Nathan Letwory explains the drop of QuickTime support in Windows Builds of 2.58 on BD

For serious color control does PNG have any side effects?
Coming originally from graphic design / print TIFF or PSD is what I work mainly with.

it seems to that in case you want to share an animation including also alpha channels and no
compression, PNG sequences are a good choice, as Michael promoted.

You would just have to deal with not messing up the images - you deal with sequences and not simple
movie files.

Claas, you’re more likely to have colour issues with FFmpeg sadly. (it’s an old version (0.6 or some such) and apparently has some colour profile issues… (also fixed in 0.8)

but you can also use tga or tiff image sequences… not sure about the state of exr these days, but I believe that some compatibility fixes were done to make it work with other exr software

Gottfried Hoffman’s post is correct (except quicktime container is available right now, if a bit hidden)

The debate about ffmpeg upgrading seems to revolve around what package managers have available in upcoming distributions… say you have ubuntu and 0.8 isn’t available through the package manager then your end users need to build the lib themselves or you have to bundle it with blender linked statically… (which was done in the past)…

Thank you for pointing out possible color issues with FFmpeg.
Sofar I did not really use it and thus cannot judge it at all.

It seems that FFmpeg isnt yet that universal based on what I read here and there.

Till yet I did not have the impression that exr with Blender was very compatible with other products.
Fortunately sofar most of the post-pro word I was able to do inside Blender.

I still find that different compressors (whether OGG or ffmpeg) can still have issues initializing streams, depending on the frame size specs of the animation. Even using presets can be unstable.

One step forward 2 back.

The safest way of making a bulk standard quicktime, if you have to, has always been to render a PNG sequence and compress it (and maybe add audio, if required) in Quicktime Pro. I’m really not sure what all the fuss is about.

Having said this, I agree with 3pointEdit that it’s too easy to hit problems with ffmpeg in blender. It’s like there are too many options, and most of them don’t work. VLC shares this problem.

wholesale gucci, cheap gucci sale.

Yep, any mpeg based codec (including h264) fails to initialize at certain frame sizes… non power 2 iirc. and very few codecs support audio.

The blender UI could be a lot friendlier here either through better error reporting or more ‘hard coding’ (eg disabling audio options for some codec) though that’s a can of worms…

No problems with EXR-workflow when sending stuff to Nuke :slight_smile:

No problems here with After Effects or Premier Pro.

I’ve only had problems with multilayered EXR’s in AE not with the regular OpenEXR.

… but a can o’ worms worth opening, IMHO. It’s a common complaint.

I agree that Blender is an art worth developing, discovering the various ways to skin a cat so to say. But do I really have to re-learn a basic function such as rendering output? This is an impediment to productivity not a learning opportunity!

QuickTime hasn’t worked for me for several years on several different operating systems, I now routinely uninstall it whenever it sneaks onto my laptop because of all the damned useless and often broken updates. No big loss for me.

My oppinion of Apple became somewhat jaded when I discovered they were taking a 30% cut in the appstore. That’s more like a high-street margin than an internet margin and pretty much amounts to daylight robbery of startup software developers.

Also… I can’t believe that anyone who claims to support open source software can live with themselves by supporting possibly the most closed platform out there. Microsoft rules from an Ivory Tower, Apple rule with an Iron Fist.

Your comments are very biased and lack a realistic look at the situation.

Googles great free Android is fragmented, cellphones not updated, software crash a lot,
as well as customers information being attackable with the male-ware and virus issue
Android has.

Great open system.

Apple might have an iron fist - but at least all works as it should.
Each system has their ups but also downs.

BTW I use Android.

To be fair, hardware issues and software updates have absolutely nothing to do with Google, and I’ve never heard any anecdotal evidence of anyone having a virus, and imagine the only people who get them are the same kind of tech illiterate people who get them on their PCs.

Diving completely off topic!
I’ve had an android phone for ~7 months now… no problems at all (tempting fate I know ;-)) and yes, it all works as it should!

Interesting that game devs don’t like developing for it (not as organised for payment as apple and much more prone to piracy…)

maybe downloading cracked apps is what leads to virus mayhem?

Perhaps, but yeah, waaaayyyy off topic here.

I am quite pragmetic when it comes to hardware having an android phone, ipad (as it is the best tablet you can buy at this moment) and a windows system. I just use what is best for me.

Yeah until you talk with those developers and they state in reality the cut isn’t that big seeing how much they save on hosting, administration costs, transactions costs, etc. One thing startup developers love is the fact they can spend a lot more time on their products and in some cases with big success…

I’ve seen in a newspaper how much it costs to operate the store and how much they make with app store and that put those percentages in a whole other light… . Bandwidth, electricity, credit cards transactions, multiple datacenters, etc aren’t free. Especially if you aren’t an internet company in the first place.

If it was big you would expect to see it calculated in the price and a lot of apps are dirt cheap. It seems it made launching a software product a lot cheaper.

Also… I can’t believe that anyone who claims to support open source software can live with themselves by supporting possibly the most closed platform out there. Microsoft rules from an Ivory Tower, Apple rule with an Iron Fist.

If you compare it with the mess the android market is in, it was the right strategical decision. Also from a users perspective. It is not the users fault that software is being pulled because an open source developer states the reason is “he doesn’t care for apple users”. That has nothing to do with morality, philosophy or “free” thinking, that is just pure irrational hatred against a group of people that doesn’t follow your way of thinking. That is the same for people questioning others support because they don’t follow their view. Freedom n’est-ce pas ?

And then again I rooted my device and use Ifunbox instead of itunes. It isn’t officially supported but that is the case in 99% of the rooted devices I have at home. Everyday I use open source software on my iPad for example, XBMC is one of my favorites.

Also with regarding of being closed. Apple in a lot of products could choose for there own closed standards instead of opting for open standards. They could choose to keep OpenCL for their self instead of donating it to Khronos. They could blobify a lot of things in their OS instead of choosing XML and making interoperability easier. They could put their weight behind flash instead of choosing and pushing the HTML5 route where everyone benefits, … .

One thing I have noticed as a pragmatic user is that there is a lot of FUD and irrationality (flash is bad… until Apple didn’t support it) with regarding Apple from some* users within the OSS community. I call it even iHate because it seems these days hating Apple is equally popular as buying iProducts.

And to be honest it isn’t offtopic because also in the Blender community I have seen a lot of things (general) been shut down just because there is some religious thing at stake. When you want to be taken more serious as a community you will need to act as a serious community and leave the hate and FUD at the door.

• I say some because I know that is not the case for everyone. I even convinced that this group is bigger but less vocal.

I apologise for derailing this thread with my off-hand coment, I didn’t realise views were so strong.

I’d like to clarify my position on this…

It is without doubt that Apple’s products are excellent. They work as intended and are of superb build quality, with ergonomics and usability at the forefront of the design process. They are also among (or perhaps are) the most innovative of the large hardware/software giants.

My biggest beef with Apple is that I am deeply disappointed that they appear to have squandered a position from which they could have changed the protectionist model of (computing-orientated) big business. They have made great contributions such as OpenCL as pointed out by SilenceBe above, but they still maintain almost complete closure over their platform. I’ll admit that this closure is probably the source of their stability, but I’d like to take a small tangent here to discuss my views on Freedom.

I see two types of freedom. Freedom to, and freedom from. Freedom from viruses, freedom from the consequences of having no idea about computer security, freedom from the responsibility for your own actions. Freedom to use the hardware that you have paid for in the way you want to use it, freedom to modify software that doesn’t work the way you want it to, freedom to write small apps without having to jump through corporate hoops that target the philanthropic lone developer just as harshly as money-grabbing multinational corporations.

“Freedom to” inevitably leads to abuses of the freedom, but I feel that the necessity of protecting myself from those who abuse the freedom is far outweighed by the benefits that individuals and communities gain from this freedom.

“Freedom from” inevitably leads to over-control by centralised organisations.

I said in my first post that “My oppinion of Apple became somewhat jaded when I discovered they were taking a 30% cut in the appstore”, but my biggest bias against Apple comes from my disappointment in what I see as a missed opportunity for a leading tech-giant to make moves away from the protectionism of Microsoft’s early days. With the release of the Visual Studio Express versions and the free (beer) use of the .net framework, I’d argue that in recent years Microsoft have become more open than Apple. This is a disappointment because I have no love for Microsoft and I used to see Apple as being a shining light that might one day free home computing from the clutches of this behemoth.

I guess that I may have become an iHater, but tying hardware to other hardware and bricking phones that people have freed, along with other bully-boy tactics are responsible for my change of oppinion and not any media hype or marketing ploys on behalf of Apple’s competitors. I base my oppinions on what I find for myself and not what I am told by other biased individuals or organisations.

Case study: Holiday in a foreign country.

My brother’s (13yrs old at the time) iPod provided him with much enjoyment and diversion for a few days until he accidentally let it run out of power. Upon charging it up and turning it back on, he was asked to reconnect it to a host computer before accessing the music that he had paid for out of his pocket money. That home computer was about 4000 miles away and he had to spend the next week and a half without the music that he had made personal sacrifices to buy.

If this case isn’t an advert for generic MP3 players and piracy then I don’t know what is. Apple could do much better.

What Apple did and is doing for me in terms of open source.

1. HTML5 active support for it, they contribute loads of code to it, they fight awful flash

2. Pressured oracle to make JAVA open source for macos too with active support for it, opening up any code they already made for java in macos

3. Integrated and continue support pyobjc , a python libary that give python direct access to objective c libraries without the use of objective c.

4. At last allowing python among other languages on ios and starting to open up the ios platform

and here is a tiny list of the open source software that apple supports, and by support i mean that they are in constant communication with the developer trying to make their lives as easy as possible.

—> http://www.apple.com/opensource/