Need help with lighting my lightbulb..how do I fill the bulb itself with light?

Im trying to create a realistic lightbulb for an archviz project.
This is what I got so far

I put a shader on the filament, (blackbody>emission> material output) to create the light effect.
However, i want the bulb to be glowing a lot more, as if the bulb is filled with the light that is coming from the filament.

Something more like this

So you can barely see the filament, but you can still see the glass of the bulb and the way’s its filled with the light

So how do i create this? So it has more glow and the glass is intereacting more with the light?

your going to need to use the compositor to do this
i believe androw price have made something like that in blender guru
but yeah without compositor your not going to have this effect

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, i found Guru’s tutorial on this so I will try this!

1 Like

Please edit your post to include a hyperlink to “Guru’s tutorial on this.” Always helps.

You need imperfections in the glass (dust, scratches, or mix in some roughness), the light will get caught in them and reflected to the camera.
And as already mentioned, for the bloom/light streaks effect you can use the compositor.

2 Likes

Well, that might well be one way, based on mimicing “what actually occurs in real life,” but sometimes a more pragmatic solution can be better achieved by breaking down the total effect into individual pieces, then composite them together. Here you are not attempting “literal-ness,” but “plausibility.”

Here’s an interesting StackExchange article on the subject:

Step 1: Read up on Anamorphic lensing. To understand what it is and why it results in lens flares. Also reading up on aperture and bokeh and why/how an aperture of certain shape and size causes certain kind of bokeh wouldn’t hurt either. Overall a better understanding of photography(and how a camera works) will ultimately help you a great deal with making better looking renders.

Step 2: decide whether to emulate the effect through compositor or model a physical lens to render through. Later option would likely give more physically correct results but would also be a lot more technically complex as a solution and take a whole lot longer to render.

Now if only I found that thread again where someone was actually experimenting with modeling actual lenses and rendering through them…

One more thing: when evaluating “reference photos,” bear in mind the inevitable presence of post-processing and photographic “tricks.”

For example, a real-world photographer would achieve the “star effect” using a filter in front of the lens. The “glow against a backdrop” is not symmetrical and very well could have been airbrushed in. The rim-light around the edge of the bulb does not extend equally nor uniformly around the edge of the glass.

I’m kinda amused by the popular term, "photo realistic," because professional photographs … aren’t. (“Realistic” is not “dramatic.” “Realistic” doesn’t sell Almighty Products.™)

Hey, late reply but someone may look for this, as of this topic is high in google for some queries.
I’ve managed to get the ‘light in glass’ effect. You have to get ‘just a tiny bit’ of glass roughness.
The roughness causes light to scatter inside glass (and reflect back and forth inside it) causing the whole material (or the area it’s surrounding, like air in glass) to glow.
First image is no roughness at all.
Second one is with a bit.
Third one is with twice a bit.
Fourth one is with more than a bit, but still not enough to make it ‘milky’.

1 Like

Thanks, a bit late but still helpfull :slight_smile:

I think this one is pretty decent, but it comes with a price (don’t they always :wink:).
I had to use volume scatter which makes the scene a bit grainy and denoising made the bulb look very strange inside, so I decided leave it out.

Here’s the blend for 2.79

hehkulamppu.blend (1.0 MB)