it a little bit, but if you’ve used indigo or even sunflow, its pretty easy to pick up,
when or if you try it, if you have any problems or questions I’ll see if I can answer 'em :D,
Although a great place to learn more about luxrender is the Luxrender Official Forums — Link

Thanks for taking the time to post “Something” in my thread!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks again to all the help & responses!

And now for the update!

I got lighter glass now! :wink:

http://www.digitalredplanet.com/images/modern_furniture_LuxBlend_light_glass_test.jpg

And for those whom are interested here is a image that was rendered in an attempt to get rid of the wall artifact (which is number 1 on the to-do list) In the PreRc2 :
Link to Image

~Marslyr

Alright, I’ve got a huge update, so I am gonna post it, Even if its technically a double post… :o

I still am trying to fix that nasty artifact…, Though I really wanted to post the update!

I changed the camera angle,
added a painting on the wall (which is a modified) cgtextures.com texture,
a picture in a frame(which for some reason didn’t render quite right I’ll have to fix that) and a modern sculpture(aka a linkingstar which I modeled in topmod)

http://www.digitalredplanet.com/images/modern_furniture_LuxBlend_Scene_12.jpg

Up next, is a recessed ceiling(oooh), making the lamp emit, fixing the picture, and adding a plant and vase on the left, And more!
AND FIXING THE ARTIFACT.

Marslyr Declares WAR on the artifact :mad:

I want to hear your guy’s Crits & Comments, And Ideas!, :yes:

Cheers,
~Marslyr

Looking a lot better!
But please turn on the light? Might even fix the artifact!
Also how steep is the learning curve for Luxrender? Anything like sunflow? (wickitty whack)

Before I go to work, Here Is a quick update!

I added a recessed ceiling, and made the lamp emit(as the only light source for a test)… When it was in the lamp render times skyrocketed(until lux gets to RC3), so I raised it for the time being…

I wanna hear want you think!

http://www.digitalredplanet.com/images/modern_furniture_LuxBlend_Scene_13_point_6_emit.jpg

The firefly’s are easily removed with a setting I forgot to turn on… :o

@redbyte
Thanks!, I hope this looks a little bette
r and guess what, I can’t see the artifact :wink: (though thats proally just because, of the intensity of the emitter)
When I get the time to devote another render, I’ll try both lights :wink:

In answer to your question…

“Well, If you’ve used indigo/blendigo its wicked easy”,
I’ve not used sunflow since it was just out, but if you’ve used that
This would probably be easy,
There is alot of very helpful people at the luxrender2.org forums as well :smiley:

Cheers,
~Marslyr

The light is too bright for the lamp but this might be because you had to raise it. I also think that it might look more interesting if the lightsource is a little less temperated. Turning it more yello might do the trick.
The glass dragon comes out really nice in this render. A combination of both lights might just be what the doctor perscribed :wink:

lookin great. Some of the cusions on the couch and automans seem a little too stiff for me, maybe adding that touch of imperfectness would set off reality.

nice but try add some other shapes it’s full of square objects.

Hey Everyone!, Thanks for the Multiple Responses! :wink:

I’ve got a Update-Like Thing / Test, but first let me respond to comments! :yes:

@<b>[musk](http://blenderartists.org/forum/member.php?u=28526)
      </b>
> The light is too bright for the lamp but this might be because you had to raise it.
     Yes, its partially because I raised it, its also 'cause it was set to max :o,
It was just my first test, you'll see in the image(s) at the end of my post, the strength is about half...

> I also think that it might look more interesting if the lightsource is a little less temperated. Turning it more yello might do the trick.
     Again in the renders at the end of this post, you'll see I've tried different colors, please tell me which you prefer, or if you would like one that isn't there even better... ;)

>  The glass dragon comes out really nice in this render. A combination of both lights might just be what the doctor perscribed ;)
     First off let me say, Thank you :), then let me say, I agree 100%, after I get this lamp-light the way I want it, next up is the make a light seem to come from the recession in the ceiling, instead of from a unseen source...

Thanks very much for posting to help me out, not just this time, but multiple times... :D

@<b>[decius](http://blenderartists.org/forum/member.php?u=23526)                      
</b>Thanks for your kind words!

> Some of the cusions on the couch and automans seem a little too stiff for me, maybe adding that touch of imperfectness would set off reality.
I agree once I get the lighting to a preliminary stage( That I am happy with at least ) 
I would like to work on adding a vase with a plantlike thing, 
<b>But</b>, then I plan to work on realism.., Do you have any suggestions on how to make it less perfect?,(methods, ideas what have you...)

Thanks again for taking the time to help me improve this project, and for your kind words!

@<b>[camotech](http://blenderartists.org/forum/member.php?u=31227)</b>
Thanks for the praise!

> but try add some other shapes it's full of square objects.
I am thinking to add a vase on the left of everything, with a big plant in it, do you think this will break it up enough? :confused:

Thanks for your input!, I look forward to hearing back from you... ;)

And now for something that kinda resembles a update… :slight_smile:

Here are a couple of low-quality tests strung together, to try to figure out what kind of color the emitter, should emit…

The strength is half of what it was before, and once I get the color sorted out,
I’ll work on the strength, and mixing it with another light…,

—Small version of image—
http://www.digitalredplanet.com/images/color_light_overlay_01_small.jpg
Note: Image links to full-size, detailed version…

I want to hear what you think about the color!,
If you like one of these, please say which number,
If you think something else would be better, please say so, lighter or darker, more yellow…etc.!

I also WANT to hear, general thoughts about the project, plus your Crits, and Comments!

:eek:
Now that I’ve written an essay, its time to get back to work… :o

Cheers,
~Marslyr

woah those are some great renders! the dragon thing seems a bit too bright…unless its supposed to be really clear

I love number 2. It has the best mood, and the best looking shadows. But you might want to take the whole glitter effect away. It just looks silly. Unless that’s what you mean by “Low quality.”

Hey, Thanks for the Responses!

@Jeepster

woah those are some great renders!
Thanks that means alot coming from someone with as much experience with unbiased renderers !
Points at Jeepster’s amazing indigo threads

the dragon thing seems a bit too bright…unless its supposed to be really clear
No, Its definitly not supposed to be like that, Its just a little kink that has come up in some tests, It should look more like >>This<< Image…

Thanks for giving your input here and on irc, I really appreciate it! :yes:

@Guitar87
Thanks for your input, number 2 definitely has lots of mood,
You don’t think its too…ah…“Brown”?

But you might want to take the whole glitter effect away. It just looks silly. Unless that’s what you mean by “Low quality.”
Noooo, :eek:
Its definitely what I meant, these only rendered for maybe 10mins at the most,
If they rendered longer they would be clean… :yes:

Thanks for taking the time to give me your input!

I am working on my BWDC #13 Entry(s) tonight…, but I should be back working on this tomorrow…

radiance recommended that I wait until this weekend to work on the emiters,
as “lux” will have better tools for working with emiters then…
So I shall begin working on the vase shudder

Thanks for the responses, I look forward to reading more of them…!

Cheers,
~Marslyr

Very nice.