Need advice losing interest in CG

Im losing intrest to create anything.i can’t complete any personal project im started,i jump to next project before i finishing current project.

If you are a beginner start with very basic and small projects do not make ambitious project like making a character which is very hard and time consuming for the begginers

1 Like

no one is forcing you to do CG. if you dont like it, then try something else. maybe a more hands on art is something to try? why art at all?

why did you get into CG to start?

2 Likes

There is nothing wrong with the need to breath fresh air.
Don’t spend full time doing one unique project.
You are not a machine.
Do something else. Do sports, gardening. Write poems. Play with other software.
And/Or install a schedule to continue several projects during same period.

You may also have evolved and don’t feel that the project make sense anymore or is as cool as you felt at beginning.
You have the right to change your mind.
You can redefine your target.
drgci gave you a good advice, retargeting the project to be less ambitious or to partition it into small pieces in order to achieve something satisfying quickly, may release pressure.
You can also abandon some ideas that you are no more agreeing with and experiment news things that was not planned.
Not following the plan does not define you as a bad artist. It defines you as a living being.
Lots of great artists did not achieve a part of what they started to produce or did not deliver what was originally planned.
That is pretty common into history of arts.

On the contrary if you are still proud of your original idea but just realize that you don’t have shoulders to achieve it, now.
Let time doing its work and think as changing to another project as a parenthesis until you feel ready and comfortable to restart.

5 Likes

Because i love Sculpting and 3d modeling but now it feels like i’m losing interest.i can’t create any artwork.

Parroting what zeauro is saying, remember that you’re not a machine. I love to program, but I haven’t worked on any code outside of work for a while. Instead, I’ve been going after other interests, and learning about what tools/techniques there are out there. Also, have a reasonable goal. If you want to be a 3d modeller working at X studio, then figure out what you need to get there, and try to execute that plan. Keep trying to evaluate your end goal, current goals, where you currently are, and where you need to be to get to your next goal. But, don’t forget to stop and smell the roses every once in a while.

1 Like

After 17 years in the business with 7 as a game developer i can only tell you that they were period where i didn’t have the will to create anything and like you i had zillions of 3d model started that were never finish. But after awhile i realize i was in a burnout and if you work in the field you love it could be a double edge sword since you are under the illusion that you are not working because you love that field but after hours and hours modeling and never seeing a finish product you get burn.

My advice take a brake do something else and see if it fix it, if not then maybe this is not what you really want to do for a living.

The CG industry is not a very fun place to work whatever people specially very young folk will tell you, after 17 years if i could change my decision back then i would chose anything but the cg industry.

2 Likes

Very good advice in the thread already.

There’s no background information to get hints of the reason. It could also be a workflow problem if you hit the artist’s block with creativity and just stop because nothing comes to mind
http://www.upcomingvfxmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/3d_production_timelines.jpeg

Design is a process where you can test various ideas quickly and eliminate ones you don’t want before committing to the laborous process of pushing it through the production pipeline. If you’re using sculpting as the tool for design, it might not be the fastest way to iterate, and you could figure things out more before starting the next one. Or, you could continue current one by switching the design tools to drawing or photo bashing for the parts you hit the block.

If it’s a production problem and you’re stopping because of problems in the pipeline, you could get through that by making the problem area another mini-project on its own and focus solving it. It’s not wrong to test and figure out things that are unknown. Experience gives you the ability to smell those from further away, and figure them out before starting the project.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice propersquid.

Thank you for the advice JA12.

Thank you for the advice polynut.

Thank you for the advice zeauro.

If you are young I would recommend college!
I wanted to draw comics from about 7 years of age (thanks to Joe Kubert, john Buscema) and by the time I was in the 11th grade I was drawing professionally for Comico® until I graduated in 1992. At that time comics were doing great and I never suspected that it was a ‘goldrush’ bubble sort of thing, and after graduating it didn’t make any sense to go to college.
Almost as soon as I started to make serious money the comics market imploded, but I was still able to get work and at the time didn’t realize that the comics industry was suddenly pretty much gone. During this time I was foolishly trying to get better at comic storytelling etc, not comprehending that it was a complete waste of time, as there is barely interest, similar to old time radio actors, or retro 2D Flash games developers.

I learned 3D during this often unemployed time initially wanting to use it for comics but after a while I did start to realize that comics were toast, like in 2009 some 20 years after the crash I finally sort of fully realized, but hey 3D seemed like a cool job!
I think that there is such a high volume of artists that I was never able to get a job in 3d.

Right now I am almost unhirable, for 4 years I lived in a cabin in the woods 30 miles from town with no car, and now I live 15 miles from town and I am surprised I can still render or model anything!
Thankfully I just saw a job opening down the block to help build marijuana greenhouse sheds, so I’m going to do that for a while which I will later hopefully consider similar to the point where Tesla had to dig ditches after his initial success, or this could be my ultimate turning point with injury, skin cancer, pesticides etc. It’s practically a miracle this greenhouse job, because I don’t have the energy to bike 30 miles a day for some crappy burger washing job. Right now I help design parties, and get random art jobs, but I need to get a truck and I do not want to wind up bike 900 miles on top of the hamburger flipping.

I think I understand the extra facets that one needs for success in arts, and I lack an interest in many of the additional skills needed, physically meeting thousands of people face to face, etc… or perhaps I am just thoroughly pessimistic as all these structures seem very unstable.

I still like 3D but I have noticed I am prone to quickly learn every new unnecessary aspect. Just 2 days ago I created models from MRI scan slice greyscale ‘density’ data that I manually selected slice by slice, brain, skull, fatty tissue, skin, for a prospective local-ish job, a rare instance where they responded to my initial application. I ultimately realized it was too grisly to put into my portfolio, and I didn’t even bother trying to retopologize the horrific headscan cutaway mess.

I recently had a local ‘goofy commercial’ car dealership low level salesman sort of explode on me through a series of stress induced emails over my unsolicited animation inquiry … College adds another level up with better everyday sorts of jobs, it filters out many of the ex-convicts, and riff-raff! I live 15 miles from basically the bay area, which is right where half the people in here would probably wish to be, it’s seems pretty crazy I can’t get a job!

This is only how I am losing interest in 3D, but perhaps you focused on one aspect as is suggested and are plateauing? Like if you focused on modelling and texturing but no animation, it would have an effect. In that instance tutorials should provide gasoline to invigorate added enthusiasm towards it all.

https://the3dcgfxcompany.blogspot.com/
my animations

2 Likes

Perhaps computer graphics is not your calling, nothing wrong with that I feel you need to be passionate about art if you wish to succeed at it proffessionaly perhaps your skilllset is in a different area , perhaps coding is your thing or perhaps not… try as many things as you can and when you hit open that one thing that feels right you will know

1 Like

I am not going to go into full detail over my own past but got some insight I think.

I have been a 3D artist for over 20 years, starting WAY back in 1994 with one of the first PowerMac models and a basic 3D program called LogoMotion. Fast forward a few years and Blender appears on the scene. I have used Maya and Lightwave too but Blender has been my go to app for over 15 years now.

Many years ago I was involved with the Blender to Renderman project, this was long before Pixar had picked up the Blender to Renderman addon… anyways, for years as a community we had tried to make this dream of using Renderman in Blender, I myself spent thousands of hours devoted to this project. In the end I gave up on a career in the industry (again this was before Pixar got their hands in development), I lost interest in 3D for some time and spent a couple years trying to develop a business that never took off. I tried and it failed so I moved on.

Yet here I am still doing 3D art. Not making money off of it, nor do I have a career like I wanted but I am still doing this out of the love of doing it. That is my thing, it keeps me busy. In some ways it keeps me sane lol.

Take a break from it, do something else for a little bit. If 3D really is your thing and your passion you will go back to it. If it is not then, it is not.

2 Likes

Not sure it is a working approach. It could create pressure: If you dont go back, it was never your true passion?

Rather, wouldnt it be an idea to practice to relax?

What drives me is that I have something in my head that I want to bring into reality. It’s that process of having an idea that does not exist in the world, making it come to life, that is very fascinating for me. Or maybe just a new approach. New technique. Something novel. It is very satisfying seein it happen.

I tried doing the 9 to 5 programming job and there was zero creativity allowed. It was very stressful and draining.

Being a technical artist would fit my personality perfectly. Since I was 15 I have been doing computer graphics programming on and off (and still suck at it). Now, the real difficulty is where does the money come from? :sweat_smile:

The harsh truth seems to be that in order to get paid normal wages, you have to be world class. Where as (for example) if you were a programmer for a startup that did software for a bank and did networking, could very rapidly increase your income.

I think there are two things: what kind of work fits you the best, and what kind of work can you make most money with. I doubt any single person in this planet has solved this completely.

2 Likes

my problem isn’t that i am not interested in doing CG anymore. my problem is that i can’t stand sitting in front of a computer all day anymore. i really have the urge to do some manual labor. working on a construction site or something. :joy:

1 Like

CG is very exacting, time-consuming work that may or may not be “your thing.” And, even if it is right now, your interests may change. It’s okay. There’s a fun job for anyone at any point in their life, but maybe this one isn’t the one for you [anymore, now].

1 Like

I’m also trying for this graveyard shift machinist job, I’m noting I’m a nightowl and I also can precision model in Blender which can export .dxf to autocad :smiley:

Morgan Hill is a little farther than Gilroy, but it’s downhill on the bike ride back which I sort of enjoy, although my brother said a crazy guy jumped out of a bush at him once along there.

1 Like