My very first blender project - the navel fish...

This is my first render with blender. I never clicked on the render button before. Actually, I didn´t really want to. It just happend after I accidentially added some meshes when I started Blender for the first time… really.

http://www.nicohagen.com/galerie/nabelfisch3.jpg

Now, serious. I just hate this “this is my ‘first’ render and tell me how cool I am always regarding that it´s my first try…”-stuff. This is my Blender-Learning project, meaning that I knew nearly nothing when I started and learned the techniques while doing this one. I somehow wanted to use no external textures, so everything is procedural. Also no radiosity in this one. The slight focal blur was done with gimp, everything else is pure blender.

This is dedicated to the system admin at the school where I study in Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg. I was so darn angry about the settings and restrictions on the PCs (that couldn´t be changed of course) so I had to do this. This is a Nabelfisch, derived from Babelfish, a really funny translating machine. Babelfish translates Nabelfisch to “navel fish”, which closes the circle… ummm. :smiley:

Please tell me what you think!

holy crap!!

that’s awesome!!!

excellent work!!

i see nothing wrong, except the eye doesn’t seem to blender with the body well, but awesome stuff. :o

That is pretty good. Maybe some bump on the skin, but that is all.

BgDM

Cool.

It’s pretty good, but it’s missing fins. Otherwise nothing more to add.

I actually thought about adding REAL fins, but they would imply that the navel fish can at least do SOMETHING besides just floating and showing everyone he´s the admin in the pond… see? :smiley:

hay, teeth need to be brushed :D.
nice work.
All the best.

you should have him on a stick… stuck on the bottom of the ocean… on a stick :o

I agree, that fish needs to quit smoking. His teeth are kind of yellow. Jus just kidding. Das ist gud.

Really cool, like the effects and reflections, is there a tutorial possible to explain how you got the shape of the fish, and such good reflections?

LOL, Now I just can laugh my self to death, when you explained the fin thing… :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Really cool, like the effects and reflections, is there a tutorial possible to explain how you got the shape of the fish, and such good reflections?

Thanks. I started with a 8-vertex-circle that I simply extruded a few times. You can still see that when you look at the mouth of the fish, Here´s a picture of the early phase, but the mesh didn´t change much after that:

http://www.nicohagen.com/galerie/nabelmesh.jpg

The reflections on the chain are simple env maps, but maybe you mean the caustics on the top? One lamp above the fish casts them. Here are the settings:

http://www.nicohagen.com/galerie/nabellight.jpg

geez… all I can make are goofy particles astrewn around the screen. Great fish, and boy I do like fish.

I know, you won’t to hear that, but… “Wow, it’s perfect for a first try!”
Actually it’s perfec even for a couple of another trys, hehe. :wink:

Very nice :slight_smile:

Stefano

A model with character - good lighting - nice composition - good materials. Success!

Great job.