Need newer version of FBX import/export

I am running Blender 2.74, and I am not really ready to update Blender to version 2.77, as I would rather wait until Blender 2.8 comes out. However, when using Blender 2.74, I have tried to import an FBX file that was exported with the default settings from Maya 2016 several times, and doing so, causes Blender to freeze my computer. I then went back to Maya, selected FBX 2013 from the drop-down list, and the file opens perfectly. So apparently, it appears that I am only able to export Maya FBX format as version 2013. Is there a newer plug-in for Blender, or do I need to update Blender itself in order to be able to import Maya FBX files into Blender?

I often find Blender won’t read fbx files from Maya so I just export them as obj from Maya. Seems to be much more dependable.

That’s why I exported a fbx character+rig from Blender, and when I imported into Maya, all have become a complete mess?
There’s no connections between autodesk~Blender besides the .obj meshes?

(Sorry for ressurect this topic, but I prefered to do this then open a new one for a silly question)

you are using a severely outdated Version of Blender,
update it and you will have less struggles.

While you are correct, Thenewone, the OP would be better served updating, even the latest [official] release has problems importing fbx files.

you are using a severely outdated Version of Blender, update it and you will have less struggles.

I’m actually using the last version of Blender, but i’m gonna try this addon.