Need information about walkthrough

Hello Everyone,

I’ve decided to post this question here, as I am totally stumped. I work for FKI Logistex, designing and visualizing conveyor systems for airports (more fun than it sounds). My problem derives from trying to get my employer to fully grasp 3D and it’s benifits to the sales department. I’d say we are 2.5 D now, 3D only being used for engineering stuff, I’m trying to get them to use 3D as more of a sales tool than we are currently, and they are open to it and have asked me to put together a presentation on what’s possible and how it can help us. The traditional 3D and animations aren’t a problem, I can do those with little problem, but I am trying to institute a change to improve walkthroughs (currently Navisworks, ugly stuff). Think, “first person shooter” without the gun. What I need is to hear your thoughts on it. I am going to use models from ACAD, import as .dxf and carry on from there. I have tried to use Blender to do this but it seems that the game engine doesn’t like such heavy scenes (am I mistaken in this? Am I missing something?). Any ideas? I am willing to try anything, and expect the solution to be within the games industry, but have real desire to keep the price down (rather spend heavy on HW), and to that end I have been looking at open source, to no avail. I’m very interested in hearing what you think. Oh, one other point, I really want it to be able to be packed as an executable so I can just send a disc out; no muss, no fuss.

Thanks in advance to all who answer, any information will be helpful, I’m sure.

Take care all and have a good day/night.

David

there’s not much to say, when you exceed 20,000 verts the Game Engine slows down REALY much. so for that matter huge scene’s aren’t realy the blender game engine’s things.

If you have the time you can wait for the OGRE plug-in which will allow you much more and even get you nice scene’s.

else you can just download the opensource game engine from ogre and figure some stuff out using a search engine.

Sincerely,
Jacco;

I’m in a similar position, durbdk, though as an architect trying to “sell” the idea that 3D is more than just a tool for Pixar to make movies.

jacco’s got it right: verts in the GE kill ya. Solution? I’m guessing you really only have a few key objects to model, such as a belt, a trough, shute, and some luggage (or people? whatever.) Anyway, what you could do is model the key components you’re trying to show off, all UV mapped with baked textures and low poly counts, and the rest is all skybox. You can also use Radiosity (check out this thread).

As for importing .dxf, there have been countless posts on that topic. Search “architecture” and you’ll find a good chunk of them. (don’t search .dxf, the stupid search function will say its too short. duh, I hate that. you can also google within this domain, tho.) There’s also been an intersting direction taken by N3ON, with .svg file imports (Inkscape is your search word there). In any case, importing 3D .dxf’s is super buggy, period. 2D is passable with some work on the ACAD side (I do it a lot). And for what its worth, if you haven’t already, make sure to remove doubles on any imported meshes. Good luck has been had (but not by me) with the 3DSout command from ACAD, but HAH its been taken out of version 2007.

Sorry if you already know all this stuff, but ya never know who knows what in forum-land.

I could type for another hour, but my son’s awake and I gotta go feed him.:smiley:

It’s easy to make a walkthrough with Blender, and if you’re looking for “first person shooter without the gun” there are a couple of “mouse-look” scripts available to use. The best I’ve seen so far was written by scabootssca. I tried to hunt up the original thread, but couldn’t find it. Here’s a thread that contains that script and one other.

In the gaming industry “low-poly modelling” is a standard. You can’t use the same models that you use for rendering or production to make a game, because they will most likely be too complex. Everyone seems to have a different number to share about how many polygons your scene can have, but the numbers are always below 50,000, usually below 30,000.

OGRE would help with game speed. You can find recent updates on the integration here. They’re the ones called “echo-bin”. Tests have been done using the “echo” system that have shown good performance and 60,000 polygons and higher (with realtime lighting on all faces).

As for packing an executable, I believe you would prefer a different distribution solution, as this is a commercial endeavor. Executables made with Blender inherit the GPL license and become freely distributable. I have written an in-depth article on publishing games made with Blender (well, I haven’t finished writing section 4 yet, but as it stands it is a pretty complete resource).

Thanks guys, you confirmed everything I suspected, now to check into Ogre (even though I don’t know C+).

Eku,

Yeah, you’r right, there are mainly a few VERY high polygon pieces of equipment that need to have low poly stand ins made, just hard to do and keep the technical accuracy (don’t want my inductions and vertical sorters looking squared and blocky). Good idea with the skybox, unfortunately all my work is within the building, so no opertunity to use that idea.

Blendenzo,

WOW! Thanks for making realize that the final product ould also be under the GPL, I totally didn’t think of that; guess I’m better with verts and polys than law and copyrights. I’m reading you article now! Thanks for the link to the Ogre info.

Well, guess I was right in thinking I need another solution, time to go back and research more software and get my models low-poly’d. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Thanks guys, you confirmed everything I suspected, now to check into Ogre (even though I don’t know C+).

Eku,

Yeah, you’r right, there are mainly a few VERY high polygon pieces of equipment that need to have low poly stand ins made, just hard to do and keep the technical accuracy (don’t want my inductions and vertical sorters looking squared and blocky). Good idea with the skybox, unfortunately all my work is within the building, so no opertunity to use that idea.

Blendenzo,

WOW! Thanks for making realize that the final product ould also be under the GPL, I totally didn’t think of that; guess I’m better with verts and polys than law and copyrights. I’m reading you article now! Thanks for the link to the Ogre info.

Well, guess I was right in thinking I need another solution, time to go back and research more software and get my models low-poly’d. Thanks for taking the time to answer.