Need help modeling a Lightsaber

Can anybody help me with a blender modeling a lightsaber i’m still a noob to this software i have a image of lightsaber I want to make but i can’t quite model it right tho can anybody help
o and i’m new to this forum too.

you can do most of it just using the commands: extrude ( e ) grab ( g ) and scale ( s ).

Welcome to BA.

How about showing us what you have so far.

here it is

here it is [ATTACH=CONFIG]262882[/ATTACH] sorry is i repost it again

Well it’s a start,you might want to look for more reference images since the one you posted doesn’t look like any familiar ones.Qui Gon Jinn’s lightsaber might be the best since it looks to be the easiest to model.

The web site i got it from is Wookieepeda the sith first working lightsaber http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_lightsaber

It looks like you started with a cylinder, while that’s the logical place to start to a beginner and when I was a beginner in 3D I would have done the same, but IMHO the majority of the shape could be done using a curve.

Have you tried using a curve?

I would actually suggest using multiple cylinders and disks instead of trying to make it all one mesh. no need to get all complicated when you can toss a few primitives together.

If you want it detailed and polygon count doesn’t matter, subdivision polygon modeling would be suitable.
Here’s one way to look at things and start modeling. First thing to do is to get as plenty of reference images as you need, like others suggested, and examine those carefully.

A lightsaber is a mechanical item, consisting of many separate parts. It would make modeling easier and would produce better looking result if there were that division in the model too.
Two ways you could do that: either use separate objects or just use unconnected geometry. Those are not exclusive either, you can join separate objects together by selecting and pressing ctrl+J. You can separate part of the geometry to its own object (in edit mode) by selecting the part and press P.

I used the reference you provided to make these examples:

(Edit: looks like I added subdivision surface modifier earlier than what I wrote, so the screenshot is a bit misleading on that head part. What is shown is the modifier result.)

From left:

• I started by adding a mesh circle, 16 vertices (bottom of the tool shelf or press F6 after adding). Subdivision surface modifier that will be added later on will increase that significantly, so you don’t have to

• Edit mode, extrude along Z (E, Z)

• There’s a dark round spot which might be a hole so I’ll make one: adding 3 loop cuts with ctrl+R

• Face select mode (ctrl+tab), selected 4 faces and inset (hotkey i) those to get faces where the hole will be, and a face loop around it

• Next to better even out the faces around the hole I selected 2 vertices around the hole vertical axis, which can be scaled along Z (S, Z) and moved apart that way. Those vertices that are around the hole on a horizontal axis can’t be scaled along X because that would destroy the circular form, so I moved them quickly one by one by selecting and then pressing GG to get vertex slide. Then deleted the 4 middle faces to make the actual hole

• What next. Perhaps the head piece. I added another circle, edit mode, extrude

• Added a loop cut in the middle and scaled it along X and Y (S, shift+Z)

• Next, I selected the top edge loop with alt+(shift+)right mouse, extruded that up

• and scaled in to get the taper

• Then in front view still, I used shear tool along view Y axis (ctrl+alt+shift+S, Y) to get the edge angle without destroying the circular form when viewed on top

• Next I added extra loop cuts near every edge loop to sharpen the edges. When adding loop cuts, it’s a multistep process and the step before accepting is slide (can also edge slide with GG). One of the options is “even” which is enabled with E and switch the direction with F, and with those you get the perimeter loops even with the edges you’re moving them against.

• I then added a subdivision surface modifier with level 2 (ctrl+2) and enabled smooth shading (object mode, tool shelf -> shading -> smooth)

Example on how to start making the handle. Not going in as much detail on this, it’s a repetitive process.
From bottom left:

• Making a profile for the handle. Started with a mesh circle with 12 vertices and filled with an ngon face
  • 12 vertices was a nice number to eyeball 6 grooves in it. I then subdivided the whole thing with W -> subdivide, which subdivides the edges (when subdividing an ngon, you get an ngon). I then rounded it with alt+shift+S, 1.
  • I then selected every 4th vertex by selecting all and select menu -> checker deselect. Then beveled those vertices with ctrl+shift+B. Then inset those and removed edges and faces to get the profile
  • Extruded to length. Put the object origin to the new geometry in object mode by pressing ctrl+alt+shift+C -> origin to geometry (also origin button on the tool shelf)
  • Edit mode, added a loop cut in the middle. That middle edge loop still selected, I separated that edge by placing the mouse curson on the bottom part and pressed V to rip. Then ctrl+L to select linked and X -> vertices to delete.
  • Added a mirror modifier, enabled it along Z axis and enabled clipping option

The rest includes similar steps to those already mentioned. Here’s the .blend
lightsaber_start_ja12.blend (785 KB)

You look like you are doing ok so far. Put loop cuts across your cylinder where you need to add things: select rings of faces, extrude them and scale them up along the x and y axes (s+shift+z) to make the larger rings. Add things like a torus to make the clip on holder, or other scaled down cylinders for the buttons. Always remember, you are not building a lightsaber, you are building an IMAGE of a lightsaber, so if it looks good, go with it. There is no ‘cheating’ in CG. It’s ALL cheating…

Thank you @JA12 for the help i been waiting for a while now, but i appreciate the help guys.

JA12 how did you make the hole up top and lightsaber hilt that cause i 'm still a noob too this software most of this stuff is new to me wish you guys had a google hangout or something like a tutorial to make thing easier.

I already explained the steps and why the result is different than what you actually model. It’s the subdivision surface modifier that makes much more geometry and rounds everything. http://vimeo.com/2450612

Here are the steps again

From left: starting point, loop cuts, select faces, inset, move vertices along Z, move vertices with vertex slide, select and delete middle faces, done.

This.
Make it simple, separate parts if you dont have a reason to do hard way.

How would the method I suggested be “all complicated”?

Your way:

Add a cylinder, reshape each individual cylinder, repeat for every single piece.

My way:

Use a curve as profile, then separate into individual parts, done.

ok guys what do you think about this been trying all day and night on this i’m still a noob tho.

lightsaber 2.blend (776 KB)

Its about ok, remember to remove doubles of all meshes everytime.
Is it nicer to model with separate meshes ?
When you do have more experience, you know very quickly modeling methods; what parts can be separate and what not, do you use curves etc.

I’m still a noob TynkaTopi i don’t know how to use Curves ?.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Modeling/Curves

3 curves, 2 for walls, 1 for bevel (shape of the walls). No mesh used.

Attachments