Need Help For Rubik's Cube Animation

Hi friends,

I am new in blender. I want to create a “Rubiks Cube” Animation. I competed my modeling part. My "Rubiks cube " contains 27 small individual cubes [ 9 each of 3 rows]. How can I rotate the cubes. ie, at one instance i have to rotate the upper 9 small cubes in clockwise or anticlockwise and another instance the 9 from bottom… How can i animate this. i am trying with empty object and set parent. But wont work in this case. Any Idea…

The following images are for ur reference, not my creation.
Thanks in advance.

http://www.math.cornell.edu/%7Emec/Winter2009/Lipa/Puzzles/pics/rubiks-cube.jpg

What you described should work so I don’t know what you’re missing.

Another way to do it would be to make the rows into single objects…that way you only have 3 objects instead of 27.

If you keep all the objects ( Pink dot) in the exact center of the cubes and get the cubes aligned perfect. just select 9 cubes and rotate. I think I would try parenting all to the center cube. and parent the center to a bone outside.

To: RobCozzens,

In the sense of single objects( each single cube) it works. But it take long time when we animate each of this 27 cubes. If we make the 9 cubes to single object (Ctrl+j) we can rotate only that face to clockwise and anti clockwise. and i want rotate the right face too. that face contains the three face from upper face.

Also the problem with grouping i faced is when i group all the upper cubes, when i insert key frame and try rotate upper face, only one single cube is rotate.

following is a animated gif i got from net. please not the movements.

OR

I am Just A Beginner In Blender

I did this exact same thing a while back. You gotta animate each one bud. Oh and it’s 26 cubes, not 27; there’s no center cube. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Just select all 9 of the cubes on the face you want to turn, and rotate them as one, then just hit i->LocRotScale.

Thanks Friend. Got It.
Instead of “LocRotScale” I Use “LocRot”. Now it is cleared.

Thanks to all.

You could just use Gabio’s rig.
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54588&highlight=rubik

Why re-invent the wheel (I mean cube)?

If you don’t parent them to a center or something ,what will you do when you move them all, like a boy caring it. Bud ?