Need help with building PC for 3D modeling, animations and game development

Hi there, I’m building a new PC that I intend to use professionally for 3D modeling, animations and game development. Softwares that I will mainly use are Blender, Lumion and Unreal Engine. I’m usually making architectural visualisations that include a block of buildings, parking with cars, trees, grass, people, and similar, where I will fly around and show the building and area around it. So the scenes could get quiet big.

I would like to get a build that will allow me to have no lag in blender while working on it as well as a good or at least decent render time. My budget is around 1800-1900 euros.

I’ve been looking at the next guide and got the idea for my build:

But I’ll be buying from my local PC Shop and we got to the next build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz 12-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: I didn’t chose this, since I thought to let the guy at shop chose the appropriate one

Motherboard: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 VENTUS GP PCIE or COLORFUL GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 SUPER Advanced

Memory: 64GB (4 x 16GB) G.Skill 16GB Aegis DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 CL16 or 64GB (1x64GB) HyperX 64GB Predator DDR4 2666MHz CL13 HX426C13PB3K4/64

SSD: WD 500GB Blue M.2 SATA M.2 2280 WDS500G2B0B

HDD: WD Blue 2TB 3.5’’ 54rpm 64MB SATA3 WD20EZRZ

Power Supply: Riotoro ENIGMA G2 650W 80 GOLD

Case: Redsky Rampage

I have a few questions about this build and I hope some of you will be able to answer them.

1. While reading the article on cgdirector he said that it’s better to buy the full amount in one kit instead of separately. So is it better to buy 1x64GB instead of 4x16GB?
  2. Do you think that 64GB is overkill and that I should go with 32GB? I went with 64GB just to be sure that I have enough for every situation I might find myself into, and since it can fit into my budget I think it’s not a problem to buy it.
    3.Also when it comes to RAM, the 1x64GB kit is CL13 while the one I listed above is CL16, and on cgtrader they said " The lower the CL and higher the Clock Speed, the better. ". So which one should I go?
  3. Which graphics card should I chose from the two above? The second one is a bit more expensive than the first one but by looking at the info there is not much difference between them(for a layman like me).
  4. Are these graphics cards and processor good with Blender or there are some better within the same budget?
  5. Which mouse and keyboard would you recommend?
  6. In general, what are your thoughts about this? Do you have some better recommendation and will this be good for Blender and Unreal in general?

When it comes to SSD and HDD, I’m planning to use SSD for OS and project files on which I’m currently working, and HDD would be for backup and library.

I’m sorry for asking so many questions, but I’ve been saving money for a few years now in order to buy this PC so I’d like to do everything right and not make a mistake like I did last time when I was buying a laptop and when I brought it home I couldn’t do half of the things that I’ve wanted to do with it :sweat_smile:

Edit: I don’t need monitor. Only case, mouse and keyboard, although most of the budget is in case and what’s in it.

1 - I’d go for the 4x16. there are some throughput increases in having multiple sticks with dual channel ram

2 - 64 is a safe amount, certainly not unreasonable, but if the budget is hurting, then you could try 2x16gb, and then later add in another 2x16

3 - go for the 2070 super, that is a faster card.

4 - both cpu and gpu look good

5 - super personal, it’s up to you. I am a big fan of logitech, you can get a quality product without it looking like a rave. I use the mx ergo trackball and a k120 and a k360 keyboard in different contexts. Any of the MX series mice that have a metal scroll wheel are total gamechangers, fast scroll is super handy for a lot of tasks.

6 - I’ve never heard of riotoro, and I’m not a big fan of skimping on the power supply. I know the PSU isn’t the sexiest component, but I have seen faulty power supplies fry entire systems. Not worth gambling on that, IMO. Also, consider building it yourself, or at least look into it. Watch some youtube videos on building a system to get familiar with it. run the price on these components in newegg or amazon and see how much money the base components cost, then subtract that from what the shop is charging you to have a sense of what the markup the shop is charging you. Building a PC is fun! worth trying at least.

Overall, looks like a good system, I say go for it!

1 Like

Hi, I agree with SterlingRoth totally,
go for 2070 super it has chip from 2080 regular .
If you do architecture it’s good idea to bought 64GB of ram (4x16), I have 32GB, and I managed to fill it up with archviz pretty easly, especially if you do some high res renderings.
In terms of latency lower is better, but frequency is even more important for Ryzen.
I suggest to go with 3200Mhz CL14.
It’s nice and reasonable rig overall. Good luck!

1. I see, I’ll go with 4x16 in that case.

2. That’s a good idea. I’ll consider buying 2x16gb and then add another if budget starts hurting, but right now with this build it’s withing the budget.

3. Okay, I’ll take 2070 super then.

4. That’s good to know :smiley:

5. I find the logitech k120 really nice but I’m not sure if I should use membrane keyboard or mechanical one. It’s mostly because of game development and anti-ghosting. Logitech k120 costs 20 euros in my local shop and Marvo Scorpion KG909 costs 27 euros and it would be more suitable for game development, but the con is a lot of rgb which I don’t like :sweat_smile: . But I’ll give this more thought and decide.

6. I see. I’ll try to get another one. I left power supply to the shop owner to decide thinking that he would know what’s the best one for this build. I checked on his site and at least by price it’s seems it’s not budget one, compared to others, as it costs 130 euros. But I’ll look into this as well since I don’t won’t it to fry something. I’ve been comparing prices on the internet and the ones in the shop and in the shop are more expensive by a certain margin, but since I’m from a country that’s not in EU we get extra taxes for importing so if I was to order them from the internet it would probably get even more expensive when we include taxes and shipment. And overall all the shops have the same prices as the one I’m buying from.

Thank you for your reply. It is really helpful and makes me more confident in buying this :smiley:

I’ll go with 2070 super.

I see, that’s good to know. I was a bit afraid that 64GB might be overkill, but since you said it I’ll go with 64GB since it’s withing budget :smiley: .

I see. I searched for 3200Mhz CL14 and the price is more expensive. Around 200 euros per 1x16GB, whereas the 3200MhZ CL 16 that I have listed now is 80 euros. So I would go over the budget with this one, even with 32GB :confused: . So I guess I’ll have to stick with the current one. I’ll search the internet and try to find some benchmarks with different ram and see which one performs the best with this processor and see if there’s something better.

Thank you for your reply as well. Same like with SterlingRoth, you’ve cleared some doubts that I had :smiley: . Good luck to you as well! :smiley:

Here is nice benchmark for memory from GamersNexus… It looks like 3200CL14 is similar to 3600CL16, so check it out and consider 32GB for now, then upgrade.
I am still working on 32GB and until I have to do some 4K + renders with lots of samples its ok.
It depends how big is your scene and how you manage your materials, instances etc.
Lately I did housing exterior and interior archviz of 7 building in one scene with pretty complex vegetation and I had some problems but finally I handled it by wise material usage , tweaking samples and instances. So in most cases you probably will be fine… I would choose fast 32GB now becouse if you will go slower 64GB you will not change it in near future.