Naming convention for animation frames.

Right now each frame is a 4 digit number. 0001.png, 0002.png, 0003.png and so on.

Is there a way to start with a single number? I have numerous animations I need to do, not very long which rely on a scripting loop. Having to rename each frame is a real buzz kill and I haven’t found a way to do it differently. I’d prefer 1.png, 2.png, 3.png, etc.

Hi, you cant in blender but there are tools for this on windows.

On OSX or linux there are many ways to do it.

Cheers, mib.

CKRename is another. Very flexible.

Sad that Blender doesn’t have that capability, but I didn’t even think of batch processing outside of Blender. :rolleyes:

Adobe Bridge can do batch renaming as well. rontarrant, I went to that link and the author’s download link is a 404. I don’t know if it’s better for members or not.

Thanks for the input though! Saved me a lot of time.

Simply put “#” sign after the Output directory path, like
C: mp#
This should work for your needs if your output file is image.

Grazie. Superb, exactly what I was looking for.

@Syziph, cool, never heard.

Cheers, mib.

Oops! I sent you to NoNags because it’s… well… no nags. Most sites where you can download CKRename are so busy with trying to lure people into god-knows-what that it’s impossible to find the download link.

But, a Google will turn up lots of other links if you still need it.

I thought of it afterwards, but sounds like this might be an interesting exercise in Python as well if you’re so inclined.

Specifcally, each # represents one digit of frame padding. You can also add a name to it, such as:

C:\render\foobar_##

That will give you foobar_01.png, foobar_02.png, and so forth.

When you give a filename in the output-path string, Blender will append .nnnn to it.

The filename string can also appear in the “stamp.” This name is, effectively, “the name of the strip,” and the mere fact that it consists of hundreds of individual files is just happenstance.

I always direct the different outputs to different subdirectories, in addition to assigning each one of them a filename prefix as above. If I need to completely throw-away all or part of a shot, I want to be able to select a particular directory and either throw the whole thing away, or select file(s) within only it and throw them away.

Also by convention, each of the source blend-files is in a particular directory, and within that there is a subdirectory which contains all previous versions of that blend. I basically don’t throw anything at all away, except blender-outputs other than “finals.”