My Sketchbook for 2023 -MM

Awesome! Hope that beak isn’t more like a pileated woodpecker’s beak.

No telephone pole would ever be safe :black_heart:

1 Like

Dream Car 01 Small Update: Started modeling the Engine!
2023-12-24T23:25:00Z

A quick update on how I’ve started modeling the engine for the car.
I’ve done a piston, which I think will be final.

↑↑Piston 01 quick poly modeling, probs 1 hour.

It’s a bit messy but will have to do I think. What do you think? It’s hard to judge with holes and bridges still missing, but what do you think about the wireframe?

My reference is an engine from an F1, just to be safe \e/. ←That’s a yay sign
It’ll go in the back, but I’m planning to put another engine at the front, to make it a rear-heavy car, but more mid-engine-like. Split the power between the two engines, but you can also synchronize their Rpm for maximum power. Though I’ll think more since I have no clue what an engine that fits in that tiny space at the front will look like. If it works though, it’ll be a double-engine-hybrid! Take that Prius. More wiring than an electric. lel.
Goodnight.

5 Likes

Oh, and I forgot to say I have an anxiety disorder too, which explains the:

Anxiety comes in quick hyper-sensitive hits, whilst depression lurks behind slowly consuming time somehow.
I had anxiety since I can remember, I was shy.
So, anxiety → perfectionism → depression is my current route. Good thing I can finally keep track. Today was dullness only. What a nice day.

3 Likes

My render just baked.

Materials will change I think, but not bad.

6 Likes

Come on dude, you are a great blender artist, better than I will ever be, don’t give up. BA for me is a refuge I am the nerdy kid at school, and at home apparently, I don’t put enough effort into anything and I’m just a lazy slump. So Blender and BA is my only refuge, and seeing all your artwork has truly brought me joy, and inspired many creative instincts in me, and just allows me to escape it all, and fit. I know I probably shouldn’t be here, I’m too young, but this is the only place where I smile, and I feel happy, I just feel like the rest is gloom, at school I enjoy learning, but I get bullied all the time, and at home I am away from the bullies, but my parents just are always disappointed at me for some reason or another. I know it is right for me to have depression, but I don’t understand why you, @good_omen or @piranha4D deserve it, I know I am useless and deserve nothing good, but why do you guys have to suffer too, I don’t understand. Please, just keep chugging, just please do it for me, or for anyone, keep it up with the amazing art.

And I know this has become about me, because I can’t stop myself cuz I’m just to much of a selfish brat, but keep it up.

3 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate you looked through quite a bit of this.
People like you give me the most joy I can get, it’s feedback and I like interacting, even if people call it the “shy way.”
I didn’t have much space for myself in school either, so I understand your pov.
There’s always a reason for things to be as they are. Maybe thinking too much about anything connects a person to the uncanny grey reality, the simplest things and thoughts can make one’s reality all too dark. No one can see the value in things when in depression, and that’s why it mostly ends up becoming medical. A vacation to the tropical lands won’t fix it, at least not permanently, and seeing the unfamiliar places with grey eyes won’t make happy memories anyway. Might make things worse.

What helped me through school was, to question everything people say. Doesn’t matter if it’s your parents or teachers, everyone is living in their world, as a human who has made countless mistakes, and sometimes not even realizing them for the rest of their lives. And you need to live in yours.
Having a goal, a simple one. Making rules from it. Live by them. When I was as young as I can remember, I always wanted to be a great person. Empathetic, calm, professional, all the descriptions for good people all over the world. Ones that come into your dreams like a sun. Ever since then, I walked on my path to becoming a better person each day. I’ve dealt with culture shocks and reverse culture shocks that made my goal obsolete; everyone had different kinds of messiahs. Since that discovery, I started to observe people regularly so I could create a personality that best fits into that environment in my opinion. By that time, I knew how good and bad people come to be. That’s when I fully succumbed to the term “there’s always a reason,” and when I realized that there is no line defining where good and bad begin. Everything is progressive, and most people don’t realize until they’ve become what they’d really hate. One thing I know for sure though, is that when a person near me is great, I’d instantly know. That person will know that I’m the same type as them, too. You see, it was all personality types. I’m progressively becoming the best person I could be, in my way.
One simple rule of seeking to become a better person has taught me a lot of things and made me realize just how many techniques people use to communicate, deceive, and show others what they mean to them, and most of them weren’t even words! One thing you seek each day can become something that is undeniable. Thinking through perceivably the most uninteresting things in the world has made people realize just how small humankind has always been. Thinking through a ton of things has finally given me a foundation. It’s the smallest details that matter.

It’s weird how I, a supposed depressed one, feel like I can give advice. After all, I’m failing. But as I write, I’d be very happy if someone can relate, and say, “Hey, he knows what’s good.”
This isn’t some self-help bs, but I’ll keep doing it for you, so you better do it for me, too! Humans are weak; being lazy, selfish, and a disappointment to supposedly everyone around you is a coping mechanism, and you shouldn’t be discouraged to have it. It’s fine to have grey days and miserable nights; time will pass, and eventually, when you’ve thought enough, you’ll realize just how many places you have been missing that can feel great to be in. Then, you’d look back at school as just one page in your book, not the whole world around you as you might see it right now.
I’m happy for you to be able to be here from a young age, I didn’t know anything about 3D graphics when I was in middle school. You’re never too young to be anywhere, but you can be too late (realizing that you’re too late gives you a chance though!).
Maybe you can make a sketchbook here. If you think the people you pinged have great artistic talent, don’t be afraid to post anything. It’s a sketchbook after all, and people here can be of great help, especially with CG. It’s been great for me to be here. Good luck, and I’m looking forward to your endeavors. :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you so much. I appreciate the suggestions to help me with my situation, but I don’t think my work is good enough to be on BA along with the amazing things you guys are creating amazing masterpieces and I don’t think my art deserves to be here. I know I know, I posted the Abrams project, but I am regretting it because It is just too bad to be up in the forum. But I will keep trying, and even though I know I am horrible at blender, maybe I will get better and start making things that are worthwhile to post here, and deserve to be here. Thank you for your support.
-Julian

2 Likes

And I’m glad you did post the Abrams project, even if you regret it. It was good insight on what kind of things you might be interested in, and so on.
People don’t only post to show off here. Sure, I’m happy with what I’m creating, but I need feedback to change and to get better. And I’m still not as good as half the people here, I bet. It’s like a dairy. And for me, reading back on it years later makes me smile. I’m glad I have the hardcover diaries I have when I used to write them irl.
It’s totally fine if you don’t want to, but you do have a place to, and when you do, I’ll be looking forward to it. Good luck!

P.S. Your Abrams project has a solid start. If you Blendered from middle school, even just an hour a day, you’ll inevitably become really good at it, even if you don’t want to.
It’s complicating, but you’ll find ways to shortcut to better solutions, becoming faster at it, and overall get used to it. It’s just familiarizing tools, nothing special.

2 Likes

I just feel that it isn’t even far enough along to be a WIP and the skills and such I used are so simple and it looks so bad, that it is just taking up space, and it doesn’t deserve to be here, among such great art, it is just bringing the forum down, and I have no way to delete it.

People here have different approaches to art, and you can have yours. Great art is subjective. And, people here start new WIPs when they get as far into a project as you did, so I think it deserves to be here. I don’t think it’s bringing the forum down, I mean, it’s a place for discussion, and the discussions mean a lot, if not more than the art that starts the conversation in the first place.
I think they said it’s harder to delete because deleting posts potentially destructs conversations. See, it’s about the interactions, not how good people are at art.

2 Likes

I see. Thank you. I might think about it.

1 Like

two points:

a) all those great masterpieces, as you see them, started out as simple as your Abrams. :slight_smile: every scene starts with the mere solitary cube (or even less, as i have those turned off :smiley: )

b) we are all our own worse critics. if we all went by just what we ourselves saw/heard/whathaveyou, none of us we be good enough for putting our work in the public eye. there’s always someone we view as better (and honestly, most likely is)… we can only put on our A game, do the best we can do honestly, and be happy knowing that it is the best we can do at that moment in time. we all will get better over time, by learning from what we’ve done already. using input from others is a great way to give you different perspectives on how to approach things as well, speeding you along that path. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The moment you start creating something with a goal in mind, it’s a work in progress. I understand your feelings about it not belonging here (I didn’t think I did either), but believe me, you do. Everyone starts with something that feels simplistic and not worth showing to anyone else, but it’s really not about that at the start, I feel. Of course you and I won’t produce master pieces; we’re new to this! Nobody but prodigies produce art everyone oohs and aahs over right from the start, but one doesn’t have to be born a prodigy to become good at something. When I started (and I’m not so far from that point) I posted not to show off (I never would have dared), but to document my progress so when I looked back on it I would be able to be more objective about it. Because I know I am prone to putting my own effort down, and keeping a journal makes me more honest and less dismissive of it. The first thing I posted here was a blocky sheep that required less skill than your Abrams project.

I use a Sketchbook to take some of the pressure off because if I posted in Artwork, even if a WIP, I’d get all stressed out. I’m into Blender for fun and personal growth, not stress. And nothing in Sketchbooks ever has to be a finished artwork ready for presentation; it’s for ideas and experimenting, and talking with people about one’s experiences. You might like the format, give it a try.

And don’t be so hard on yourself. There might come a time when you need to be, if you become a professional artist and work for a client, but that’s a ways off. In the meantime, don’t stifle your fun and your progress by being too critical; just let things happen. I don’t know about your parents; there could be many reasons why it feels like they’re disappointed – it could be that they worry about you and want you to do your best so your life will be good, but maybe they’re just not very good at showing that they care. After all, nobody really educates parents on how to be a good one, and most just muddle through, usually with bad role models in their own pasts. You’re probably best off assuming they mean well.

A lot of us have that sort of background, parents who didn’t seem to value us, bullied in school, feeling helpless, powerless, useless. It sometimes makes me angry that we as humans invest so much effort into technology, and still children have such miserable lives; where are our damn priorities? Nobody (you neither!) deserves that, ever. Nobody is useless, we all have our good points and can leave a positive mark on the people we befriend and on society. It’s in the choices we make. You enjoy learning! That is great! No, really, I did too, and it saved me. Throw yourself into that, even when everything else seems depressing and hopeless.

So you’ve decided to learn Blender. If you stick with it, work on things a little every day, you will become good at it. That’s a promise, because that’s how it works. You don’t even need a talent to develop a skill, you just need practice and diligence. So hang in there and keep talking with us; we’ll be happy to help with your blendering, and the occasional pep talk. Welcome!

(Oh, and Happy New Year :tada: , both to you and Minami. A new year always give me some extra energy, and I hope all of our 2024 will be at least a little better than the last year.)

7 Likes

Hey Piranha, thank you very much for all the kind words, I might try to start a sketchbook soon, thanks.
-Julian

3 Likes

Hey Julian, just post your stuff. If you are truly a beginner, you might not get much comments and engagement from others. But that doesn’t matter, cause you’re doing it for yourself! It will push you to improve. Even if no one comments, you’ll know at least a couple people will see it and you’ll try a little harder.

Regarding the latest render in this sketchbook - I know nothing about cars, but that thing would be the coolest alien bad guy in some sci fi show with a dash of humour. :smile:

3 Likes

Hey I have since posted some stuff in a sketchbook I made, but I don’t have firm access to blender much, so I haven’t had access to it in a week or 2 so that is why I haven’t posted recently.

2 Likes