My radar is faster :D

Lidar (also written [B]LIDAR or [B]LiDAR) is a remote sensing technology that measures distance by illuminating a target with a laser and analyzing the reflected light. The term “lidar” comes from combining the wordslight and radar.[SUP][1]

The original file on this thread was a side by side comparison,

however they are two differing sensors, these functions are similar…

A radar - resource intensive, can’t be blocked by a face or object.

A lidar - Fast return time (little resource use) but detects items with a sweep of a area so slightly slower to
trigger. Note- can return .hitPosition
[/SUP][/B][/B]

Attachments

MyRadarIsBetter.blend (658 KB)Sensor (DroppedError).blend (703 KB)

Note
Layer 1 - 3 ladars at EDIT 44 angle sweep 10 units long - in my “sweep” degrees I did 2*22 :smiley:
(To fix- so the sweep would add up to 22.5 (1.027 *22 = 22.5)) (I am adding and subtracting angles using logic steps)

Layer 2 - 3 radars at 22.5 angle and 10 units long

Layer 3 = side by side return speed (debug properties)

try moving both cubes off center, note that where they are makes one or the other faster,
for returning the value, however the “cost” of the ladar is always cheaper.

So ladar disadvantage slightly slower “true” when object is in bounds (need to retest)

ladar advantages - less cost in ms cpu time and can be set to “not x-ray” making it better for “true” vision cones

Sounds good, I can’t check the blend (as I’m using a phone at the mo) but does it involve spinning rays to detect objects?

yes, a spin+ a sweep

and 2 ray casters

I know this throws errors as radar does not have .hitPosition, but dang I think it’s pretty

I am using 1 script on 2 differing objects (they both have .hitObject but only ray has .hitPosition:D

Note the Ladars render lines, :smiley: I think it could catch pretty small objects :smiley:

Check this out !!

Attachments

PrettyView (1).blend (706 KB)

ok this is the ladar, without errors on layer 3 -

Attachments

Sensor (DroppedError).blend (703 KB)

As you post this in the discussion forum I guess you expect us to guess what it is and talk about.

A) It is the first time you provide any information of what you are attaching. Well done.
B) It is still not enough, to get what you mean. Btw. what is a “ladar”. I can’t find it in the dictionary.

C) You call it “radar” but I see you are comparing ray sensors with radar sensors. These are two complete different things.
A RadarSensor senses for a face within the radar cone.
A RaySensor senses for faces along a line.

D) You say it is “better”. But what means “better”? You show some timing. RaySensors are faster than RadarSensors. The Radar sensor is one of the heaviest (in terms of performance) sensors we have in the BGE. This is because it has to evaluate a volume rather than a “simple” line. In terms of detector range the ray is worse than a radar as it detects just a fraction of the radar cone. In terms of flexibility the ray is better as it can be “blocked” by other faces.

E) Just looking at the .blend (from the first post) does not provide a lot information what it is about.

• I see a lot of cubes. (

• The objects with a name (Radar*, Ladar*) do have a meaningful name but do not have any logic. So they seam not to do what their name suggest.

• The objects Cube* with logic seems to be replicated multiple time as they all have the same logic.

• The logic bricks have no meaningful name. This means it is hard to guess what they should do. Example: A PropertySensor with the name “Property6”, a PropertyActuator with the name “property7”. This is not really helpful. I know these are the pre-set names of the bricks, but Blender does not know what you are trying to achieve. You have to write it by yourself. Something I expect in a demo. This way you can collapse the logic bricks to hide the configuration parameters:
    [LIST]

• rather than sensor “Property” name it “isNotFlip”,

• rather than actuator “Property4” name it “setNoFlip”,

• rather than actuator “motion1” name it “rotationX”.

• You use the values “FALSE” and “TRUE” as boolean values. I suggest you use Python Syntax: “True” and “False” as this is what you will need when you dig deeper into Python programming.

• Beside the sensor “Ray” and the Python controller with “gamelogic_simple.py”, I have no idea why the remaining logic bricks are there.

• “gamelogic_simple.py” is a really bad name. It does not tell anything. It is similar useless as the text block named “Text” which surprisingly exists as well. The name of the Python file, should provide information of it’s purpose. In you case as this is a script there is only one purpose: write the name of the detected object in the parents property. Please, think about a name by yourself.

• Why is the property called “FaceProperty_05”? It is supposed to hold an object name (see previous paragraph). Why is there a suffix of “05”? Where are the other properties?
    [/LIST]

Lidar (also written LIDAR or LiDAR) is a remote sensing technology that measures distance by illuminating a target with a laser and analyzing the reflected light. The term “lidar” comes from combining the wordslight and radar.[SUP][1]
[/SUP]

I was confused, I was thinking Ladar = Lidar

this is going to be a component, face Properties are part of the data passing system in my game,

casting 2 rays at 10 units, that sweep 22.5 degrees, rotating at a rate of 3.14 degrees per frame, covers the whole area that a radar covers, just not every frame, so the resource use on the Lidar is about half that of a radar, and it can be blocked, like you say.

I’ll update the top file to the newest one.

This system is intended to feed a target to my logic nodes.

It sound’s interesting, but is it practical?
A near sensor altered to check only once a frame is very effective, it also reports all actors for input.
Also using a sphere object to look for collisions is very fast, I think this is because the physics checks even when you don’t really use it.

What I am asking is what are the advantages of the radar over existing methods?

This Lidar can’t see through walls(biggest concern for vision cone), and can “steer” based on offset angle math (some day!)

This is going to feed a property through to guns, and locomotion components.

(think robot head = sensor , robot torso -controler, robot legs- Actuator, Gun = actuator)

So this system can be used to feed other systems it’s target, and the position where it hit the object.

it’s going to go something like this-/