My reply on the 3DS Max release at CG Talk!

Have a look at my reply!

BgDM

lol
Ill check on the thread, to see reactions… :slight_smile:

but for many people its the price and status that counts

it depends on the label on your shirt if you re hip. it depends on the shoes you wear…

so when you post this in the max-release thread, youll propably only get some arrogant sniffs: “blender? but thats a toy, its free, cant be good…”
The funniest part is, that most of them have a speciall carrieranimal release of their app, but still show of: “mine is worth 3k, and yours?”

well, lets wait for reactions. I think its funny, but I cannot agree, that it was the smartest of ideas, to post it

wanna beer? :wink:

btw. what were you doing in the max-release thread anyway? :stuck_out_tongue:

Aren’t you going to get banned for that like what was said in another topic here?

a good one, but i’m sure they will delete it… it is talking about blender when they are talking about expensive soft…

@BgDm: you **&#¡.d !! you made me go through 14 pages of a max7 release discussion :x

well at least I know now how much better maya and XSI is, in comparation to max :expressionless: [!]

just to bad, that in none of the points mentioned, blender can keep pace with the big guys :expressionless: come to think of it :frowning:
a good bit of the discussion was the integration of charakter studio- and anim is unfortunately still a weak point in blender :-?

Their program may be worth $3k, but are their skills? :slight_smile:

Yes

I’m not sure what you hoped to accomplish, or why you said what you did. Why should anyone have to ‘watch out’?

I’m not trying to be a grouch, but this sort of thing dosn’t do the blender community any good I’m afraid.

Flamebait…

I’ll pat you on the back when you post something there that gets front page.

Hi!

I have now about 3 years 3D experience, played around with Max, Maya, Lightwave, Softimage, Cinema and so on.

Compared to blender the User Interface of all of those sucks, it’s hard to work and to model with them IMHO.

But after all my models and scenes have grown far from 1 Million Vertices and I think the main advantage and the main cause for the high prices are the renderers and not the programs themselves.

Take a look at Cg-Talk and tell me how do they get such high quality images without having problems with high rendering times?

The problem is: The Blender renderer gets awful slow with high poly models.

For Example : I got a P4 machine with 3GHz which I bought only for blender, but my render times have gone far from 10-12 hours with high oversampling and Ambient Occlusion to produce high quality images.
And I always have to render in higher resolutions to get rid of blenders aliasing.

I think as long as Bender has this lack of speed it’s uninteresting for the professional and the prices of MAX and others are warrantable IMHO.

Cheers

ReSeT

P.S.: I really like Blender, but it’s so slow…

Actually…they’ll end up using Blender at some point, not all
of them…but quite a few.

As a few of you already know now - I use Blender at work
to create character-mascot’s for the products the company
produces & creates ad campaign for. I even use The Gimp
for the post processing as my “paid-for” software can’t handle
the tremendeous cinema-poster size ads…but Gimp’s just fine.

With the proper use of OSA in the materials AND the renderer
there’s virtually no visible render bugs on the final posters,
We’re amazed at the quality (and speed) of the internal
renderer.

Blender has been used to so many things you won’t belive
it here at the company, quick speedy illustration of industry
idea’s that needs to be postersized for campaigns trough 1 day
only (deadlines tighter than ever) but Blender makes it possible
because of the good workflow.

Of course…I could do the same with my earlier 3dstudio max
license…but chosed Blender instead.

What I really miss sometimes are a really good and quick
hair-solution. Ripsting’s Fiber have been the closest one to
anything useable I’ve used so far but it’s not useable for
commercial high-end work YET, neither is Beast or the “manual”
way of creating hair.

I create a lot of animal-mascot’s and Blender shines with
these…they’re on posters and products all over Denmark now
but as a In-house 3d graphican I’d of course love to enhance
the next generation of “mascot’s” by giving them “garfield hair”
but at the moment that simply isn’t possible in Blender.

I really hope that someone of you creative heads out there
manage to create a good hair"y" solution to our “loss of hair” :slight_smile:
Maybe I’ll have a go at python myself one day if the time
allows for it but I doubt that I’ll get the time, we’re so busy
creating ad’s, posters, plastic-bags etc. that there’s hardly
any time for recreation - but hey I’m not complaining, I actually
have work doing what I love the most - creating 3D and getting
a salary.

The character rigging bones aren’t easy either.
I’ve rigged a few characters but it’s very time consuming and
there lack a lot of features such as possibillities to “pin” the
character to the floor…the hands pinned to objects or
parts in the “scene” etc. There are probably many “dirty”
solutions to this…but still cumbersome so I won’t touch that
yet.

One feature that would be great if one could assign
action controllers to say…bone animations. So one
could create a set of “hand” controllers where one can
control the restrained movements of the fingers with
sliders. That’d be real useful.

bgdm,

I have to say that your post is very disappointing. I know that you are better than this. That type of post only makes Blender users look more like crazed zealots. I understand your point but this is not the way to make it known.

:frowning:

TorQ

He is a crazed zealot LOL

Alltaken

Yes[/quote]

I was referring more to the general users of such programs I have come across, be they uni students or ‘warez’ folk. Many I’ve seen really were not that impressive, and certainly would not justify the cost (for them), yet they still hop on the fanboy wagons.

With the new anti-aliasing routines you can get good results even with it set to 5 and of course higher OSA then that will cause render times to lengthen, and AO really slows down render times. Plus you can get good images without using it anyway.

high-budget-3D-applications-user (man … what a term) are really funny.
i realized this, when i showed my Alien queen on some boards.

“YOU DID THAT WITH BLENDER?!?!?!” say always said. as if modeling has anything to do with the software, as long as it supports the basic features.

personally i prefer a software like blender where i might have a chance to see all features at least once instead of a software which costs thousands of bucks and millions of features which you never ever will be able to use.

These guys know what they are talking about and do cross-application comparison.
They probably know blender as well. And all they will do might be a pitiful smile.
(I know I wrote something different in the first answer. I miss took them with people on other 3D forums?many of the guys and gals in that thread are CGprofessionals)

Look at the character animation tools the big guys have to offer and then try to find a workaround to achieve the same in blender?.

yet.

Generally Blender is much faster to use, but there is also less functionality.
If you disagree, just check this out:
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2845
and/or Download the free versions of maya,XSI, Houdini(what a weird ui) and max and see for yourself

Blender is a cool tool to use but still far away of being a character animator´s delight.
Anyway Ill stick with Blender, as it will get there eventually.

Hehe…I don’t have to download the other apps, I’m one
of those that had a full blown license for those expensive
tools :wink:

I now use Blender instead…

…But I hope the character tools will step up to par so
I can get that workflow going too…not just the modelling,
one can model so much…

Quote:
yet.

Generally Blender is much faster to use, but there is also less functionality.
If you disagree, just check this out:

Actually I totally agree with that guy.

In character Studio, I hit planted key whenever I want, or sliding key. In XSI F. (now I’m turning to slowly be an XSI noob…Maybe it’s in wings where I only don’t feel a noob XD ) , I have configured a hotkey to create what is called a pin object. Indeed , better than in cs. I just select the joint, hit my key, and appears there a pin object that will pin the joint there, I can delete it at any moment, move it, add others, etc…workflow wise as couldn’t be more, and…well, no need of breaking the skeleton, or doing tricks that have some problems, specially exporting into certain engines. Also its IK and FK…are a thing to look at…I didn’t expected it, as like when I got into Blender, my only interest is in character animation, I do all the othe rstuff with wings and Ultimate Unwrap…the uv mapping in XSI, I expected it weak, but is not… And has very curious modelling tools.

harkyman anyway, has done a lot of work on stuff similar to this…but he is doing a load of different things for Blender, and cannot multiply his hands and brain… :wink:

About the everlasting matter of this kind of threads. Is better say nothing and just do art with whatver you want.

Lately I am using oils for painting, and an staedletter (if written so) pencil for quick drawings, hehe.

yes, anything that has basic tools is a candidate to allow doing a master piece…anyway, I don’t use that criteria to make my own idea on which tool is better.

I have used Max, and if I were rich…I’d love to not only have this Foundation XSI, but also Max. is really good, and I have seen stuff done with it that…well, no words to explain it. But i am afraid many of the greatest maxers just do their work at a company, and have not many interest on posting on forums. But true that it’s seen many bad art done with it; as always, that fact tell you nothing, no clue about the tool itself.

It can do about anything you can think of. And in many ways.

Each software has its lovely points.

I gotta say I love max. I love it for low poly modeling and unwrapping, and for animation. I also love render to texture(its better than blenders by a mile) I will definately be getting a student version of max 7 when it comes out. I hate how you can accidently push a button and something about your interface or tools will f*&* up so badly that the program is unusable unitl you figure out which key it was. Blenders iterface is definately much more clean.

But on the other hand I can model so much faster in blender. I seem to be doing a lot of my character modelling in blender and then animating and textureing in max. When the animation tools in blender become less timeconsuming I will probably move exclusively to blender. That, and if I get offered any freelance work… who can afford aus $5000(you know, unless your making a fair bit of money off it). They are pretty damb gready on that one. Plus I have 4 2 gigaherts machines at home to render over with blender so render times are not to much of a problem.