Need sounds of birds, parkland, etc

I need a few sounds to provide a bit of background audio to a very short scene in a park. I particularly need birds tweeting. Can be a little cartoony sounding.

Any suggestions of free resources?

Check out The Freesound Project and you will find a ton of nice bird sounds (along with just about anything else you can think of).

Thanks Corsica. Unfortunately it seems to be a bit broken at the moment. It tells me it sent an activation email but I never received it. There were other free audio sources listed somewhere on these forums but I can’t find the thread so I guess I’ll churn through the search results (or Google).

I also needed sounds. Thanks

Okay, found some stuff here: http://www.findsounds.com/

bittorrent also has a lot of sound effects library cds, if you’re into that whole pirating thing. (personally, I don’t care - it’s occasionally very useful but I don’t download 100s of movies or anything) and they are much higher quality, although freesound.com has some good stuff too. andy try setting up a gmail acct and have them resend the confirmation email - or check your spam filter

Thanks Noderanger. There was a note on the freesounds front page that their server was undergoing maintenance so no more sounds could be uploaded at the moment. I assume it was also affecting sign-ups.

I don’t have a spam filter - but I do have a multi-million dollar deal going with a very nice man in Nigeria, plus I’ve promised quite a bit of the proceeds to some unfortunate people who’ve been rendered completely useless after using Nutra-Sweet in their coffee. I’ve been lucky enough to be able to update account details for bank accounts I don’t even have and am about to invest quite a bit of money in the US share market after I got some hot, (secret) tips! But I can’t get a freesounds account :frowning:

If Apple hadn’t decided that my computer require some sort of weird, ungettable, powered microphone to record sounds, I’d do them myself.

Well, hell, AndyD, once that Nigerian deal comes through, you can buy a sweet digital recording set up and hire somebody to go out and record sounds for you! :wink: Just don’t forget the little people here at BlenderArtists… I’ll ask our environmental club if they have anything like that in the works.

Do you have one of the machines without an audio input? They must have relented to pressure because the audio inputs are back in the new machines. That bugged me with my old machine although I had a USB headset with mic, which did the trick. For the non-input machines, you need one of these:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

Do you have the latest Garageband btw? It comes with a whole bunch of sound effects. I used some like cricket noises (the bug not the game) and crowd noises.

Yeah, I use Garageband 3 all the time for sound effects. It’s got a great range of choices, plus there’s really good editing in there so you can change the tone and all sorts of the sound if you’re not quite happy with it. If not, I would highly recommend iLife 6, as it’s got great features packed into it, that are so much better than the previous releases.

Don’t know of any free sound sites though.

Hope that helps.

Do you have one of the machines without an audio input? They must have relented to pressure because the audio inputs are back in the new machines.

Yep - 2003-model G4. It has audio inputs but no microphone jack - so I can record from the Hi-Fi, but not from a standard mic. I was one of the “lucky few” who bought during the great mic-jack drought. I think they should have shipped a compatible microphone with each computer - or at least made it plain and clear to purchasers that the long-time standard mic-input had been dumped in favour of a poorly supported alternative.

That bugged me with my old machine although I had a USB headset with mic, which did the trick. For the non-input machines, you need one of these:

Enquiries I’ve made close to home initially result in puzzled looks (“you want a what???”) then suggestions of some relatively expensive options, like USB. I can buy a regular mic for $10-$20 and it would probably suit my needs but these other options seems to start at $100 (Australian) and go up from there.

I’ve got an earphone-mic headset here but I can only use the earphones, the other plug just hangs there :frowning:

Do you have the latest Garageband btw? It comes with a whole bunch of sound effects. I used some like cricket noises (the bug not the game) and crowd noises.

No. I’ve never had GarageBand though I’ve heard of others using it (I believe it shipped with later OSs). I’ve been using Audacity for most audio stuff. Maybe I’ll check out GB at some point too.