National Novel Writing Month 2008

Hey, is anybody else doing this year’s NaNoWriMo? If you don’t know what it is, visit www.nanowrimo.org ASAP. It’s basicly writing a 50,000 words long novel in the month November, a crazy and fun challenge. I know there’s been another thread last year, but I thought it might be a better idea to start a new one.

My novel is a whopping 2,456 words long now. Which is way behind schedule. Darn school test weeks taking away all of my precious noveling time!

My user page is here: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/166956

I don’t know if it’s too late to enter, and I probably should have posted this in October, but anyways :stuck_out_tongue: If you feel like it, you could still enter, although you’d have an awful lot of catching up to do!

It’s the 10th anniversary of nanowrimo btw, if that can coax you into entering :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve never done this, but it is an extremely interesting idea and it sounds like a good way to “bust some myths off” of novel-writing. It’s really all about proving to people that you can get a major undertaking completed in a short amount of time … and about showing you how.

Easy to see the applicability of that idea to “our favorite profession or avocation.”

Indeed, it’s building a novel as well as building up your self-esteem. And practising planning and time management, and I’m not good at that :stuck_out_tongue:

Damn it, I have no time, have to study! Damn you, school!

I did it and won last year, but I don’t have time this year. I’m already working on a novel outside of NaNo, too, and I didn’t want to get it involved with or interrupted by NaNo. NaNo was a nice exercise, but I don’t know if I’ll ever do it again. It felt kind of like “training wheels” in a way, and I think I don’t really need it anymore.

To top it all off, I still haven’t finished last year’s novel. I got to the “end” of the story, but the manuscript is UGLY. Editing that monster just looks like such a big job I’ve been afraid to tackle it so far.

Here’s a quick tip for anyone writing fiction for the first time: ditch the adverbs. It’ll break your heart but you won’t be sorry. Trust me. (Adverbs are those little words that end in -ly, like happily and stupidly. You’ll be tempted to tack them onto your verbs, especially after said. Please don’t do it.)

I’m participating. Never won before, but I have 11433 words.

I did it last year and won, but I really don’t have time this year (and no, I did not just copy and paste what PlantPerson said). I’m doing even thought I have no time, but I don’t intend on finishing. It’s more for the purpose of getting some new ideas that I can put to use later when I have time. If that ever happens.

I did it a few years ago and won it, it was fun, but complete madness at the same time, especially the last few days. I dont think ill ever do it again, mainly because im to busy these days. Plus i have heaps of Blender stuff id rather get done.

I haven’t actually read though the story i wrote yet, its something ive been wanting to do for a while now, would certainly be interesting, i cant remember half that stuff that happened in it!

Goodluck though!

Yeah, I don’t have much time either :stuck_out_tongue: I’m round about 2,5K words now, which is nothing compared to where I should have been (1,666 2/3*7, you do the math :P), but I guess I’ll leisurely write a bit, not too much pressure. I have enough school pressure already (my first exam week begins tomorrow… waaaaaaaaaaaah). Anyways, back to chemistry.

Thanks for the good luck, AD-Edge, and thanks for the tip PlantPerson, I recognise myself in the whole adverbs thing :stuck_out_tongue: (I hope that’s not just a dutch saying I literally translated…)

Good luck with your novel endeavours PlantPerson, I love the short stories on your site! And good luck to all nano people :stuck_out_tongue: