Need help exporting mesh and UV textues please

Hi all. I haven’t done much exporting, but I am now on a project for my Son. My main problem is that I’m so short on time right now, and really want to do this for him, he’s such a wonderful angel.

He wanted a world he can walk around in. Now, even though I know I could do that in Blender, I knew the best place to build what he really wanted was in Active Worlds (a 3d build and chat program that’s been around a while)

So, I renewed a world I had there a few years ago, (hey, that’s how I found blender, LOL) and am now modeling the buildings, etc… for his world. But my problem is, is that there isn’t a better place for me to texture the buildings, etc… than in Blender.

Now, Accutrans will convert all the information I need from many file formats, and export them into renderware, the file format that AW uses. so I have a selection of file formats to export to from Blender.

Can anyone recommend an export script that’s easiest to use, and will export mesh and uv textures? Here is a quick list of file formats I can convert from:

.rwx, Renderware (hey, a direct export, wouldn’t that be nice, LOL)
.cob, TrueSpace
.3ds, 3d studio
.obj, Wavefront
.dxf, AutoCAD files, (if someone has written a script that exports the textures as well, that would be great)
It isn’t reading the .wrl export from Blender, if you know why? please help, also, does blender export textures to .wrl?

Heck, it doesn’t have to be that easy to use, I really need to be able to do this quickly, or I’ll have to resort to texturing that will look less than acceptable for his buildings (real bummer, don’t want to go there)

Any help would be appreciated. I have to resort to asking for your knowlege because I really don’t have time to do the research. I’m modeling every chance I get. I profusely thank you for any help at all (even the bad news! It still saved me hopeless time, thanks!)

Love Ingie

Try using the OBJIO script, it can outputs OBJ files and it preserves UV mapping: http://www.ualberta.ca/~cwant/blender/temp/OBJIO_wings_fix.py

cheers,

Martin

Hmm… I answered your cross-post in Q&A… My suggestion was the same as theeth’s. Only diff is I gave you a link to the original, non-wings version. The difference should be microscopic.

Ok, I’ll try both, thanks to both of you. I havent’ used wings much (for shame!) but it’s time I check it out, no? Thanks again both of you!

Love INgie

Insert: Man, I’ve never been to Hos’s web page before! How did I miss that? Cool, fun, and he seems a funny and geeky (said lovingly) as my Husband was back when he was a youngen, LOL

cute! Ingie