My realistic stone tests

linuxpimp21: I did create the normal map like in the tutorial. Duplicated the object, then use a displacement modifier to displace the new object (multires 6) with the same texture that I used for color. Then did a “Selected to Active” normals bake. What exactly are you trying to say about specular?

Jeepster:

now if you really want photoreal, you should render with lux! :eek:
lol I should look into external renderers…

Ok so here’s the same mesh and normal map from above, but a differnent texture, and very low spec value. My own texture photography.

Attachments

They are looking pretty good. Now you just need a scene to put them in!

Now you just need a scene to put them in!

Yep! That’s next. But first I’ve got an idea to made a normal map from that texture.

That latest batch looks much better.

Asmisov: Never seen Obsidian or Quartz? (i have a piece of river polished quartz which is way shiny)

elam: That makes me happy :slight_smile: thanks.

Sycosys: True :smiley:

Here’s some more stones. This time I converted the RGB texture (which you see on the mesh) to greyscale and used it to create the normal map. High specularity but the color map is mapped to “Col” and “Csp” which controlled the bright spots.

Attachments

Finally I have created a good normal map :smiley:

This technique works really well for turning an RGB image into a normal map without the use of other software.

So I used the same greyscale image as before. Only this time I made a new Blender scene and used a “Displace” modifier to displace a multires plane. Basically lots of multires and a level 2 subsurf got the detail out. Then I used a material node set up (explained in the Yo Frankie tut on how to make animated normal maps) to render out the normal map colors.

I also sculpted those stones a bit. But the fine detail is still normal map. And they arn’t shiny!

Attachments

The last ones look really good, and most rocks aren’t shiny unless they’re wet.

very nice refined work now. You’ve improved quite a bit. The only thing I could offer now is maybe, if your going for photoreal still graphics, try doing some moss with particle hair.

try doing some moss with particle hair.

Great idea! Thanks I’ll try it!