My old game is freely available for anyone who wants it.

I cannot remember if I announced it here before, but I have made my matching puzzle game freely available to anyone who wants it to play it. It’s incomplete and not likely to ever be finished. I haven’t worked on it for a long time, so I’m going to leave it as it is for now.

It can be found at: http://nate.weirdnessity.com/block_heads.php

I may begin work on a new game some time soon, but I haven’t fully decided what it would be. I had this idea for an old-school style game resembling something one might find on the NES. It’s a little like a cross between the skateboarding of “Town and Country Surf Designs: Wood and Water Rage” and a space shooter game. I wanted it packed full of stupid 80’s pop-culture references (bands, tv shows, clothing styles, comic books, etc.) You have two players to choose from: a skateboarding guy with a flying-v guitar and a rollerskating girl with a keytar. They roll through town dodging obstacles and doing jumps while wailing away at their musical instruments. Each time they hit a note sound waves fly out and cause problems for anyone and anything they hit (i.e. making an old lady drop her groceries, causing the De Lorean to drive off to the future without Doc and Marty, etc.) The more trouble you cause around town, the higher score you get!

I want it to be wicked awesome! Like, totally!

You never posted it before. I was looking at that the otherday actually, it looks pretty cool. Windows only i guess though?

But, your next game must be a TBT game!

Where’s the source, Luke?

(Or did you not mean that I could hack at it?)

[edit]Make sure you include MS redistributables when you package stuff: msvcp71.dll is only present on the systems of people using Microsoft C stuff…
Cool game.
[/edit]

I am not making the game’s source code available because it’s quite a mess. I’ve done a few things in it which would have been better dealt with using some of the standard template libraries container classes or with Boost’s pointer container classes. I was also experimenting with a deep-class hierarchy, which really made a tangled mess of things.

The game is currently only compiled for Windows, but it was written using primarily OpenGL and SDL, so it should be very easy to get it working on other machines.

I did not know I needed to include msvcp71.dll with the distributable. I started with an empty project and didn’t rely upon any Microsoft libraries (as far as I recall). Did you have a problem running it without that dll?

I’m not sure why you want me to make a TBT game so much, Lukus (this was the associated Googlepedia result for searching “TBT game”). Or did you mean a Technology Based Training game? Ok, I know you must mean Turn Based Tactics.

Heh, well, it’s a fun game to play anyway. I can at least play around with the graphics.

By default, MS C compilers have a dynamic link to the standard C library, which is in their msvcpXX.dll. It’s been a while since I’ve messed with my MS C/C++ compiler so I’m not sure what hoops you’ll have to jump through to get it to compile with the C standard library statically linked in to the executable…

If you don’t distribute it with your executable you get the funny little dialogue box asking for it and people saavy enough to know what it means have to go to one of those obnoxious DLL-download sites to get it.

One thing on UI. I grabbed a head by pointing and pressing down the LMB. When I released it …nothing happened. I clicked again and it released.
This is fine, but most windows users are used to moving things by dragging them.
My $0.02.

I considered clicking and dragging, but I thought that would feel awkward and cumbersome. I also figured, since it wasn’t really ‘grabbing’ (machine movements) it wouldn’t have been a problem. I never actually tested out click-and-drag, so I really don’t know what it would have been like.

I updated the file to include that DLL. I also decided that maybe it wouldn’t hurt to make the source available. One thing that’s a little odd about the game is that there are places where I used bit-shifted integers instead of floats. I had this grand idea that I might port it to Palm/Pocket PC, and I didn’t know if their processors supported accelerated floating point arithmetic. :rolleyes:

Basically, I made a big mess out of this project and I’ve learned my lesson.

Woo hoo! Yay source! (That means I get to play :D) Thanks!

If I do anything interesting to it I’ll let you know (with a link to get at it).

Integer floats is an old concept with a lot of practical use both in the industry and for fun. Palm and Pocket PC do support floats, but by software emulation only, so using integer floats is a good idea if speed but not generality is a concern.

How would i know :expressionless:

I’m not sure why you want me to make a TBT game so much, Lukus (this was the associated Googlepedia result for searching “TBT game”). Or did you mean a Technology Based Training game? Ok, I know you must mean Turn Based Tactics.
Cause’ Turn based tactic games rock and are so neglected!

LOL (yes)

Cause’ Teddy Bear Toss games rock and are so neglected!

:wink: