Need some help with Gmax...

How do you edit bones once they are placed? 3DS has a bone edit mode that is similar to putting an armature into edit mode in Blender, but I can’t seem to find an equivalent in Gmax. (Unless they expect you to place your bones perfectly the first time…)

Hello?

ten character limit.

You just have to rotate and scale the bones just right. I don’t think there IS a way to reposition them like in blender. I never liked GMax anyways.

I’ve never just Gmax (and Gmax hasn’t been developed or supported by Autodesk for many years now), but in 3ds max there are a tool called Bone tools, which can be used for manipulating bones, maybe Gmax have the same tool… In 3ds Max it can be found under animation-> Bone tools…

Dose GMax have Biped? If so, use that, it’s a pre built rig that you can customise. I think it’s in create >system. You then use a physique modifier to parent the mesh. Otherwise, the bone tools menu is a good place to start.

I tried to use bone tools in 3DS to build the skeleton, but the bones export as mesh objects instead of bones. Even if Gmax did have biped, I don’t think it would work very well on a trebuchet model.:wink: Is there a way to get bones from 3DS Max into Gmax? That would be perfect right now, but I only have two weeks left in my trial version. This NEEDS to end up in Gmax one way or the other for what I’m using it for.

Scaling the bones isn’t an option either, as scaling one bone scales all bones ahead of it in the FK chain. Thanks for helping, so far no-one on the game modding forums has answered me. (They usually don’t build rigs, they just re-use other skeletons from the game.)

Can you import .FBX files into Gmax? That should keep the bones, as bones. . There are a couple of ways to export stuff as FBX from Max,IIRC, so you might want to check the options. And yes, biped’s useless for what you’re doing. :slight_smile:

The only formats you can import into Gmax by default are 3DS, PRJ, DXF, and SHP.

Ahh I installed gmax, it`s so many years I used it last time…

OK, enough , I perhaps know how to help you. In that side panel, the third tab is Hierarchy. There activate “Affect Pivot Only” button and manipulate bones as you wish…

THANK YOU! That is a huge help. I still can’t move the tip of a bone on the end of the chain, but that is absolutely minor compared to the problem I had before. Thanks again.

i did some of the exercises in the gmax bible a while ago ;what are you making again?

To move the tip of chain of bones, add a new one, move that and delete the last. That simple…

Wow, can’t believe I didn’t think of that. Thanks again!

@Edwin: I’m rigging a trebuchet model for a game mod for Battle for Middle Earth II called Special Extended Edition.

No problem, and it`s good to refresh memory from time to time…