Need help with topology

It’s the same model I was working on, can anyone help me with the topology, I find this topic extreamly confusing when it comes to modeling. Here’s the file http://www.air-internet.com/~awalker/models/women_r.zip

HELLO ! I’m sure there’s a few that can give out some advice or pointers.

hmmmm

you have an awful lot of verts. you’ve made a pretty valiant effort, i must admit, but it seems to have gone a bit wack. your edgeloops dont seem to last for very long, and dont… “loop” as such. my advice, (when starting from scratch) is to build the edge looped areas seperatley first, then just extrude and join them where they touch. you also have to keep similar vert numbers in mind.

The best way by far to learn facial topology is to follow a tutorial - or a few - right through and see where they put their loops and how they make them travel that way. It is a good idea to have your topology looking good as early as possible, before adding more and more polys to make the details.

For practice, you could make simple cartoon characters from a box or sphere and concentrate on the eyes and mouth making sure your topology is correct (and different people have different ideas about that too). Until you understand the purpose of these loops it will be difficult to accurately create them.

Your model already has a lot of polys/faces so it will be quite a complex job fixing it. According to what appears to be popular opinion, you should have a set of loops going from the nose area, around the mouth and under the chin. This makes it easy to create the cheek creases (laugh lines). Within this area you would then have a series of loops creating the mouth, which you pretty much have already.

I’ve never modelled a human body so I’ve never really considered the loop profiles or looked at tutorials about them but the same theory should apply, make the loops follow logical topology of the real human body, especially around crease areas like the tops of the thighs down into the groin.

All in all you’ve made a decent looking model and if you’re not planning to animate it then it probably doesn’t much matter about how you make it. One comment I will make is that the head looks very small compared to the body.

Is it a mistake to start out with a model with very little tone and figures or did I forcuse too much on the detail instead of the over all basic form ?

I think you probably went a little too into the details, by viewing your blend.

I’m trying to upload a changed version for you to look at, hopefully it will give you some ideas :slight_smile:

Ok thanks, I see if I can start a new one and hopefully a few can help me out this time.

WOMAN.BLEND

i hope that works :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s causing blender to crash for some reason.

Al, I’ve had a quick look at your blend file.

One thing which jumps to my eyes are that you have got an awful lot of detail, but not payed much attention to correct topology, however it is an admiral start to modelling! :wink:

Re- facial modelling, I find that this is the best guide to proper topology:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21066 by our very own Torq!

Use this to make a correct topology face, then mold to fit your referance images. (At least thats how I am working)

I believe a similar approach could be taken with modelling the rest of the figure, work out what edge loops are needed, and where they should go. “Draw” the edge loops in by extruding a single vertex, then extrude faces from the edge loops.

Seems a bit more logical this method rather than trying to cut edge loops into a box as in box modelling technique.

What reference material are you using for correct proportion?

Try this if you are looking for one (From Andrew Loomis’ Figure Drawing for All it’s Worth): (nudity!)

http://d538518.u320.bigcrawler.com/FigureDrawing/27.htm

I cannot say I am an expert in organic modelling, or topology, as I am still learning myself, but perhaps we can share ideas and learn together!

:smiley:

regards

Brian

do you have the latest 2.4 a2 build?

No, got 2.37a

I like to be surprise :smiley:

It doesn’t open with the latest one either.