my screen turn off when i whant to "split area"...

hi!
I’VE JUST INSTALLED BLENDER 2.33A ON MY MAC G3 BLUE & WHITE 450 MEGAHERTZ RUNNNG WITH OS X 10.2 . THE PROBLEM IS WHEN I WHANT TO SPLIT THE WINDOW IN TWO “SPLIT AREA”.

I PLACE THE CURSOR ON THE BORDER OF THE WINDOW AND IT CHANGE FOR A HAND, I RIGHT CLIC AND POUF! MY SCREEN TURN BLACK . NOTHING TO DO EXECPT RESET THE MACHINE.

THERE IS A SOLUTION OR I HAVE TO PURCHASE MAYA FOR $$$$$$$$$$?
THANKS FOR ANYONE WHO TRY TO HELP ME
MART[/b][/i]

Yikes, take it easy with the UPPERCASE! :wink:

What sort of graphics card is installed? You can find out with Apple Menu -> About This Mac then ‘More Info’. You can try setting your dislay to thousands of colors - this sometimes helps problems on the Mac.

Hi BROKEN! :stuck_out_tongue:
My video card is : ATI 3D Rage 128 GL video card with 16 MB of VRAM
I have try to put the color display to 1000 but the problem still there.
What can you say about it?
Thanxz
Mart

Do you have any problems playing games or have you seen that behaviour elsewhere? It seems strange that it happens when you just split the screen. I have a 700MHz G3 with a Radeon 7500 16MB Vram and I have never had my screen go black.

I wouldn’t recommend you buy Maya if that’s the machine you’re going to use. Try downloading one of the test builds from Blender.org for Mac OS X and see if you get on any better. You should get it anyway because there are loads of new features in the new version.

First, check out your crash logs to see if your machine actually messed up or if your display just went. You might have gotten a kernel panic that arose from the OpenGL drivers. I take it you didn’t get a screen scrolling down that told you to restart did you?

maybe too big blender-window (and too few VRAM)…try making a smaller blender window or lowering the screen resolution.

if that wasn’t a joke or something: i’d go for a new G5 rather than MAYA. a G5 costs the same as maya complete, but if you get blender you’ll have a 1st class 3D software AND a 1st class computer you can use it on, if you go for maya you’ll have a 1st class software but a computer on which it won’t run properly.

maybe you can upgrade you graphics card? i know there’s less choice than on PC’s, but maybe you’ll find a decent GeForce for you MAC?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

My problem is gone!
I upgraded my os from 10.2 to 10.2.8 and now it work!
No more screen go off!
My Old G3 (256 of ram) still rock and im going to learn 3d! Yahoo!
Thankzz people i will show u my first work soon (i hope)
Mart :o

I recommend getting Panther. It is much faster on older machines. Everything flies. If you open the system profiler in 10.2, it takes about 30 secs to launch - instant in 10.3. Pdf documents like the Blender manual open and render really fast too.