naming vertexs

A few vertexs I need to give names to.
Then I need to write a Python script
to export the vertexs to my own data file.
My exporter will look for the “named vertexs”.

Maybe a custom hotkey that shows a popup
asking me for a name of the currently selected (yellow) vertex,
then stores the name as Python attribute of NMVert
(eg NMVert.name). Of course, the .name attribute
would be to saved somehow in the .blend file, reloaded.

Can anyone suggest a better approach?
Does Blender have a feature I’m overlooking that can do this?

verts will never store a name, you might make empties have a vertex as their parent. and name the Empty

or- use vertex weights and have weight for that vertex (1 weight group for a vertex is a bit overkill though)

One of the features I have always missed in modelling programs is the ability to “tag” vericies. I’d go a step further though. I’d really like to see the ability to set a number of tags or attributes to a vertex. This would allow scripts to really go to town on mesh management.

Example:
Face (human) mods. If facial parts eyelids, noses, lips, etc. could be constructed separately and then have their verticies marked as eyelid verts, but also the outer edge verts would be additionally marked as border vericies (the ones that need to be connected to the rest of the face) and one of those be marked with an alignment mark. It would be easy (much easier) for scripts to assemble custom faces and “sew” the pieces together.

Also transforms would be very easy by script. A script could easily reposition eyelid verticies (from the left eye) according to a repositioned left eye ball.

A fall back would be to simply give each vertex a PERSISTAN unique id (not vertex index), so that this info could be held outside the blend file.

If I too am missing the better way, I’d love to hear what it is.

Why not just use vertex groups? - come to think of it its probably not overkill for what you want.

It is much niver then dealing with ID’s direct - and they can be named, verts can be members of as many groups as you want and your not linmited to a set number of groups.

Have you tried vertex groups?

Yes, I’m using Vertex Groups. Close enough to what I need, thanks.

I have only used vertex groups related to bones. I need to explore this. Thanks for enlightening my noob brain.

Thanks cambo, this was definitely a “dawn breaks over marblehead” moment. Vertex groups are exactly what I need to use.

Can one apply a transformation matrix to a vertex group?

RS