My new "car" in action - update 21/12

(Rhysy 2) #1

We used to have a Ford Granada… but we decided to sell it and go for something faster…

http://rendermonitor.no-ip.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113

Thanks to weirdhat for his tutorial !
Advice on how to improve this would be appreciated (as would any comments in general).

(banana_sock) #2

the car is casting really dark shadows while nothing else in the pic seems to have shadows. It looks more like a cloudy day, so the car stands out alot.

(cohort) #3

Bevel… The sharp edges on it makes it look toon shaded…

(digitalSlav) #4

ground plane needs to be lower IMHO - shadow seems to hover over the path a little

(Rhysy 2) #5

banana_sock :
Yeah, you’re right… but if I try to make the shadows lighter, they tend to get lighter underneath the thing than nearer the edges. Maybe I’ll just wait for a sunny day with higher contrast shadows !

cohort :
I know next to nothing about bevelling, but I thought you could only bevel curves and circles ? How can I bevel this mesh without remodelling it ?

tmtechie:
The ground plane is literally touching the object… what does IMHO stand for ?

(BgDM) #6

Not bad at all fo ryour first attempt at composition.

Some points:

1. Bevel the edges is right. Very sharp. To do this, go to edit menu, (F9). Select all verts with “A”. Press the Beauty button located in the right hand section of the edit menu. Make sure you push this first. Then press the Smooth button. This will make all those sharp edges nice and smooth. Make sure you have all quads on your mesh though, or this will get very messy.

2. Soften the shadows from your light source. Move the Spotbl up to almost full to soften out the edges.

3. IMHO means, In my honest/humble opinion.

Keep it up.

BgDM

(Rhysy 2) #7

Thanks BgDM !

I softended the shadows but bevelling isn’t so great… even though I’m using 2.25 (can convert triangles to quads with shift+j) it still looks really messy, even only pressing smooth once. I tried subdiving first as well, but that didn’t help. Guess I’ll have to do it the hard way…

Edit : Forgot to ask something. The background pic has compression/low resolution effects due to my camera. I can simulate these quite well on the shuttle by lowering the quality of the jpg, but how could I overlap this with the background pic (I could render the shadows only onto the pic and save it if first if need be). I’m sure there’s a way to do this with the sequencer but I don’t know how.
And don’t say “buy a new camera”… :smiley:

(Rhysy 2) #8

I haven’t bothered smoothing the edges yet (because it’ll be a long and painfull process), but I did manage to figure out how to get it to go behind objects - which I’m pleased with since for once I didn’t need to ask someone how to do it !

http://rendermonitor.no-ip.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=127#127

Scroll to the last post for the DivX avi file (~350 kb).

I know it appears to scrape along the wall a bit, coming into the drive is a little hairy, might need to widen the gateposts… and fuel prices are getting ridiculous, $100,000,000,000,000 for a gram of anti-matter, dear oh dear, still, at least there aren’t any traffic jams…

(banana_sock) #9

link doesn’t seem to work for me…

(Rhysy 2) #10

It’ll work now, see the above edited post… which has been edited again, for the last time, today.

Some comments on the animation would be nice, even if you think it’s useless, cos I didn’t get any for the last animation.