My NorMap+Color Textures

Hey all, here is a link to a tarball of some (kind of HD) textures i made, both procedural and baked out to a normal map and color map each. more are coming soon, as making textures is currently my favorite pastime. sorry i don’t have screenshots or anything, but i have frighteningly low bandwidth at home. i uploaded the tarball at school.

one in particular that’s coming is a beuatiful road texture that i just finished, but is too high definition to upload on my flakey (~1kb/s at the moment) connection. i’ll probably upload it at school tomorrow.

It would be much, much, much more convenient of you would just upload them as images, instead of blends- also, there would be a lot less file bloat. I’m not sure why you packed a .tar into a .bz2, either.

.bz2, no idea??

sorry for the format, i was trying to get them small enough to upload at home, and i uploaded them in a hurry at school :frowning: but do you like the content? btw, you can unpack them with winzip on windows - i’m really sorry i can’t fix the format.

i have my road texture up now, http://myfilehost.hostei.com/roadtex.blend - it has the procedural texture too

Because a tarball is not compressed. You usually tar files and then compress them, adding another extension to the original .tar to indicate what compressor was used.

but does anybody like them??

Captain Oblivion: of course i would pack it into a compressed file - tar just tars files together, you then need to squish them! i didn’t realize it was possible to know that tar holds files without knowing it doesn’t compress them!

I didn’t know tar.bz was one filetype with 2 extensions (it seemed random and unneccesary, and with todays conventions it is- but I guess it’s leftover from when compressing and bundling files were two separate things) and I assumed .bz2 was separate because I’ve seen plenty of files without the tar (eg pictures.bz2) but apparently that’s jsut because the .tar extension was left out, even though the file format was still there. I’m not sure why people use tar any more, it seems pretty outdated (and adds extra time to extraction, though in a file this small it’s negligible)

Also, putting them in blends adds totally unnecessary file size and user irritation.

maybe post some thumbnail previews so we can see some of the content, I not going to download a file of textures if I cant see what’s in it…

Also a zip or rar would be more universal in my eyes.

zips compress very little, rar is proprietary and i’m on linux, and extensions should be a thing of the past, in fact they never should have existed, not with the file command around.

i’ll post thumbs as soon as i get bored again (which is why i posted the textures in the first place, i will soon) and i left them in the blends because there is other stuff in the blends i wanted to stick around, like the procedural textures i made them with.

EDIT: oh, and bzip2 and gzip can only compress single files, they are compressors not archivers. tar is an archiver, so it bundles files together into an archive. and it’s very useful to be able to archive without compression on occasion.

To make rars in linux, apparently you just have to install unrar, then right-click on a file, create archive, rar. I use mac, so I can’t say that for sure- but rars work fine on mac and windows. I agree about zips not compressing much, but rars are extremely common.

Also, you can make uncompressed zips and rars, that’s why formats that can just compress, or just archive, are out of date.

ok whatever, do you like the textures??? :confused:

I think if you compiled some small screenshots into one medium-sizeish image and posted it, you might draw more attention.

I hate to say it, but the textures need a fair amount of work. A few things to look for are
-tiling- everything but the cieling texture tiled pretty obviously (from the seams in the rug, to the knots in the wood- remember, even if the edges blend well, anything at all recognizable as a tile, repeated many times, will make it look tiled) obviously the ceiling which is suppsed to be tiles was the smallest problem in this case, but I would have made a group of tiles (maybe 3x3) so there’s some variation between ones that are next to each other.

-wear, and naturalism- everything is slowly wearing down all the time, to different degrees- some of this, like stains that inevitably appear on rugs, can (and probably should, if the texture tiles instead of filling the whole floor) be done with decals, but it shouls show up at least a little on pretty much everything- for example, the ceiling tiles are perfectly square, with perfectly sharp edges- they should have slightly rounded edges, chips from corners, scratches, and so on (and for that matter, the normal map was totally flat except for the edges, there would probably be roughness, and especially curving in toward the dots, which I assume are the holes that many ceiling tiles have)

-The carpet’s normal map was almost completely unnoticeable, and when visible it’s kind of abstract, and looks more like a rock than a carpet- something with roughness as fine as a carpet probably shouldn’t have a normal map at all, unless you’re going to use one high enough res to pick out the individual fibers (and then it’s probably too high res to be useful in-game, and too small to be visible unless the player is very close up)

-the road’s normal map could be far lower res per bump, and tile much smaller (IE many fewer bumps), and still look pretty much exactly the same- and meanwhile, the diffuse was very noticably low res (especially compared to the normals)- you could probably get away with a diffuse this low res if the lines were straight, but the random stray pixels make it very noticeable. Also, cracks and wear would be good.
Also, especially in the case of roads, a specular map is vital. The paint is reflective, which is very important, but also remember that roads are made of crushed rocks, and vary in specularity a fair amount- this causes a bit of sparkling under light.