Nail storage (this has gone out of control)

have u ever thought that its his job to encourage people??
i havent yet seen a teacher of art that would sicuredge a student no mater what they did

Then show him this site and specifically the gallery section here and then have him compare your work to the ones that have been moved to the gallery. Then see what he says.

And I agree with what vitaly said too.

BgDM

I do have to say though that because of his position and that he does art and composition in photoshop himself I would say heā€™s seen a lot of art. Heā€™d probably be impressed by the art in the gallery, but he wouldnā€™t call my art worthless because of that or say itā€™s quite bad now that heā€™s seen them.

have u notised that you are the one that is calling the art worthless?? while reading throu ur threadds i havent seen anyone say word by word that your art is trash to w/e

you are the one pushing the idea and thinking that every 1 is saying that

Haha! You shouldā€™ve been in my art foundation courses. Man, do I have some horror stories that involves students with tears. Thereā€™s something that happens to you when in open class critque, the professor takes someoneā€™s work off the wall, steps on it few times, hangs it back up, and announces that the work has been improved. The worst part is realizing that heā€™s right.

Look. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve said this before. I donā€™t know any artists who look at their own work and canā€™t find something to fix. While crits from other people may be frustrating and brutal, they should pale in comparision to the criticism you have for your own work. I post work expecting, even desiring that people tear it apart. Sometimes they even catch problems that I hadnā€™t thought of.

The point: if you expect to be an artist with work for the public, you better expect feedback in the form of critiques. If you donā€™t want feedback, then you should question why youā€™re showing work at all. Also, the most honest critques you can get are from strangers. When I show work to friends or family, I donā€™t ask what they think. I ask them, ā€œWhatā€™s wrong with this picture?ā€ Otherwise, they just say itā€™s nice or good and are of no help to me.

Iā€™m only 15, but Iā€™ll throw my ā€œphilosophyā€ in here, hoping that youā€™ll somehow
gain something from it. And please, be happy about your work. Itā€™s not as bad
as some people make it (or you yourself make it for that matter). The image
in this thread is actually very nice IMO!

Okay, Iā€™ll break it up into common logic. Which is all it really is about.

There is 24 hours a day. How do you best spend them?

1. Complaining about what others say about your work.
  2. Listening to what others say, and do something about it! Work for it!

Itā€™s all about throwing away the notion that when people crit your work they
crit you - itā€™s not true! I have had problems with throwing that bit of proudness
you have over a image away when people crit. Everybody has - itā€™s natural to
be proud of your work, just donā€™t let it keep you away from improving. Itā€™s tough,
but man, ITā€™S THE WAY TO GO! Trust me!:smiley:
Be happy that anyone would ever crit your work - that means youā€™ll be able to
learn more! Improve!

Be a ā€œworkaholicā€. Fight with every scene in Blender, until you pass out!

And good luck! Sincerely hoping that you donā€™t quit. Would be a shame!
//Mathias

Hey man,

Donā€™t feel so bad! Yes critiques are hard to take, and I know exactly what you are feeling. Iā€™ve posted stuff here before that I was happy with, and then someone would come along and tell me something that was wrong with it. Each time I read one of those posts Iā€™d be secretly disappointed that someone else didnā€™t like my workā€“which seems to be exactly what you are saying here.

The thing to remember/learn is to keep trucking on, with the knowledge that the critiques are given out of kindness, as a way for you to better your work. Yes, you may occasionally get a few idiots who just donā€™t like you, and want to bash your stuff, but I can gurantee you, especially on a forum like this, that MOST of the people commenting on the art are doing it because they want to see you improve.

Oh, and read some of the posts here by other members again (StompinTom, Greenlig). I felt they were really trying to help you, not just tear you apart (and besides, they say stuff so much better than I :D).

EDIT: Gasp! M.h.p.e., youā€™re only 15? For some reason I had the notion that you were an old geezer (at least 30 or so, that is :P). Anyway. . .

-Obi

age has abosultely no meaning, im 17, (just turned 17 less then a week ago) and i have been using blender for about 4 months, im fairly satisfied with my work and skill

Icoxo is not seeking admiration, he is self-flagellating and youā€™re all helping.

While he spends half his time on these forums telling others to live life the way he believes life should be lived and to speak the language the way he believes it should be spoken, he says he doesnā€™t take criticism very well. While he claims repeatedly and often to be a Christian, he constantly threatens suicide. If he feels this way then he needs to seek counselling, not art critiques. (Itā€™s a complete myth by the way that to be a great artist you have to suffer from manic depression and self-abuse - though it is certainly a popular myth)

Iā€™m 45 years old and been involved in art in one form or another since I can remember (since at least six years old) and I wish I was as good a Blender artist as The M.h.p.e who it turns out is just 15. Search the finished projects forum and see how many pieces you find in there from me. None (that I recall anyway). Thatā€™s no reason for me to curse myself, Iā€™m good at what Iā€™m good at, I work hard to improve in other areas and I avoid those things which simply arenā€™t me or enjoy them for what they are and leave it at that.

In Icoxoā€™s case (sorry but Iā€™m just not going to play the ā€œIā€™m a real dragonā€ game) it appears he may be doing the same. Unfortunately the thing heā€™s chosen to excel at is trolling and projected self-criticism.

In all seriousness, itā€™s incredibly sad and I think forum users, if theyā€™re to be responsible, should avoid playing the game - if only to reduce the amount of trolling thatā€™s going on.

It is somewhat related to age. Not everyone is created alike and not everyone is a natural born artist. At a younger age kids get frustrated easily and try to give up more often. Its easy to get jealous of someone (regardless of age) who produces better work and makes it look easy; I know I didā€¦ there were a couple of guys I just hated :D. But around 17-18, Iā€™d expect that kids have become more mature to realize that the road to success isnā€™t easy. Give Kansas_15 some timeā€¦ after university and a few jobs, Iā€™m sure heā€™ll fall in line.

What the heck, what does this have to do with whateverā€™s being said here? And the ā€œreal dragonā€ thing is just as much a work of fiction as sago saying he is a giant baby or Wu-man saying he is an elite superhero or people referring to them as that.

Sounds like every new work you post turns into a flame war or a heated debate that has been talked about a million time. I donā€™t want to sounds like the voice of reason of such but how about we all calm down a bit. Itā€™s only a bunch of renders after all. But I agree with stompintom.

When I started working with blender about 2 - 3 years ago (god I cant remember) I was around youre age. I think 15 and something. I worked with blender for almost 6 months before I ever posted my first work of art on these forums and as i expected I got critiques. A critique, may sound negative at first, but its a GOOD THING in the long term as they point out what you need to work on. Now Iā€™ll be 18 in a few months and Iā€™ve worked a lot with blender and everyday I try to learn something new and get feedback on how to improve my latest project ( I usually if not always put my work in the WIP section before i finalise it) I try to listen to as many comments as I get. ā€œMake it brighter a bitā€ , ā€œsofter shadowsā€. If I donā€™t know how to do it, I either look it up, do a tutorial or ask but I post a halfway completed/rushed work.

So to sum it up, when giving a critique, try to tell what you need to improve and HOW to do it (it doesnt need a detailled expanation. Just a focused idea to fix the problem. ex: add another lamp and make it slightly yellowish)
When receiving a critique, dont take it as an insult, on the other hand, if you post it on these forums, you expect to get them and to use them to improve your work. People get annoyed when giving out criticism to try and improve your work only to see their comment they took the time to write ignored and find an insult rather than a thanks!

So rather then tumbling down in this spiral of everyone shouting at each other over laziness and so on. letā€™s try to calm down a bit and post your work in the WIP section to get critiques, listen to them and apply them to your work and continue until you have a decent render. Not a hastely thrown 2hour scene.

Well those are my 2 cents. I know it has been said a billion times now but I hope youā€™ll understand rather than continuing like this as it will ultimaly turn into something unpleasant for everyone
Edeehem

Amen on that one ^^ :stuck_out_tongue:

Render looks nice, but I really really really think you should fix the stretched textures :slight_smile:

[[[spend More Time On Projects!]]]

[[[this Discusion Should Go No Further Than What I Have Said.]]]

[[[the Jimmy Has Spoken And So It Shall Be.]]]

And I agree with ā€œThe Jimmyā€ This is indeed enough of this.

BgDM