Nathan Letwory explains the drop of QuickTime support in Windows Builds of 2.58 on BD

In Photoshop instead of hitting save on your psd source go “file–>save a copy” and choose a fileformat that suits you (tga? png? jpeg?) Alternatively if you have a lot of psd to convert search for photoshop tutorials on custom actions… and batch it… push button simple!

For quicktime support just add movie as usual… ffmpeg supports quicktime… it doesn’t support all codecs though (neither did blender using the quicktime sdk)…

for saving as quicktime from blender choose “ogg theora” on the pull down in the Output panel of the rendertab then go to the “Encoding” tab… choose “quicktime” as the format and whatever codec floats your boat! (h264 for delivery, huffyuv for lossless would be my choice)

simple… no driving skill required!

I wish I understood the entire situation, I’m not as familiar with the terminology as others. I’ve been using the animation setting in the quicktime selection to mix with video footage in adobe preimer elements. am I still going to be able to do this? if not does anyone have some links to software that does? I really like blender, but if this setting is being removed, my use of blender has become null and viod, I do local television shows editing and I need the ability to do this kind of layover.

I wish I could explain better but between trying to learn the new versions and how to use all the new stuff and rigging and everything else my brain is fried. and I have 5 permenant deadlines monthly, if I need to learn something new, I need to start now. thanks for the help.

Render properties:

Output:

MPEG.

Encoding:

Format; Quicktime
Codec; MPEG-2

Those settings right there will render out a perfectly fine (from my tests) .MOV, or a ‘quicktime’ video.

As for the PSD’s, unless you need something extremely specific to that format, I.e. some sort of data that only Photoshop can read then layered TIFF’s do the EXACT same job.

How exactly does blender currently handle layered image formats. Does it simply compose the layers down to a single image or can you apply layers to separate texture channels?

Are all listed formats/codecs supported in Blender?

It seems to me that it is a hard written list because Blender crashes with many formats
such as Ogg and some codecs.

Report a bug? Ogg works fine here, but obviously I haven’t tried all combinations of container/codec!

All of the video is handled by ffmpeg though, so if your bug is deemed to be with ffmpeg you may be out of luck!

thus the formats / codecs listed are dynamic now and not hard written like in the past?

I think they’re still a hard coded bunch, a subset of what ffmpeg provides… all the more reason they should work crss platform.

yep agree on the crss pltfm - this will make it a lot easier and predictable.

Request : A pdf with general introduction to some codecs settings included with Blender for : -uncompressed -compressed -uncompressed with alpha -compressed with alpha. Cause some of us need to combine transparent videos one on top of other for some fx like : -old movie -rain -snow -dust -leafs etc And not all got tera hdd so can`t store .png for a full scene. Basic , for now , wich alternative to Quicktime compressed +16 milion animation codec si now in Blender 2.5 ? Searching days on google found only Quicktime +16 milion for this so someone clarify this pls.

Thx.:frowning:

If you really want to know what options there are and what works and what doesn’t just get on and play with the settings and experiment. You’ll learn a lot more trying things out than relying on other people to do all the work for you. Do some graft rather than expecting everything to be handed to you on a silver platter.

This is more like an anti-social answer. Are you to stressed out ? or what ? It is like “hey learn blender without a book” and something “do some trigonometry without any formula” … don`t be like that cause makes you less friends in real world.

It is about time and not all have time like you have. And that means if someone waste 1 week to find what a thing do it is not good and get some narow mind answer like that does not get this community well.

Personal ? I prefer the other moderators rater than you!

Your aswer it is direct attack and no moderation at all.

The most reliable keyed video would be a png sequence with alpha. Sadly not very compressed though. And im not sure there is to many presets that work as it often appears to be system dependant.

Num

some just dont like to answer questions and don’t think about why some post a question
which is complex in nature.

You have actually a good point and I think users with more understanding of all the
formats - specifically the codecs, would be more skilled to give an objective overview
compared to a long subjective trial and error test where you propably will miss many
important and fine details …

I set up a thread some time ago asking people to leave their prefered settings, mostly for successful muxing and out put to youtube. But found that depending on the platform and build that sometimes what works for one doesn’t work for others.

Qt done by nokia and quicktime are totally different things right? not giving or even implying advice. its a real noob question. Qt is being used in libmv development.

For what it’s worth…

Containers: doesn’t matter. Use whatever depending on who you share with.

Lossless: huffyuv is nice… compact, plays back quick. in my experience it doesn’t play in vlc on Windows, but works in blender whatever platform.
Not sure about alpha as I never tried!

Losses with alpha platform: I used to use quicktime with animation codec… bulky but safe. Not available now!

Delivery: only one choice. h264 (i believe ffmpeg is actually using x264, but may have that wrong…)best to ensure the extension is
.m4v as Windows plays it back properly if you do and can stick if you don’t!

If you care about free software use ogg theora… but you’ll need to figure it out yourself…

Would be nice to try vp8 but I don’t think blender supports.

Unsupported: prores is great in a MAC only pipeline as is visually losses, compact and plays realtime. Read-only on Windows not available on Linux.
DnxHd. A crossplatform nonlibre alternative to prores that ffmpeg supports (since an soc last year I believe) but blender doesn’t.

Personally if i’m using blender and aftereffects I just stick with image sequences png,jpg or exr depending on need!
The above is obviously just my personal opinion… life’s short and testing codecs is dull!

ps Richard is right!

… just my personal opinion… life’s short and testing codecs is dull!

ps Richard is right!

How can both be right? Either life’s short and we should heed the advice of others, or we should pursue the dullness that Codec testing requires? :slight_smile:

open source evangelists are here too tell you what is right for you ! Dont you just love them ? Good thing I dont use windows any more.

For me the drop would make a sense , if it was replaced with something else. Obviously there are people depending on that functionality and wont be happy with the change.

A PNG sequence is better than uncompressed since PNG already applies quiet some compression (without loosing information). In some cases it should even be better than QT animation with it’s simple RLE compression.

FFMPEG (the library behind Blender video system) supports Quicktime animation, it’s just not enabled in Blender (you can import QT animation but not export).

Peter Schlaile is currently working on updating FFMPEG to v0.8 in Blender. He also is planning to make the encoding presets not hardcoded anymore so users can create and share profiles. This way all QuickTime capabilities should be inside Blender except ProRes and PSD.