Myrlea, "The Shepherd's Quest"

Just some code clean up today and some bug fixing. There is a lot of messy code for the inventory and as I started to work out ALL the stats and how they add up etc I realized it was something that needed done before I go any further…you try something and it works, but you want to refine it…so you comment it out and it sits there :wink: I have about 200 lines of commented out lines of code making it difficult to read :slight_smile:
I can hopefully have something better to show next week…I may do some more modeling or something to break up the monotony of seeing a mario like world for every video :slight_smile:

Yeah, you could clean some of your file meshes. Like the house with like 5 materials. You could bake and make atlases from the small stuff and etc… You know one mesh, one material is one draw call or was it 2 draw calls. :slight_smile:

oh, lol…yeah most of the models use multiple materials(hello draw calls!)…the level that you see is all place holder…about the only thing I have made that is staying is the inventory as I am getting deeper into the development the things I implement now will be more akin to my plans…the rest I will need to go back and bake into single maps…this is also the reason some maps are large…they will be baked down. I will use atlases on smaller groups of items…like barrels and chests will have their own particles etc…things like that.
I am fully aware of the wasted resources atm :slight_smile: but if you develop a game with only a flat plane you will run into a lot of issues later. Actually the terrain will stay, but it also is going to take a lot of work.

I have updated the initial post in this thread, mostly this week has been cleanup and improvements to the inventory(still) it is quite an undertaking to get it to the level I require…here is a 6 min-ish video with the work done since the last update. I hope it is still as interesting for others as it is for me. For those unaware I am going to release this game 100% free when it is complete for Linux, Windows and Mac if I can get it working on Mac :slight_smile:
without further babbling…

Inventory addendum: Very short…getting items actually working this is just a simple sword.
thanks out to Monster, sdfgeoff, BluePrintRandom and ofc all the UPBGE team panzergame, youle and all the others. I feel although the game is nowhere near complete these people still deserve a little appreciation…none of them get paid for doing all they do for us…making upbge and the others who help on the forum. If I left someone out…let me know I will need to one day compile a list of credits for my game.

I have not accomplished much this week, due to family engagements taking the children to a carnival etc…
Aside from that I have just been optimizing the inventory and fixing some bugs I had not accounted for(yes, still :() just more proof that there can never be enough planning. I also realized there is no way to destroy items…so I will have to work on that…should be trivial…I hope I can have more to show next sunday…as I consider every other sunday my unofficial time to post an update…I am only posting now because of the life cycle of most games that use bge/upbge and if things go un-said it generally means developments stops…but I am still as committed as ever :slight_smile:

Small update this time, like with the inventory, the dialogue systems are taking some time to get working, and then I will need to polish it all up…it IS working atm, but not up to the standard I want it to be at…I am going to be implementing a branching dialogue system and hope it works out :slight_smile: Here is a quick screen grab.

I realize it looks like I am speaking to the sheep, but the brick pilar with the red cube is my NPC testing dummy :slight_smile:

Its cool, in Valiant the sheep can talk and give you magic items. :slight_smile:

lol, yeah :slight_smile: it’s actually kinda funny…the sheeps’ AI is really messed up, it wanders around aimlessly and randomly spawns in places when it is out of view…so I never know where it is going to be…I walked into that little house once and it was following me, when I walked out…it was on the roof…‘baaaaa’ ‘baaaa’ :slight_smile: I am just going to scrap that snippet and start new, but I need to get the dialogue working properly first.

wow nice I love the style with that maga lil zombie guy red goti…

Thank you.
I may not have the dialogue system ready this sunday, progress is slow…writing the system, testing…seeing it has flaws, and rewriting it…I think I have it working relatively well, but I need to make a few changes to the system and to other parts of the code…additions for quest rewards etc…I took a little bit today to work on it’s ui a little and think it looks a bit better, but getting text to be easily readable is proving to be a difficult task…it will all work out in the end though
…quick image…yes, the frame rate really is @45 fps atm…but that is me forgetting to tone down the shadows they are pretty high with a 500meter range…shadows really…really eat the frame rate…I am still running at 60 fps though under normal conditions(read, normal shadows)

ok, my little sunday update :slight_smile: I say little because I have nothing actually new to show :frowning: but!, the dialogue system is now in place and just under 200 lines of code too:) I had to re-write it 5 times to get exactly what I wanted, but it is always worthwhile…I have unlimited branches and a simple a/b case switching dialogue system that can support unlimited dialogues based on how many times you speak to an npc…it is probably more robust than I need for normal npc’s but barely enough to get decent NPC quests working…I know I am not making the witcher 4 or skyrim so I am fine with this…I am actually very pleased with how development is going…I was a bit down about it not working and the need to keep re-writing it…but it is done…FINALLY!
In the coming weeks I will be doing some modeling and texturing to get some decent NPC’s actually in game and then I may work on a few small side quests and trading before moving on to main quests etc…so I hope I can have something more interesting to see in the next two weeks…

side note: I felt the camera focal point was a little low in the main view…I wanted that for a more exploratory vista, but ended up moving it down to get a better overall view of everything(npc’s und terrain). I am also changing the health ui, as I feel it takes up a bit too much center screen space…it also does not mesh well with the rest of the ui.

Well, I am still working on npc’s…I’ve only completed one generic female and started a generic male…I will for the most part just swap out some things like textures and hair styles to break up the monotony.

I have the waypoint system in place so they can walk paths or randomly go to waypoints(wander) I may re-do that but I'm not sure...I will probably just let it be for now, but as I go I am keeping track of things that I want to improve or change...so if I have time later I can re-visit those features/changes...

I will probably put a short video up on sunday...mainly just to show the interaction with an npc walking a path...

next week I need to figure out a way to track the quests…I had planned on doing a journal, but flipping through a lot of entries could be tedious…as I would like to add many sub and side quests…so I will be thinking about that…maybe something more visual…if anyone has an interesting idea, let me know…

I am still working on NPC things and quest related systems…below is an image of current gameplay ui…I changed the health ui drastically, it just took up too much space…
The banners along the top(top is the xp bar now)signify quests…maximum of 10 active as shown…
*Purple represents main quest
*Red normal, or side quests
*Red with seal is a completed quest…
My plan is that you can simply mouse over them to read the quest via a popup quest log…My question is, is it too noisy? does it distract from gameplay or just too large? etc etc…

I really like project Valiant u said u still using BGE right?
Its a really a Great Game bro nice visuals. Im amazed to see this project this far !!!

Id like to give it a shot someday buddy.

Fred/K.S

Sorry for the lack of visible updates the quest system is kicking my ass atm, plus I have been sick all week…so that is not helping…

@Fred/K.S: once I get all the systems in place and start to actually do proper world building etc I will then have alpha builds available to the public and open a new thread for bugs, suggestions and complaints to help me make a better game…I am using UPBGE now…it is 99% compatible with BGE though…I just would need to change some environment lighting from a script in my world handler, and that is pretty much it…I try to keep it as close to BGE as possible.

This will be a free game I may ask for donations, but it will never be a requirement, and it will be available for windows and linux...if I can find a mac tester I will also do mac...no reason to leave people out. I started this because there are simply not enough games on linux and my son was very eager about making a game....he fizzled out and I continued to work on it so he deserves some credit as well.

Depending on the future of BGE/UPBGE I will follow up with a sequel...or a new title and I will possibly ask for donations...it will not stop the game from being made either way, but it would help if I could do less at my day job and focus more on this.

Update on the dialogue and quest system, I’ve been working on this during the last month in my spare time…as always…still a lot to do…but most of the game systems are now in place, still need to add trading, save / load and cinematic and scripted events…I will probably start releasing early betas in early 2018 or late 2017 if all goes well…

Below is a short video.

So I have finally given the game an actual title, and have updated the thread title to match.

Myrlea, “The Shepherd’s Quest”

I have been doing some world building, Making another generic NPC...this time male...and started to work on the starting area...where Fergus will be inducted into the game and start his journey...
I will only work on main storyline and main characters for the next few weeks...and may not be adding any features until the need arises...so back to modeling and looking at all my notes...trying to get decent dialogue..
The single feature I may add is scripted events...but I'm not sure how necessary it is at this point..if it proves to be needed I will work on it, but for now, as I keep saying, world & story.

Very cool project indeed, love watching it’s development please keep updating…

I will, thanks for stopping in…I really enjoy showing people what BGE is really capable of…I am not pushing the graphics side of things, but I am creating a large open world game, with all the expected elements such as inventory, dialogue and quests…it is nearly never the the tool, but the artist/programmer that is the shortcoming of games development…I do realize some engines are better equipped to handle some situations…but still…people say “you cannot make a game in BGE”…I say “Bullshit!”

Today and yesterday I have mostly been working on getting the start of the game going...that means only working on the elements that play a role in the start of the game...here is the current work I have been doing on the dragon....none of the texturing is finalized and no rigging has been done...but here he is. I can probably take the poly count either way...higher or lower...but seeing as this is a 'hero' character I may end up either adding a few polys or increase the texture size.