Need a good story for a one-man short :D

([Kothe]) #1

I speaked to a guy “On the top of the stairs” in school today and he told me I will get between 9~12 hours a week to Blender modelling and animation (And I will get grades for it). So now I have to get a good story for a short too work on.

This feels absolutely beautiful! I’m getting access to my schools 4 fastest media computers all my “school blendering time” :smiley: And that’s some nasty computers too.
Everyone in my school get a own laptop (worth about 1700$) when they start school. Just guess what the media-desktop’s worth :o

This is going to bee one fine school year! :smiley:

(shbaz) #2

I suppose the grade is soley for the animation, not the story, and so this isn’t cheating.

(knellotron) #3

story:
a guy who lives alone has an longstanding hobby of making time capsules for himself. Every year, he plants a new one, then digs up the one from 5 years ago. He keeps them buried in a row in the backyard.

One day, the day before his birthday, he carefully selects items that represent his current identity for this year’s capsule, then goes outside to dig a hole for it. After it’s buried, he goes 5 holes down the row, and digs up the can from 5 years ago. He takes it inside and begins to open it.

Normally the experience of opening a time capsule from yourself is nostalgic. It’s always personal mementos from his experiences that year, things that have a strong personal weight but no meaning to anyone else. Personal experiences that he might have forgotten…

So he opens the can he dug up, and to his surprise, instead of being from 5 years in the past, it’s from 5 years in the future. All of the contents are mementos from things he hasn’t experienced yet, not real records of the future, so he doesn’t understand them. One of them is a Christmas ornament from his mother*, wrapped in newspaper shreds. That’s how he knows what’s going on. Another one is a DVD that doesn’t seem to work.

There’s also a photograph of a girl, with a note that she wrote. He doesn’t recognize the girl, but he knows that she must be important. So he gets out of his house, and starts moving around town in social places, looking to meet her. He never finds her, not this year anyway, but the act of getting out onto the scene instead of staying alone and introspective introduces him to someone else who he does fall in love with.

If you like, you can stop here, or jump ahead to where he does meet the girl in the photo, and maybe he falls in love with her too, which jeopradizes his current relationship. The photo was placed into the time capsule with regret, not the hope that he originally interpretted.

The end.

*he gets a christmas ornament every year from his mother, but he usually doesn’t appreciate them. He knows that including it in the time capsule months after Christmas must mean that his mother has died last christmas. Maybe that’s too dark…

Do this in high contrast black & white. Scratchboard-ish, maybe.

p.s. This is inspired by Chris Van Allsburg’s The Mysteries of Harris Burdick, the finest childrens’ book ever. It inspires the imagination of the reader in a way that’s different and interactive, whereas most other fantasy books just bask in the imagination of the author. Reccomended.

(harkyman) #4

knello - that’s a fairly complex idea for a short. Not undoable, but really a very lofty goal.

Something simpler:

Girl receives a package in the mail. Oddly, it will not open. She goes through proceeding more vehement means to open the box, but they all fail. Finally, on her wildest (wackiest) attempt, she slips, goes flying and knocks herself out. In the process of falling, she sets of a chain reaction of things falling/pushing each other/etc. that culminate in the box being smashed open. Inside is…?

You decide that. You could play this a funny or tragic, depending on the music, how upset or comically frustrated she seems, and what ends up being in the box.

Advantages to this scenario: You get a chance to do a lot of facial acting: puzzlement, frustration, getting an idea, possibly sadness, etc. Also, you can do it in a very limited setting with only a small number of props. Lots of chances for physical comedy. Could be done with realism (in an apartment) or even minimalistically (mystery box on a white plain).

What should you put in the box? Something ironic. To make it sad, it could be a precious snow globe. To make it silly, it could be, like, a puppy that pees on her face to wake her up.

(Fligh) #5

For me the story stopped the moment he realized the time capsule was from the future. See, we don’t know how many time capsules from the future there are down there; we only get in on the secret when the groundhogs swap them out one day.

%<

([Kothe]) #6

knellotron: I REALY like that idéa. That’s a good story that gives me alot to play with. And just as Fligh says. It would be nice too give you alot to thinkin’ about when the movie ends.

harkyman: That’s a good idéa too, but a bit to simple. Gives you the feeling of “I do this because I know smaching things are funny”. And I would like to give little more depht to the story. Thanks anyway.

(munkey_mike) #7

The capsule idea is great. But really more suited for a long series as opposed to a single short. And you have to realize that you have a deadline. I would spend at least a third of that time to develop the concept/preproduction because that is much more important than the technical ending result, especially in a short.