My iptic website (official site for a freespace2 mod)

Hey I am using my space on iptic to make a site for a mod for freespace2.
I will make level and ship for the mod. (I am the lead level designer :smiley: )
So check this out and tell me what yah think! (if someone know how to make fram using netscape composer please tell me! I want to make the link on the top so only the bottom of the page load when you change sectionā€¦I hope you understand what I mean)

http://mysite.iptic.com/xwarrior/blackoceans.html

Thatā€™s easyā€¦ just give both frames a name like name=ā€œtopā€ and name=ā€œbottomā€

then inside the link ref set the relevant target. like:

a href=ā€œcontents_for_bottomā€ target=ā€œbottomā€

yea but I dont know how to add frameā€¦ :-?

ah lol okiedokie.

Create 2 web pagesā€¦ just normal html like you normally would. Just 1 is the top pageā€¦ the other is the bottom oneā€¦ right? basicly top.html and bottom.htmlā€¦ lets call them that for now ok?

So now you create the index.html that has the frames into which the other two get loaded.

Now here it is basicly.

<html>
<head>
<title>yoursite.</title>
</head>

<frameset rows=ā€œ100,*ā€ border=ā€œ0ā€ frameborder=ā€œnoā€ bordercolor="#000000">

&lt;frame name="top" src="top.html" NORESIZE SCROLLING="no" MARGINHEIGHT="0" MARGINWIDTH="0"&gt;

&lt;frame name="bottom" src="bottom.html" NORESIZE SCROLLING="yes" MARGINHEIGHT="0" MARGINWIDTH="0"&gt;

</frameset>

<body>

<noframes>
Sorry but your browser does not support frames.
</noframes>

</body>

</html>

thatā€™t it basiclyā€¦ now be sure to set the right in the frameset rows thingā€¦ * means basicly 100% so make the top one the height of your menu and make sure that all links in the top have target=ā€œbottomā€ in themā€¦ to link to a new page make target="_blank" to have a page loaded completely on top off all your frames in the current window make target="_top"

Oh and if you are in a frame and donā€™t set a targetā€¦ it automaticly gets loaded in that frame.

Thereā€™s lossa tutorials about this everywhereā€¦ try the webmonkey siteā€¦ they usually have simple ones.

Oh and I forgotā€¦ you could just make a page with the menu on it and use an <iframe> those are single frames inside a normal html pageā€¦ but support for it is dodgyā€¦ .especially netscape doesnā€™t like them at all yet.

alsoā€¦ use a couple extra pixels for the height/width of your framesā€¦ this is also for netscape usersā€¦ somehow they usually need 4 extra pixels

TX for the help mascouno!

I have updated the siteā€¦look at it at:

http://mysite.iptic.com/xwarrior/blackoceans.html

(If you use explorer you will see a bug between the ā€œnewsā€ and ā€œscreenshotā€ linke but dont worry there is no link there. You can see all the link. I dont understand why it do thatā€¦on netscape all is ok)
Put the resolution of your screen at 1024*768 if you want to see the site correctly! and dont forget to TELL ME WHAT YA THINK OF IT!

Have you been to Hard Light Productions? They host all of the FS mod pages.

www.3dap.com/hlp/

The error? I think you fixed it no? What I see in your code thoughā€¦ is you use a lot of

tags usually a paragraph is started and later ended so for each

thereā€™d be a </p>, the absence of those may be a problem in some browsers. Iā€™d just use
for what youā€™re trying to do.

also I donā€™t understand the frames thing nowā€¦ itā€™s not in your pagesā€¦ only an </iframe> tagā€¦ but without the <iframe> it doesnā€™t work naturally.

In all honestyā€¦ even though your script is small itā€™s slightly messy and could do with a little cleanup like the following:
<font face=ā€œTimes New Roman,Timesā€><font size=+3>First news! The site
is online!!!</font></font>

could also be:
<font face=ā€œTimes New Roman,Timesā€ size="+3">First news! The site
is online!!!</font>

small difference but once you make larger/mor complex pages, it really helps to keep it simple.

Ok 1 more point of critique if you donā€™t mindā€¦ I think the top image is slightly large and the link images are a little bulky and unclearā€¦ I mean the blue and white on the black and white bg with such fonts is rather hard to read.

BUT: believe me or notā€¦ I do like the site and since I love freespace. YOU GO! (I really still have to buy the game but played the demo over and over when I got my hands on it) :wink:

yea tx for the comment. No I actually didnā€™t think about hard light production. As you see there is only two wipā€¦so it is in very early stage of productionā€¦I will probably send them a message! Tx

yea I fixed the error now. But in my prog (composer) I dont need to write all the codeā€¦it is like microsoft wordā€¦I insert picā€¦write text and save so I dont know why it do that! thanks anyway! :smiley:

Ah lolā€¦ yeah I understand, in that case itā€™s just the programmerā€™s personal preference.

I do all in notepad which makes it rather different to design.

BATTLETECH AWESOME!!!