N00b UV map issue

Hi,

First post, and thought I’d start by stating how grateful I am for such an amazing community of users that have taught me more about this program then every other site on the net combined that I have searched through. So, thank you for that!

I am working in the game engine and building a simple game, some of the walls are simply oblong cubes. (cubed rectangles?) and when unwrapped, each face is the same size. You can reproduce the issue I’m having by following these steps:

1. go to front view. Press ‘s’ to scale and ‘z’ to scale only the z axis. Make it big.
  2. Go to side view, press ‘s’ to scale and ‘x’ or ‘y’ to scale in another direction, the point is getting a long narrow cube.
  3. mark seams (ctrl+e) like you would on any cube. Select all, and ‘u’ then choose unwrap.

The result in the UV editor looks exactly like I had just unwrapped a cube with equal proportions. This is no good for my need, as I am building textures and if I apply them to this, they will stretch in such a way that’s oh so not cool.

I’m certain that I’m missing something really dumb, I just can’t seem to find it with forum searches or web searches as the problem is simple, but difficult to convey in few enough words to find meaningful results.

Thanks!
ZM

They say a picture is worth 1,000 words.

http://minimustard.com/problem.jpg

On your object use Ctrl+A to apply “Scale and Rotation to ObData” before you unwrap. This sets the scale of its axes back to 1. Use N to show the object properties.

Richard

Thank you so much! I can’t believe I have gone so long without running into this! I’ve been using blender since 2002! You Rock!