Need help animating a roller shutter

Hi guys,

I’m trying to animate a roller shutter, which consists of an array of shutter segments that I want to follow a path (without deforming) when the door opens and closes. It’s such a simple everyday object but I can’t find a guide on how to make them anywhere.

hmmm, if you can use a bezier curve to define the direction of motion, but make it not affect the actual physical shutterparts dimensions… im not sure i haven’t done anything like that…

That gives me an idea. I don’t know if this would be possible but I can’t see why it wouldn’t be. Just giotta find out how.

Make the path, make an empty, parent the roller array to the empty and apply some kind of physics to the array so they hang down with gravity until the empty gets pulled along the path.

Unfortunately I know less about Blender physics than Blender curves

What I’m looking for is exactly the same principle as animating tank tracks come to think of it, just with a different shape track.

Here’s one way of doing it using an array modifier + a combination curve modifier / path constraint. Should work in both 2.5 and 2.49

Attachments

roller_door.blend (382 KB)

Hello Pappy,

Thank you, that’s awesome, just what I need! :smiley: I can’t for the life of me figure out how you did it though. Would you mind writing how you did it step-by-step? I really need to learn this.

I see… you’ve used a constraint to follow path. I’m off to have a play around :cool: