Naughty Dog is the creators of Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, and Uncharted. We have a opening in our lighting department. We’ve been having a hard time finding a lighting artist, so that is why we’ve began posting on forums like this. If you think you have the skills we are all ears (Well, figuratively). Below will give you a brief idea of what type of job this would be. Even if you do not fit all the requirements do not be afraid to throw your hat into the ring. We’ve had applicants who’ve haven’t had all the skills we need, but we’ve given them advice on where they can improve and they have been hired after six months or so.
· Working directly with our Art, Cinematic, and Programming teams, the Lighting Artist is responsible for creating the look of our games
· Create visually awesome/compelling 3D game environments
· Work with Art and Programming team to solve technical challenges within given constraints and visual requirements
· Assist in pushing the look of a given project to new industry levels
Requirements and Skills
· Production experience with PS3, XBOX 360, and/or PC a plus
· Proven industry experience as an Environment or Lighting Artist on at least one AAA title is preferred
· Wide understanding of lighting/rendering technologies (pre-render and real-time rendering, sub surface scattering, HDR, refraction, etc)
· Familiar with Autodesk Maya and Adobe Photoshop in addition to an implicit ability to learn new tools
· Strong background in traditional art and/or photography
· Have extensive knowledge of vertex coloring and vertex lighting in Maya combined with sound knowledge and/or use of advanced lighting techniques in the video game or VFX industries.
· Advanced experience with Maya and creating simple Mel scripts is preferred
· Ability to work with minimal direction
In your portfolio please include three examples of your most impressive work. Please email your resumes as doc or pdf files and in the subject line say “Lighting Artist”. We accept attached portfolios but online portfolios are preferred. Send all this to [email protected].
Best of luck!