Need help modelling pt 5

Hey, all!

I would like someone to break down the steps for me of how I could make the insets in these pillars:

If I haven’t been clear enough, in the photo above I’d like to make these indentations into the pillars.

What would be the best way to make it?

-Jai

Could you make some tall cylinders and select the edges around the circular bit and bevel them?

Hi,
-I started from cylinder, removed top and bottom, selected every other and scaled them down (scale only in X and Y by hit S to scale and then SHIFT+Z to remove Z axis from scaling so it will remain flat)

-Then I bevel it.

-select the outside (you can select first and second and then pres CTRL+SHIFT+PLUS on num pad so the selection will repeat) and bevel again

-Then just select the top vertexes and move them up to desired height scale a little as the top is smaller then the bottom. Use another object for top and bottom or as I did extrude it and use LoopTools > make circle.

Oh and if you scaling the cylinder, don’t forget to CTRL+A and apply all, or at least scale and rotation before bevel, bevel make different output with scaled objects.